Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks
Ford C-MAX 2005 1.6 TDCI CVT - EGR Failure, again! - Tony King

After 37000 miles, mostly motorway, ENGINE SYSTEM FAILURE warning was displayed accompanied with a loss of engine power. Recycling the ignition temporarily cleared the fault and restored the power. A visit to the Ford Main dealer cost me nearly £500 for a diagnostic (£200) and a new EGR Valve. Now after a further 19000 miles the same symptoms have occurred. Not wishing to pay £200 for the diagnosis, I had already bought an OBDII reader. It confirmed EGR problems. I removed the valve myself hoping to clean it out and save myself £500. On dismantling the valve I found that the two roller bearing races in the operating mechanism had completely disintegrated. Should a new EGR valve last longer than 19000 miles?

Ford C-MAX 2005 1.6 TDCI CVT - EGR Failure, again! - daveyjp

£300 to fit a new one sounds like a rip off. A new one for my Jag 2.2 diesel was about £100 and took about 20 minutes to fit - my first one lasted about 23,000 miles. Knowing the trips I was doing would cause problems again I sold it and went back to a petrol.

For the inconvenience caused when they do go (limp mode etc) it's almost worth treating them as a service item and fitting a new one every couple of years to prevent problems.

How long they last depends very much on the trips you do and the fuels used.

Ask Honest John

Value my car