Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - Stewy J

The Saxo starts ok and engine revs up no problem,the fun starts when starting to move off and the engine stalls.

On checking the glow plugs( through battery charger ) one was found to be faulty no reading, after replacing it with a good old one the problem had disappeared good result.

A week on and the problem is back ,again one plug has no glow.I haven't replaced it yet

but before i purchase a new set am i missing something here.

Why would a glow plug cause this problem of moving off when the engine is running ok.

I believe that this model has no ECU fitted .

If it had an EGR fitted would this cause the problem.

Appreciate any comment.

Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - Peter.N.

Once the engine has started the glow plugs ahould have litle effect except to stop it smoking, it sounds as though you have something restricting the fuel flow and the most likely thing is the fuel filter, when was it last changed?

Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - Stewy J

Thanks for replying Peter, sorry for not replying earlier visiting Huddersfield.

The filter was one of my first thoughts so i changed it earlier.

Everything is pointing at the glow plugs i will be changing these at weekend, fingers crossed.

Thanks

Stew

Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - thunderbird

m

Once started Glow Plugs have no effect on running whatsoever. Don't watse your money. You need to find someone who understands diesels instead of just throwing parts at it.

Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - gordonbennet

Assuming the engine pulls normally once running along, i'm thinking towards a loose or bad connection at the stop solenoid mounted on the fuel pump, could be being triggered by pulling away, when you fiddled about putting the glow plug in you might have disturbed it, there could be a break anywhere in the loom.

I'd try putting a temporary feed to the stop solenoid from the battery (inline fused for safety) and see what happens, very basic short circuiting the ignition system.

On CAV pumps it was possible to remove the stop solenoid (can't remember if Bosch the same), remove plunger and then put the solenoid back on again, we did that on a mate's Orion when his solenoid failed till he could get a new one, it proves failure one way or another.

If you do remove the plunger you will have to stall stop the engine or loosen the filter bleed valve to stop.

Some of these pumps had problems when water entered the system through years of neglect, lets hope it isn't pump on the way out, good little car those worth the effort.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/05/2012 at 17:53

Citroen Saxo 1.5 Diesel - Revs but Stalls on moving off. - mickeybo

The Saxo starts ok and engine revs up no problem,the fun starts when starting to move off and the engine stalls.

On checking the glow plugs( through battery charger ) one was found to be faulty no reading, after replacing it with a good old one the problem had disappeared good result.

A week on and the problem is back ,again one plug has no glow.I haven't replaced it yet

but before i purchase a new set am i missing something here.

Why would a glow plug cause this problem of moving off when the engine is running ok.

I believe that this model has no ECU fitted .

If it had an EGR fitted would this cause the problem.

Appreciate any comment.