Volvo V70 - Re-importing into U.K. - dinosaur
Having brought my car over to Spain 5 years ago I now need to come back to the U.K. and bring the vehicle with me in a coup[le of months time. It currently has Spanish registration, insurance, tax and test certificate and the earliest document expires in 7 months time. Enquiries at the DVLA and a local Veh.tax office leave me confused about how to convert the car back properly and legally. I can't get British insurance without a Brit registration but I can't get that without taxing and testing it .. and I can't tax it without insuring it!! Has anybody done this? Which do you do first? How long does it all take and do I need to do it as soon as I land back in the U.K. Also the DVLA say that the car will get back the last number that was assigned to it (a personalised plate) but a local tax office official says that it will be assigned it's first registered number (a '51 plate). Which is correct?
Volvo V70 - Re-importing into U.K. - Dwight Van Driver

http://tinyurl.com/3pewngc

Tick the Custom Pack

Browse and complete at leisure

dvd

Volvo V70 - Re-importing into U.K. - Peter D

Do you still have your private plate on a retention certificate. Regards Peter

Volvo V70 - Re-importing into U.K. - dinosaur

No. Unfortunately this was overlooked when we came to Spain. It has not appeared on the DVLA cherished numbers list since and I assumed it had been re-issued. The DVLA say they don't do this and I was surprised when someone there told me it would automatically be reassigned back to the vehicle. If so this will save me buying another number.

Volvo V70 - Re-importing into U.K. - Collos25

All insurance companies I have dealt with both in the UK and Germany have had no problem insuring the car on the VIN till the correct plate was issued.