'52 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 Estate - Noise - Tyres ? Something Else ? - RogEnfield

I like huge rear wheel drive estates, so just bought this '52 Vauxhall Omega V6 Estate, good price, good condition, low miles (54k). I've had one before and like them.

But . . . . there's a kind of whining noise. I can't isolate it to one area like front, back, left, or right. Low pitched when slow, high pitched at speed, almost disappears above 70mph. Car is fiited with new-looking tyres branded "Sunny".

So is it cheap tyres or something more sinister ? I'm off driving in Europe very soon, so need a bit of confidence in what I'm driving. If it's the tyres I can live with it and replace them at some stage.

Cheers

Edited by RogEnfield on 18/09/2011 at 10:42

'52 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 Estate - Noise - Tyres ? Something Else ? - SteveLee

Jack it up and check the wheel bearings, also check the diff oil level.Any proof it's only done 52K miles?

'52 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 Estate - Noise - Tyres ? Something Else ? - RogEnfield

Jack it up and check the wheel bearings, also check the diff oil level.Any proof it's only done 52K miles?

Well, general inside and foot pedal wear looks like 52k-ish and my own HPI check was clean. Also I've had an Omega before up to 160k so have some idea of what to look and listen for. These are not 100% of course . . .

I've not got an informed/expert opinion yet, but I'm now fairly sure it's the tyres.