Vauxhall corsa 1.2 - Cold starting problem - Darncorsa

Hi John

I have a corsa for my daughter and have a cold starting problem. The parts I have changed are, engine oil (5/40 grade) and filter, coil pack, plugs, air filter, fuel filter and MAF (mass airflow meter) twice and temperature switch.

When cold I cannot start the engine, its just revs then dies down and splutters to a stop. If I disconnect the MAF electric connection, the car fires up and is not a problem, other than eventually giving a MAF code reading as you would expect and engine light on the dash. Sometimes when the engine warms up and is still running, I can reconnect the MAF and the car will run fine (but only after the engine is up to running temperature). With the MAF disconnected its not a problem running but probably running with wrong air/fuel mix I guess. Tried 2 new bosh MAF's and same problem. Its as if the engine thinks its up to running temperature when its cold, so thinks it needs no choke when cold. Hope that makes sense. Any help please?

Hi All. Not sure if anyone can help me here. Just concerned about driving it with the MAF disconnected for a period of time. Thanks

Vauxhall corsa 1.2 - Cold starting problem - 1litregolfeater

You're wasting your time throwing MAFs at it, as has surely occurred to you by now.

While intrinsically there couldn't be anything neater than a Corsa, it has engine management that allows the poor engine to die a poor but managed death, in the ownership of one simple woman, over the course of 40,000 miles, with no oil changes whatsoever.

I only mention woman of course, in the cause of equality.

These engines have so many sensors you need to read out what they're saying.

You need to get a good electronic tool off the internet, there are many available, but one is particularly suitable. I got one and I can do everything the dealer can.

Well thanks 1litregolfeater. You have been very helpful. Never thought of it being a mental problem, as in young ladies and not a physical one. Also thanks for mentioning that great tool off the internet. I will take a guess at what its called and give it a good bash. Shall i search 'good electrical tool off the internet', 'there are many available', or 'one is particularly suitable'?.

Alright, get an op-com off ebay. They cost 20 or 30 quid but take a month to arrive, and you may have software issues if you're not good at computers. Get one off a good seller.

Had mine for a while now and it's paid for itself ,any times.

One can only imagine what the loss of the revenue stream GM forecasted all those years ago might have done to their business.

But we don't get ripped off as much as we used to (unless we choose to)