Unintended Consequences - veryoldbear

Once upon a time, somebody invented mobile phones. Then people used to drive while yakking. This was then deemed to be a Bad Thing, and them in charge decided to make it illegal.

Then people decided that it was better to send each other text messages, so that they could not be seen yakking. All the had to do was to keep the mobile below the window line, thus ensuring that their attention was not on the road, but on their silly toy which was somewhere down near groin level.

And lo, it came to pass, that many of these texting twits started to run into the back of other cars ....

Do we now have a situation where there are more mobile-induced accidents CAUSED by making mobile phone use illegal ?

Answers on a post card please ...

Unintended Consequences - RT

Only because the "new" law is rarely policed.

The public obsession with mobile phones is the scourge of modern living - yes, I do have one - for emergencies and for the handful of people in my life important enough to possibly need to make urgent contact.

When I'm driving it stays in my pocket - if it rings during a journey I pull off the motorway at the next junction, find somewhere safe and legal to park and call the person back - if I receive a text it gets dealt with later in the day when I have nothing more important to do.

People who need to use their phone a lot for work should be sat at a desk, either in their office or at home - simples!

Unintended Consequences - mss1tw

Bought and fitted a Bluetooth adapter for my upgraded head unit.

Fitted a windscreen suction-mount cradle for the phone so I can use it for GPS, and see if it's an important call or not.

Job done. It's hardly rocket science and everyone's happy. Even me.

Unintended Consequences - jamie745

Scourge of modern living or do you just naturally hate progress? If used properly the mobile phone enables you to do things easier and faster than 20 years ago.

As for the law well it's clearly bonkers. It's rare laws are made against very specific offences and the reason is clear; It's clearly illegal for me to drive along holding a phone in my hand yet nothing in the law says I can't drive holding a frying pan.

I get very poor reception using a frying pan.

Well yes you would do. The stupidity of the law is that it's illegal to merely hold the phone, even if you're not interacting with it, yet I can hold anything else and that's a judgement call in terms of DWDC.

Unintended Consequences - Engineer Andy

I think the law referes to "using a mobile phone" or likely anything that could be construed as providing the same function as a mobile phone (so unless your frying pan has some feature we're not aware of, then its ok) - i.e. you are concentrating on making the call (dialing and speaking whilst trying to operate the car controls, which, unlike talking to a passenger, you cannot just stop and put the phone down whilst you mnake a manourvre and pick up where you left off without some error (the distraction).

I believe this is why (as well as the hearing problem caused) use of personal stereos or iPods, etc where you wear headphones is also banned for drivers (and motorscylists/cyclists). What I (and HJ - he's said so many times) is why smoking is not also banned for drives whilst driving along, given that eating/drinking is - his (approx) words of "you are trying to set something dangling from your mouth on fire whilst driving" are quite telling.

I think to be on the safe side everyone should just stick to making phonecalls (even on hands-free systems), like eating/drinking/smoking until you've stopped the car and turned the engine off. As I've observed, the person on the other end of the phone conversation won't be able to know that you'll need to suddenly concentrate on a tricky manourvre and temporarily keep quiet. Nothing is that important that you have to answer it when you're driving - better to have a "pager" system that says X, Y or Z has called, then you can find a convenient place to stop to call them back. Better to be safe than sorry.

Unintended Consequences - coopshere
I'm definitely with you on this one RT only I would go further and include banning anything whilst driving e.g. Food, drinks, cigarettes etc.

And no Jamie I'm not against progress, I use all manner of modern technology, but not whilst driving. Driving requires attention and concentration, there are already far too many idiots on the road, allowing them to use toys and gadgets whilst driving is just asking for more accidents.

So eating an apple in a traffic jam at 0.5mph should be illegal then? I don't even mind people texting at the traffic lights, so long as they put the sodding phone down and move off when it goes green.

As for food, would I be banned from going through the KFC drive through and having the bag on my passenger seat on the way home? Or would I only be fined if I touched the bag en route?

Unintended Consequences - unthrottled

It's clearly illegal for me to drive along holding a phone in my hand yet nothing in the law says I can't drive holding a frying pan.

Well Jimmy Carr successfully argued against his 3 points for using a mobile phone by arguing that he was actually recording a joke onto a dictaphone and not using a mobile phone.

It depends what we think the crux of the problem is: holding a device or interacting with a remote object which distracts the driver from the task of driving.

For me, it's clearly a case of the latter. Hands-free would save me 3 points and £60 but there's no way I would argue that it is 'safer'. Your mileage may vary.

Unintended Consequences - MikeTorque

Humans by definition do lots of stupid things whilst driving, such as eating, drinking, reaching for this and that, using a hand held mobile phone, etc. However, for any of these things, including holding a frying pan, if the result is a driver losing control of their vehicle or causing a situation whereby they cause someone to take avoidance action or crash then clearly there could be fatal consequences and the person(s) concerned must face justice (whatever that happens to be for the country the incident occurs).

So is there an answer to all this ?
Only if every person takes & accepts full responsibility for their lives and the lives of other road users and drives as safely as they can, we would then all make a positive contribution to road safety.

My original point was (I think) that current legislation almost encourages people to text, which to my mind is more dangerous than yakking.

Unintended Consequences - MikeTorque

It's not the legislation that's the problem. Some vehicle manufacturers have Bluetooth, audio, handsfree and voice recognition capability installed into their vehicles that will actually allow a text message to be read out aloud, assuming the phone supports such a feature.

Technological advancements will continue, it's up to us how we use them. Legislation usually lags behind the technology.

Edited by MikeTorque on 04/01/2013 at 18:19

Unintended Consequences - Armitage Shanks {p}

My 6 year old sat nav reads out my text messages to me. I can't see that having a hands free call via a Blue tooth link is more dangerous/risky thnt listening to the radio or having a conversation with a passenger.

Unintended Consequences - jc2

My 6 year old sat nav reads out my text messages to me. I can't see that having a hands free call via a Blue tooth link is more dangerous/risky thnt listening to the radio or having a conversation with a passenger.

Probably less-an awful number of people can't converse with a passenger without looking at them!!!

Unintended Consequences - Cyd

As a self employed electrician, my smart phone is the lifeline of my business.

But I agree, mobile phones are a boon and a scourge in equal measure.

Unintended Consequences - Sofa Spud

Over the last 10+ years that I've had a mobile phone, I have never once felt the need to use it while driving. Even when it was not a specific offence to use one while driving, it never crossed my mind to do so.

For those who feel they can't exist without a mobile, either for lifestyle or business reasons, hands-free mobiles have been around for years. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should need to use a hand-held mobile while driving these days.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 05/01/2013 at 23:44

Unintended Consequences - Bobbin Threadbare

Over the last 10+ years that I've had a mobile phone, I have never once felt the need to use it while driving. Even when it was not a specific offence to use one while driving, it never crossed my mind to do so.

For those who feel they can't exist without a mobile, either for lifestyle or business reasons, hands-free mobiles have been around for years. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should need to use a hand-held mobile while driving these days.

Me neither.

I particularly despise seeing a parent in a Range Rover or the like, driving with one hand and using the other to clamp a mobile to their ear, when they have children in the back.

I particularly despise seeing a parent in a Range Rover or the like, driving with one hand and using the other to clamp a mobile to their ear, when they have children in the back.

9 times out of 10 it's a woman as well, which no doubt annoys you even more.