Citroen C1 - Clutch/Gearbox issues - dom123

Hi all,

Hoping to get a bit of advice. I have a Citroen C1 (Rhythm, 2008) with a manual gearbox, and an issue has developed within the last day or so.

When the engine is idling, for example if in neutral, if I depress the clutch I hear a rattling noise. Similarly if I'm driving, and change gear at a low speed where the engine revs are low (~1000RPM), I will hear a rattling when the clutch is depressed.

I've not experienced gears not engaging or loss of power.

Could anyone advise me on what might be the problem here? If there's a problem I would prefer to take action on it sooner rather than later!

I'm meant to be driving home for Christmas tonight so won't want to spend the night on a hard shoulder somewhere :)

Many thanks,

Dom

Citroen C1 - Clutch/Gearbox issues - injection doc

Sounds very much like a clucth issue if its rattling when the clucth is depressed.

Citroen C1 - Clutch/Gearbox issues - Peter.N.

If it still drives OK the chances are that it will continue to do so untill something fails, the level of noise/vibration when the clutch is depressed should give you some idea of impending failure, if you are doing a long journey use the clutch as little as possible. It could be the fingers on the clutch plate breaking but if it still disengages OK it could last, if it fails you will end up unable to disengage the clutch but if you put it in gear and start it and 'feel' your way into the gears you should be able to drive it if you are reasonably experienced. You need to leave plenty of space between you and the car in front, I have driven a car over 100 miles with no clutch and of course on the motorway its a doddle.

Citroen C1 - Clutch/Gearbox issues - galileo

if it fails you will end up unable to disengage the clutch but if you put it in gear and start it and 'feel' your way into the gears you should be able to drive it if you are reasonably experienced. You need to leave plenty of space between you and the car in front, I have driven a car over 100 miles with no clutch and of course on the motorway its a doddle.

I once drove from Ipswich to Edinburgh with no clutch (admittedly years ago with less traffic) so the hints above are good - anticipate coming up to traffic lights etc, turn off if you have to stop and unless on an uphill road should have no problem starting after engaging first or even second.