Anger Management - Hugo {P}
There have been a few threads recently that have created some debate of how the driving habits of some other road users annoy fellow back roomers. I didn't agree with all the opinions but I was happy to enter into the debate and state my views, even if I was a little blunt.

Without wishing to sound sanctemonious (I don't know if I can even spell it), I would be interested to hear others' views.

I am human just like any other driver and, yes I have almost certainly committed all of the sins covered in these threads at least once and I am not proud of it.

It's easy to get wound up with other road users' actions from time to time, especially with all the other stresses in life. I'm far from perfect in this. However what I found is that on the odd occasion that I have not had a stressful day I have reacted totally differently to the seemingly bizarr actions of some other road users, including, tailgating, pulling out right in front of me and generally driving with complete oblivion to their surroundings.

Indeed, it is when I haven't been stressed that I have surprised myself at how patient I have been. After taking evasive action and swearing, I am now trying to ease up on the 'follow through behaviour'.

After all, the chances are if the other driver has made a mistake, as we all do, there is no point in loosing your rag. If he's an idiot - so what. If he's driving aggresively or reacting to some percieved or real action from you, the safest option may be to slow up and allow him to overtake.

Has anyone else tried this? Have your family begged you to ease up behind the wheel? Do you just feel better by letting go?

I hope this will create a productive discussion. Let's have your pet hates and how you react to them.
Anger Management - BrianW
Adding psychological vetting to the driving test would be a good move!
Some people are mentally unsuitable to be in charge of a lethal weapon.
Anger Management - HF
Hugo and Brian - you are both right, in my opinion. However, it's too late at night to expand on that - I had a question, but I think I'll let it drop. Just hope the few of you that have been posting here on Xmas day are ok?
HF
Anger Management - nick
The are loads of prats on the road, or at least people doing pratty things, and we're probably all guilty of doing the same things ourselves occasionally. As I've got older, the incidence of doing daft things has thankfully decreased. I now no longer get het up by the antics of others, I just let them go their own sweet way, much safer and a whole lot less stressful. By the same token, it's much more relaxing keeping to the speed limit, no worries about cameras or unmarked cars.
BTW, HF, I did look in here yesterday. Does that make me, in the words of Alan Partridge, 'saaaad'? :o) (thinking about it, maybe it does, or maybe I'm just an unrecontructed petrolhead!)
Anger Management - wemyss
Hugo anger management is an absolute essential in safe driving and as Brian says many people are simply not fit mentally to be using a tool which can wipe out other people with ease if it's not used in safe mode.
But another thought is why does this aggression show itself so often when people are driving a car. The same people wouldn't exhibit this behaviour if they were walking down the High St and people accidentally stepped in their way.
Is it because these same people feel safe from retaliation when they are encased in a steel box.
Is it because they would shy away from actual face to face confrontation but feel secure that they can just drive away.
Funnily enough in the last few years young women seem to be guilty of the same aggressive behaviour. Is this a new form of emancipation or simply take their example from the male species.
Many questions but no answers but I'm sure we have a friendly shrink among us who can clarify.
Off with my Santa Claus outfit now to get some tools together to refit the daughters front door.
have a good boxing day.
Anger Management - TrevorP
"refit the daughters front door"?

Wassamatter? Brakes on the sleigh not too good?
Anger Management - HF
BTW, HF, I did look in here yesterday. Does that make
me, in the words of Alan Partridge, 'saaaad'? :o) (thinking about
it, maybe it does, or maybe I'm just an unrecontructed petrolhead!)

>>

IMVHO, Nick, it could make you one or the other - only *you* know the answer to that ;)
HF
Anger Management - bazza
Very interesting points you raise Hugo. I have always found it fascinating how seemingly rational people seem to take on a completely different personality once behind the wheel of a car. I’m sure some psychologist somewhere must have written a thesis or book on the subject. Is it a testosterone thing?
My own approach is to try and drive with safety as the number 1 priority. Like yourself I am far from perfect, but by adopting a non- aggressive driving style, I find myself much more relaxed and safe (I hope) behind the wheel. Of course I am myself, like all of us, regularly cut-up or just simply amazed by other road users, but by staying in control mentally, I find it easier to take the appropriate avoiding action to stay safe. Like many others, I find tailgating the most potentially dangerous of nasty habits – my approach is to simply get out of the way and let the potential accident happen somewhere else. If I accidentally cut someone up I always apologise and leave it at that. I never make eye contact or antagonise in any form. If people push in on me, I let them in, what’s the point of antagonising? My goal is always to reach B from A safely and totally in control. If I lose my rag along the way or get adverse comments from my family I will have clearly failed!
By the way, I have found the numerous articles by Ripley in the Telegraph to be very useful for improving general driving skill and control, recommend these to anyone.
Stay safe everyone……..

