Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - anothervanman

Any one know what the maximum safe wading depth of a Trafic is? I live in Bognor and have occasional need to drive through floooded roads.

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - ChannelZ

Usually a few inches below the engine air intake.

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - bathtub tom

As long as you don't build up too much of a bow wave.

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - craig-pd130

The recommendation is first gear and about walking pace with a light, constant throttle, isn't it? To avoid water being sucked up the exhaust.

And usually with a level no higher than the centre of the wheelhub, if I remember right.

My brother-in-law managed to get a Focus through an unexpectedly deep ford (no pun intended), the water was above sill height and leaking in through the door seals. It survived but suffered a range of electrical gremlins thereafter.

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - Bobbin Threadbare

Sister's BF drove his Clio through some large puddles and needed a new ECU as a result!

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - madf

If the water reaches approx 10cms below the centre of the wheels, the followoing will get very wet:

ABS sensors and rotors,

Brake electronics.

Wheel and driveshafts bearings..

Given that there are holes in many floorpans sealed with rubber plugs which may have been displaced, and electronics mounted on the floor could get wet..

I go out of my way to avoid fords..

Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - daveyjp
Check where the air intake is. Low down, Behind the front bumper isn't unknown.
Renault Trafic 2011 - Wading Depth - injection doc

also most people forget that water finds its way through gearbox drive shaft seals & the gearbox breather vent, the water then contaminates the gearbox and few months later it fails !

water pentrates the clutch housing as well and drys it all out and causes corrosion galore and a sticky plate.

Seriously watch out for bow waves.

I have seen so much damage done by deep water to cars I laugh to myself everytime I see people driving through deep water so confidently ! mind you its even funnier when they dont see a lifted manhole cover and a wheel drops in and leaves em stranded.

dont recommend driving through water, use a boat.