Key Scam - jamie745

Today i was told about a new form of scam by a friend of mine who works in a dealership. Its more something for private sellers to watch out for though.

People will come and see your car, usually a couple and they'll have fake keys which match the keys to the car, at some point when out of your sight they'll swap them over (if you give them just the key on its own its even easier for them to do this) hand your keys back, say they'll be in touch, wait for you to go inside then drive your car away with the real key. I dont think its particularly new, im sure this sort of thing has happened before (probably as old as the card trick to be honest) but if you read around on the net including some other forums you might see theres been a few instances of it reported recently.

These crooks depend on alot of variables to pull this off and might have to go and see 15 cars before they get the opportunity but just a warning to anybody selling a halfway desirable car privately.

Key Scam - Avant

Thanks for that salutary reminder that anyone selling a car privately needs to take extreme care at all stages of the process.

If one is buying new or nearly-new, there is a strong case for PX: at the cheaper end of the market this may not be possible or financially viable, and in some cases it's useful to look at alternatives like Suresell and Webuyanycar. The thing to watch for here is that the reserve prices put on cars going through the auctions are very low.

Key Scam - jamie745

Another thing to mention is with these cases the owners have had wranglings with their insurance firms who get very iffy in cases like this. They may take the view that you have provided them with the key when in fact you've asked for it back and seemingly received it back. In my view its no different to breaking into someones house at 3am and nicking the car key off the kitchen counter and driving the car away.

Key Scam - madf

I have my keys on a keyring with other keys. Impossible to remove quickly and no chance of a switch.

Simples.

Key Scam - Oilyman

This scam was shown on the BBC Real Hustle a while ago. Nice of them to show regulars scamsters how to actually get away with it!

Key Scam - oldroverboy

Funny thing happened when I wanted to sell my 1976 triumph trident a 10 years back, someone came to see it (2 men with atransit van) and offered to take it there and then for £1500, which was £700 less than i wanted, but said they would send me the cheque later! Happily someone I knew said he would have it for my asking price, and took it away that weekend, so not there when my garage door got forced a couple of days later....

Key Scam - jamie745

I heard of a brilliant one recently where the owner of a classic 911 was alerted to a possible scumbag in the area, he'd been seen scanning garages and driveways from his van for a few days. The guy had seen the Porsche and the owner was very suspicious. Later that night the key for the 911 was left on the windowsill, the garage was left unlocked which may sound careless but imagine the thief's surprise when he discovered the owner had taken the engine out....

I have my keys on a keyring with other keys. Impossible to remove quickly and no chance of a switch.

Not totally impossible, these people spend days on end practicing changing keys over at the speed of light but if they dont get the opportunity they dont push it they just move on to the next car and try their luck again. Of course its more difficult for them if you give them keys on a distinctive keyring or something but most people remove the key from their normal keys and leave it on its own.

This scam was shown on the BBC Real Hustle a while ago. Nice of them to show regulars scamsters how to actually get away with it!

And they say the BBC doesnt provide a quality public service anymore?

Key Scam - madf

Homer Simpson in full colour is also on my keyring and holding on for dear lif (he's in rubber ) so removal of anything is a lengthy job..

I keep my housekeys on a separate keyring .

Key Scam - jamie745

I have my car key just on a black leather keyring with a solid silver Jaguar's head growling.

Key Scam - richardcroft

'I have my car key just on a black leather keyring with a solid silver Jaguar's head growling.'

jamie, thanks for the tip. I'll remember that when your car comes up for sale. ;)

Key Scam - jamie745

Could be the best £24.99 you ever spend!*

* Yes i know thats a ridiculous amount to spend on a keyring, and that was half price, my old Peugeot one was a £2.39 jobby off Ebay.

Edited by jamie745 on 12/11/2011 at 21:44

Key Scam - SteveLee

Old Scam, I file a couple of discrete notches into the key of any car I'm selling. So I know I've got "my" key back.