Anger Management - madf
I find yoga has been very good for my driving.. more self awareness helps me to control my temper.

As for some drivers, they clearly lose any self control when behind a wheel ... Anger mangement courses or yoga or religion or some study of self would help them greatly I think..
madf
Anger Management - Cardew
I go along with controlling anger when driving and its laudable that some contributors to this thread are so tolerant. But perhaps we can look at it from another perspective.

Personally I hate all forms of bullying and ill-mannered behaviour and where possible try to make a stand against it. From school onwards we(males) are taught to stand up to bullies and I suggest, as a policy, it works.

The tailgating, undertaking style of aggressive driving we encounter on our roads is no different to bullying. So it is certainly not my style to "move over and let tailgaters pass" or make room for someone who has raced up the bus lane to cut in front of me.

Perhaps if we all meekly pulled over for intimidating tailgaters and didn't object to being cut up, we would encourage more drivers to adopt these bullying tactics.
Anger Management - madf
"Perhaps if we all meekly pulled over for intimidating tailgaters and didn't object to being cut up, we would encourage more drivers to adopt these bullying tactics"

The moron who tailgated me this week (on Xmas eve) is not going to be long for this world.. 3 metres behind me at 30mph. I slowed to 20 at the narrow spots (in town) and he looked as if he would have heart attack.

Give way? No.. I'll slow the barstewards down...in the interests of their own safety of course:-)
madf
Anger Management - googolplex
I agree that our reaction to situations depends upon our mood. I have to admit that I have done my bit of winding up aggressive drivers: slowing down for tailgaters, closing gap on undertakers etc. However, I realise it doesn't help! I recognise that this is not always the best way of dealing with these issues and at times I am more tolerant than at others.

Given that I am like this, it is obvious that the agressive one is most likely too. That's where we ought to be careful. Who knows when we might have picked a fight with someone who is prepared to take things too far!

Splodgeface
Splodgeface,
"That's where we ought to be careful. Who knows when we might have picked a fight with someone who is prepared to take things too far!"

Without getting into a semantic argument, I submit that you haven't 'picked a fight' if you refuse to be intimidated; also appeasement rarely works.

That said I am certainly not critical of those who feel it is not worth the hassle, however my reaction is different.

C
Cardew

You have a very good point here.

However there are more ways than one to serve notice that aggresive behaviour will not be tolerated.

On one occasion the offender was driving a vehicle with the name of a large local company on the side. I simply memorised the reg and telephone number and rang that company.

I spoke to the company owner who thanked me for the information and agreed to take the matter up with the employee concerned. Should that employee receive a number of similar complaints, then the company should review this individual's position. After all, the company have a legal obligation under the Health and Safety at Work Act to ensure that all practical measures are taken to ensure the safety of the general public.

If this is not a feasable route, then there is always a phone call to old bill. As I have found out, a statement is rarely necessary and they will interview the agressor.

I would have to disagree with Cardew. Whilst I would go along with not being intimidated by bullies in the normal way when coming up against them face to face, it's a different scenario on the road.
I have never been able to walk away from any confrontation in life when faced with threats or abuse when it is only a man doing this. But responding in a motor vehicle could lead to injury, loss of life etc to non-involved people and it would be difficult to live with this afterwards.
In a normal days motoring you could come up against the kind of things we hate half a dozen times and if we retaliated in kind the odds are that sooner or later an accident with it's consequences is going to happen.
IMHO stay cool and let it all go over the top of your head. In time this becomes normal and you hardly notice it happening.
>Without getting into a semantic argument, I submit that you >haven't 'picked a fight' if you refuse to be intimidated.

Cardew I agree wholeheartedly, but my point is that you cannot guarantee that the other driver will agree! There's no time for clever argument and reasoning as a tailgater when the driver in front won't get out the way. As far as the tailgater is concerned, you, the barrier, are a provocative pest. If they've just had a row with the other half or a hard day at the office, who knows how they might react.

You can only take these things so far, and I don't have enough of a gripe to go on a crusade against these bullies.

