Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - JPSW

Does the Ford Mondeo duratec engine have a cam belt or is it a cam chain?

Top Reply

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - Collos25

All duratec means it is double overheadcam petrol and they are made from 1.2 litre to 3.0 litre for the euro market produced in Valencia in Spain.They are chain driven but why you could not look yourself or ask a ford agents it would have been easier or you could look under the bonnet.

All Replies

All duratec means it is double overheadcam petrol and they are made from 1.2 litre to 3.0 litre for the euro market produced in Valencia in Spain.They are chain driven but why you could not look yourself or ask a ford agents it would have been easier or you could look under the bonnet.

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - unthrottled

I would also point out that the much derided cam belt is not without merit. The reliability of a chain is dependant on lubrication. The belt isn't. Providing they are changed at the required intervals, belts are cheap and comparitively trouble free.

I would agree with that.

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - FP

"...belts are cheap..."

...but the cost of labour to change them isn't.

The cost of changing a chain or its sprockets or repairing the damage a broken chain makes is far more expensive and chains do not last forever infact in most cases only last as long as cambelts before they start causing problems eg would be the 1.6hdi cambelt change 150k miles duratec chain recommended change 120k miles chains stretch something awful and cause all sorts of problems before they snap both have merits and downsides but I thing the new breed of belts have the advantage..

"...chains do not last forever infact in most cases only last as long as cambelts before they start causing problems..."

Questionable.

Chains usually give warning before they fail. Belts don't. So no-one in their right mind would leave a belt change until the maximum mileage is reached.

So on the old HDi 2.0 engine the service life was 90,000 miles, but people were generally advised to have them done at around 75,000.

For the current range of Ford Duratec engines information is that the service life of the chain is the life of the engine, or possibly 120,000 miles; the Haynes manual does not list it as a routine procedure, unlike cambelts. Anecdotally, far higher mileages have been reported without problems.

Chains usually give a warning before they break yes about a microsececond.One of the reasons Ford have gone with the Peugeot engines and away from chains is reliability and service costs.Very few engine manufacturers use chains these days like it or not belts are here to stay.Modern day Haynes manuals are as about as much use as a chocolate fireguard so I would not put much credence in what they say.

The one exception on chains is DB they use some of the best materials known to man having their chains and sprockets made wish the same could be said about the bodywork.

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - 659FBE

Either system can be good or bad in terms of durability depending on how well engineered it is.

As a generalisation, PSA design their belt drives very well using common sense detailing such as placing the water pump on the slack side of the belt and ensuring that the number of belt teeth is not wholly divisible by the number of teeth on any significant wheel. Some other manufacturers (VAG for instance) are not so clever.

Much the same can be said of chains, except that over the years chain drives have become much lighter (duplex chains are not now common) and engines generally last longer.

It is this last observation which tips the balance in favour of a good belt drive. When an engine has run to a high mileage and is worth very little, the labour of replacing a chain is disproportionate and the engine will be left to destruction. A considerately designed belt drive system will often be fitted with a new belt.

Belts are lighter and quieter than chains and don't stretch. Chain stretch can be accomodated by a tensioner but the result is a timing shift. An advantage of a chain over a belt is that it reduces the overall length of an engine for a given drive torque capacity - it's narrower and internal shaft oil seals are eliminated. This can be crucial in some installations where a large engine is "shoe horned" into a small chassis.

Vehicle builders know this and take advantage of it - rendering the access in situ to these chains almost impossible as they are not then classed as a maintenance item. These vehicles will be effectively be written off by a worn chain.

The death rattle of a worn chain prior to failure can indeed be a point in its favour - but a surprising number of people will ignore it. A good belt drive will run to at least twice the maker's stipulated change mileage - so the owner usually has himself to blame if failure occurs.

Unfortunately, there are some bad belt installations with poor quality idlers and inappropriate geometry which will often fail prematurely. The belts themselves are durable.

Collos, you seem very certain of yourself.

There's probably not much point in debating things further, but, just to highlight one of the points you make:

"Chains usually give a warning before they break yes about a microsececond."

If they stretch hugely, as you asserted in a previous post, I would expect there to be some very obvious noise long before a chain actually failed.

Edited by FocalPoint on 10/06/2011 at 16:57

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - unthrottled

I wouldn't consider 120,000 miles to be an acceptable 'service life of an engine'-which means that a chain will require replacement-no advantage over the belt. In fact since the cost to change is greater than a belt, the advantage lies with the belt.

A stretched timing chain is not necessarily less catastrophic than a snapped belt if the timing is retarded sufficiently for valve/piston interference to occur-not impossible wit high static compression ratios.

In my opinion, the best option for a road engine is to put the cam back where it belongs-in the block. A very short timing chain/gear drive can then be used which is bulletproof. As much as people hoot with derision regarding pushrods, DOHC are of only marginal benefit on an engine which seldom sees more than 4000RPM-especially when mated to forced induction. GM have put pushrods to good use in their LS1 V8-and scrapped the Northstar DOHC...

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - dbc1702

I am so sorry to drag an old thread up from 2011, but I have an issue.

I have just purchased a 2002 (51 plate) 2.0 Mondeo LX (Duratec HE Engine).

Now, after reading this thrad and others, I am being told by everyone that the mondeo should be CHAIN DRIVEN.

Can this be confirmed? Because mine is Belt Driven.

Thanks in advance, and once again being my first post sorry for dragging an old thread up..

David

Follow up, Ooooops, do you think I was actually looking at the serpentine belt by mistake, what a complete noob. sorry <Blushes very red indeed>

Edited by dbc1702 on 21/04/2013 at 23:56

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - Peter.N.

I think it depends on the year, later Mondeos used the PSA engine and that has a belt.

I don't remember this thread the first ime round but in the olden days before cambelts were invented, all cars had chains or gears and generally they lasted the life of the car, but, that life was generally well less than 100,000 miles, Morris minors started rattling at about 30k.

The first car I had with a belt had a pushrod engine - yes that's right, it was a Citroen CX DTR turbo, you could change it in about half an hour from under the front o/s wing. I think it was fitted to reduce noise as the refinement of diesels was improving at this time and this engine was the bees knees.

Edited by Peter.N. on 22/04/2013 at 12:42

Ford Mondeo 2002 - 2006 - Cam belt/chain - TeeCee

"...belts are cheap..."

...but the cost of labour to change them isn't.

That's entirely dependant on the implementation. Best case is a belt that drives the cams from the crank with a tensioner. Replacing the belt and tensioner is a simple and quick job.

Worst case is a belt that drives the cams, the water pump and possibly other things in a serpentine arrangement via a load of idler pulleys and a tensioner. For added fun, insert an engine mounting or similar through the middle that has to be removed to get at the thing and ice the cake with the need for special tooling to immobilise the cams while changing[1]. With a minimum requirement to replace pulleys, pump, etc in addition to the basics, coupled with the additional dismantling work, that can prove expensive.

[1] Because keyed camshaft pulleys and timing marks are waaay too simple for some.