All - Be very careful of motability - izzybee

Be very careful if thinking about a motability car as it may not be as good a deal as you think for the following

You don't get a NCD and may loose your insurance claims discount if you have a motability car over 3 years [I found out the hard way]

I had a motability car that went wrong on day one and it kept going wrong until the entire gearbox shut down on me. The car was on the 5 year HP variant, motability told me I was responsible for the repair costs which is contrary to English law. After Solicitors letters/court letters I was removed from the scheme and told I could appeal which I did, this was rejected but the letter did contain a date which I could be reconsidered, this has now passed but and here's the really annoying bit I have been told I can now re appeal against the appeal even though the original didn't state this

So Please be very careful if you are considering motability. Personally I would always go private for your motoring needs.

Izzy

All - Be very careful of motability - oldroverboy

The car was on the 5 year HP variant, motability told me I was responsible for the repair costs.

But did you choose the HP variant because you would own the car at the end of the agreement. IE, your motability allowance funds the car and at the end you sell it and pocket the proceeds. I know someone, ( a nice lady, who went down this route, but came unstuck as she found out she was liable for the repairs) (especially after her 20yr old son trashed it when he wasn't on the named drivers.

It's called having your cake and eating it too. I realise very much that it was probably not explained to you, it certainly was not explained to her! (her agreement was over 3 years, but same rules probably apply.)

Motability are perhaps a charity, but they are a BIG business too, I bet they didn't tell you either about the ncd.

This is not a "pop" at you, it is how these things work, I have recently seen my neighbours wife who cannot even walk out of the house lose her motability car as the criteria have changed, and yes, they gave them notice and that was that. Now they have to appeal etc, just like you.

All - Be very careful of motability - No FM2R II

>>You don't get a NCD and may loose your insurance claims discount if you have a motability car over 3 years

Usually not.

NCD proof is normally supplied by one insurer to another as "n years NCD". And clearly if you have not had insurance in your own name that is not possible.

If, however, someone who has insured a vehicle supplies a letter or similar which says "we insured car x and izzybee was the main driver, and there were no claims or incidents in 3 years." then it would be a rare insurer who wouldn't accept that.

>>Yet the extent of the UK's debt to China is such that every man, woman and child in the UK owes the Chinese the equivalent of £80,000

No they don't.

Try this...

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/

and this...

http://www.indexmundi.com/china/public_debt.html

Don't forget also that the figures as to who owes what are complex;

e.g. we might owe some money to German, which is similar to what they owe to Italy which is similar to what they owe to China. Or indeed the same circle the other way around.

Also don't forget that some of the money China owes will be owed directly to the UK, and vice versa.Finally, National Debt doesn't really work in the way that you might expect if thinking of one person in debt to another.

Also, you placed the word "equivalent" in the wrong place, even if one acepted the figures.

Edited by No FM2R II on 17/08/2012 at 18:26

I hadn't thought about it to be honest, I'd assumed the second one.

All - Be very careful of motability - bathtub tom

In monetary terms haven't we adopted the American billion, a thousand million, or ten to the power of nine?

All - Be very careful of motability - Smileyman

What ever we owe to China probably came about from importing goods that used to be made in this country, resulting in UK PLC having to pay benefits to unemployed who lost their jobs as a result of jobs being exported to China...

All - Be very careful of motability - bonzo dog

resulting in UK PLC having to pay benefits to unemployed who lost their jobs as a result of jobs being exported to China

The manufacturing jobs were lost, in the main, due to UK industries becoming uncompetetive.

A number of factors helped cause this, one of them being the high wages demanded & gained for unskiled & semi-skilled workers by the unions.

So now as you say, we pay unskilled & semi-skilled workers to do nothing at a rate comparable to what they would have earned had they remained employed but at a realistic wage.