Splodgeface
Anger Management - Obsolete
Cardew. Ahh, a bit of psychology is called for. If there is a cretin behind you the safest option for you is to get rid of him. (It usually is a him.) How best to do that? Easy. Let him pass, zoom off, and crash elsewhere when you are not around. Then you can have a nice pleasant cretin free drive. Of course it also helps to adopt a condescending and pious 'look at that idiot, tsk tsk' mode.

Long live Darwinism amd the miracle of natural selection.

Leif.
Leif,
You and I are approaching the problem differently.

IMHO what you advocate, under the guise of psychology, as the safest option is shorthand for the easiest option. You are passing the problem on for someone else to deal with and indirectly encouraging such driving. Whilst few of us enjoy confrontation, sometimes it is necessary.

However leaving out the moral niceties, it personally causes me far more stress if I acquiesce to unjust demands rather than stand up for what I believe is correct.

C
Anger Management - HF
Nowt to do with bullying, but today, I came closer to having a major smash-up than I have ever done before. Driving along pretty deserted main road this pm, within 40mph speed limit, car just pulled right out in front of me from a side road. It was only my quick slamming on of brakes that enabled me to stop just before slamming into the woman's car. (thank god I didn't overindulge in the Xmas spirit last night or my reaction might have been slower!)

My anger management skills failed me, they don't usually. I didn't do anything stupid, but have been apologising ever since to my kids (who were with me in the car) for the loud and very expletive language that suddenly emerged from my voicebox towards the said other female driver (who incidentally appeared to be mouthing the same sort of stuff to me!)- my youngest has never heard such words from my lips and I did feel guilty! Don't think they'll be traumatised for life though!
HF
hf, its quite normal to lose ones rag every now and then. I can think of plenty of similar situations where I have gone hopping mad in front of my wife and son. It isn't something I feel proud of. What does worry me is that there are people out there who don't seem to get bothered by poor drivers and claim they can remain calm at ALL times. I've never met one other than on these pages!
Splodgeface
Anger Management - nick
I don't recall anyone saying they remain calm at ALL times, just that that is the best and safest option to aspire to. The red mist can descend on us all, just count to 10 and let 'em go. Works (nearly!) every the time.
Anger Management - volvoman
It's true that I don't drive so much these days but when I do I refuse to get too stressed out. Yes I may mutter the odd obscenity and if some idiot is driving too close I may slow down but that's as far as it goes.
It's true that many of the idiots seem to reserve their most inconsiderate and aggressive behaviour for when they're behind the wheel. I think it's a combination of feeling insultated and protected from the outside world which accounts for it.

Nothing good can ever come out of a confrontation between angry motorists - a serious accident, assault or even worse is more likely to be the end result so the best thing is not to get involved, just let it go. Life's too short after all !
Spot on Volvo.. What else can you do.
Perhaps let the idiot pass you and then tailgate him?.
Put your foot down and turn it into a race?.
As you say a muttered curse and let it go.
Anger Management - Derfel
Yes, could not agree more and would add that any conflict taking place on the road can so easily end up involving completely blameless and unconnected third parties.

IMHO everyone gets angry on the road at some stage but it is all about anger management and avoiding conflict.
It is of course perfectly possible to refuse to be intimidated by tailgaters or willingly let someone cut you up AND still remain calm yourself.

C.

PS
I hope the vicar doesn't "phone ahead"whilst driving!!!
HJ that is Spot On.

That is the kind of mind set that I should like to aspire to.

Also there is nothing like more serious events to put the everyday trivia into perspective.

Just last May bank holiday, I was having a bad day and found out that a non fault accident (occurred Nov 2001) was going to turn into a fault accident for me and I then I heard that 2 people were killed on the M5. There was just no comparison.

Thanks for your post HJ and a happy new year!

H
Anger Management - smokie
Brings to mind a recent saying I heard - was it on here?

"Better late in this world than early in the next..."

I've thought of that many times since hearing it - worth everyone remembering it!
Anger Management - HF
"Better late in this world than early in the next..."

Exactly the same meaning, smokie, as something that I say a lot - 'I'd rather get there late than not get there at all'.
HF
or just plain old:

"better late than never..."

Any other versions?

