Lacetti 1.6 SX - Chevrolet Lacetti Automatic Engine Warning light - BerksShaun

Purchased this car in Nov 2010 and off/on it's been a pain in the back side.

Cut a long story short, a few months after purchase the car started to struggle to change it's gears (automatic transmission), and had a loss of power, uphill especially, the engine warning light appeared, and car had loss of power. NOTE, this only happens when the roads are wet.

Took the car to my local garage where purchased. They could not diagnose but recommended taking to the local Vauxhall garage. They struggled to diagnose also, but changed spark plugs (didn't resolve), changed the O2 sensor (didn't resolve). Eventually after the car had been in the garage 4/5 times they suggested the electric box needs replacing (note the door locks click quite regularly for no reason), cost 1,000 pounds! no chance I thought.

Since last Summer generally the car has been running ok, but yesterday the problem returned, guess what, it rained hard, and the roads were very wet. This time, worst ever, the car seriously lost power, and I had to pull over to the side of the road 3 times.

After turning off/on engine, the car got me to my destination without too many problems. And then got me home later, but the engine warning light is still apparent.

It's history has shown me, that once dried out, the problem will dissapear for a while, but I can't tolerate such loss of power that I have to pull over again.

This morning, my 32 mile drive to work, including motorway driving was pretty ok, although the shuddering that also happens at same time was apparent for 1st part of the journey.

And this stage, I'm considering getting rid of the car, does it really need a new electric unit? The car had 39,000 on the clock when purchased, and now has 67,000.

I've read forums that talk about using redex, and ir the problem could be a faulty EGR Valve.

Not being technical, and having lost faith in the Vauxhall dealership, I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by BerksShaun on 10/04/2012 at 17:01