Citroen Berlingo Multispace mk2 54 plate - LED numberplate lamps - mss1tw

My Berlingo seems to destroy LEDs. I have changed the filament lamps in the number plate lights (Ironically as they are a pain to do, so I decided to fit 'everlasting' LEDs.

They have all ended up flickering and failing.

The previous two were fine in the dashboard of my motorbike before I replaced the clocks so I know they are up to the rigours of vehicle use.

Is it due to CANBUS? If anything I would have thought that would require and supply a cleaner voltage than a normal electrical system!

Is there such a thing as heavy duty LEDs?

I've changed them again but I don't hold much hope.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace mk2 54 plate - LED numberplate lamps - Ben79

How about heavy duty 5w tail lamps? Halfords sell them (expensive, but if they last longer...)

Citroen Berlingo Multispace mk2 54 plate - LED numberplate lamps - Peter.N.

Are you sure the bulbs are actually failing, have you tested them after removal?

Citroen Berlingo Multispace mk2 54 plate - LED numberplate lamps - TeeCee

If it's destroying number plate lamp bulbs, even LED ones, the most likely cause is a duff earth somewhere. If filament bulbs fail with a heavily blackened appearence to their envelopes, this is disgnostic. Check for a seperate earth lead from the lamp unit screwed to the bodywork in that area. If none, it'll be earthing back through the unit to the body, so remove the lamp unit and ensure there's good contact there (or solder an earth wire onto it and attach it to the body somewhere).

The Berlingo's got a tail door, so the earth lead probably runs back through a flexible boot to attach to the shell somewhere in the rear of the vehicle. If so, check the wiring inside the flexible boot. Fatigue breakage in the conductors of the wire or a "chewed" lead, due to entrapment, in this area is all too common on many vehicles.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace mk2 54 plate - LED numberplate lamps - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I found that LED front sidelights on my car failed after only a short time. It strikes me that putting LEDs across the raw fluctuating DC of a car doesn't do 'em any good! Remember that the nominal 12 volts goes up and down a bit with the engine revs. Properly designed LED vehicle lights wil use LED driver circuits to ensure a constant current.

powerelectronics.com/mag/508PET21.pdf