Splodgeface
It is a pity that nowdays the rear of cars is a crumple zone.
The best deterrent would be an RSJ bolted to the back of the car, one touch of the brakes and the tailgater has no front end.
Anger Management - THe Growler
In Manila, a Glock 9mm in the glovebox is a great tension-reliever, nice warm feeling of "well,I could've but I didn't" :-)
Anger Management - PatriciaX
Oh how I have tried and tried to remain calm on the road ... but alas, I loose my patience all to often!

And I honestly do not know why! I have been known in my day-to-day life to have a nip of a temper ;-) in fact, when that certain cycle time comes around ... I could quite happily gnarl my wonder husband's head off, with a smile! But my day-to-day life is usually quite calm.

However, I get very very angry when im driving and someone does a stupid thing! Fast drivers, slow drivers, dangerous manourvres, sloppy parking etc etc. makes my blood boil: I swear, glare and tootle off with a huff. (I swear very badly, Im afraid.) I do this on motorways and around the village; Sunday Drivers make me so angry!

And I should not do this! Since I have vastly increased the mileage I do on motorways recently, my attitude in the car has not changed, however. I let cars in, I do the little indicator dance to say thanks to those behind, Im courteous and leave a good 3 seconds distance between me and the next car, but I get very hot under the collar if someone acts like a todger!

I have absolutely no idea why this is the case and I do need to relax more. But some people really need to learn how to drive!!!! ;-)

Patricia
x
Anger Management - TrevorP
"some people really need to learn how to drive!!!!"

possibly - maybe even probably.

HOWEVER - the safest approach is to EXPECT them to be idiots,
and to RELAX.
Cardew.

What I advocate is definitely not the easiest option! It took me months to learn to stay calm and not retaliate when faced with dangerous and/or aggressive driving. Safety is paramount. It is not cowardice or laziness to avoid confrontation when in the car.

How can my retaliating do any good? (They are such poor drivers that they are unaware that their behaviour is bad.) As for car wars, nahhh. Life is too short.

Anyway, happy driving! Leif.
Leif,
I was certainly not advocating retaliation in any way - I do not define retaliation as a refusal to be bullied.

It is also perfectly possible to refuse to be intimidated and remain cool and calm while doing so.

C
Cardew. Glad to hear it. I certainly don't allow myself to be intimidated either. Leif.
Leif,
The typical example of tailgating occurs when you are in a queue of traffic in the outside lane and wanting to go faster yourself.

The point I was making is that if you move over, when you do not want to, because of a tailgater you are being intimidated, bullied, call it what you want.

I am not saying those who feel it is not worth the hassle are wrong, merely that I don't. Also having intimidated one driver into submission they move on to the next one.

C
Some years ago in fairly heavy on the North Circular Road, driving round to my grandfather's house at Ealing, some daft idiot was taking pleasure in coming up fast behind each car and braking at the last minute to tailgate them.

A mile or so later I had to undertake him on the inside coming up to a set of traffic lights.

He was stopped in the outside lane with the front of his car impaled into the rear of some innocent.
Some years ago in fairly heavy on the North Circular Road,
driving round to my grandfather's house at Ealing, some daft idiot
was taking pleasure in coming up fast behind each car and
braking at the last minute to tailgate them.
A mile or so later I had to undertake him on
the inside coming up to a set of traffic lights.
He was stopped in the outside lane with the front of
his car impaled into the rear of some innocent.

....and a nice warm "told you so" feeling came on all over you I bet! :-)

Happy new year!

H
The last two days saw me driving my recently acquired van along the windy westcountry lanes and the A390 that runs between St Austell and Liskeard in Cornwall.

This Renault Trafic van is fitted with a non turbo 2.1L diesel that as the acceleration of a snail.

I found that cars getting stuck behind me was an occupational hazard. When I could not go fast I regularly pulled over to let cars go by, but even when I couldn't drivers did seem to be more tolerent.

This was either because they knew I could not go any faster or that they were not man enough to take me on! Or Maybe one doesn't notice tailgating so much in a van that size.

There were a few of the usual cases where people overtook close to blind bends but all I had to do was to slow up a bit to reduce the chap's chances of having an accident. I also prepared myself to brake more abruptly should I have needed to. After all, I don't give a damn about the person overtaking me, it's the innocent party coming the other way that I would worry about.

I noticed a distinct lack of a need to keep up with the flow of traffic, because I knew that any attempt along certain stretches of road would be futile.

So, if anyone has a problem with other car drivers - buy a similar vehicle. You feel well protected, you don't give a damn and your lack of ability to keep up the speed on these country lanes exhonerates you from becoming a target for these idiots.

H