When to go through Red Traffic Lights? - wazza

From my knowledge on reading posts here and from highway code etc....

We all should know that under no circumstances should we go through a red traffic light. Even if we have the fire brigade or ambulance behind us. They should wait patiently till the lights change and we can move out of the way safely. They should not force us to go through the red lights.

If you do go through a red light and is caught by the red light traffic camera you will be prosecuted. It has happened regardless of the picture showing an emergency vehicle behind you.

However only the police can instruct you to go through red traffic lights. This is allowed according to the highway code.

My question is that for the police to instruct you to go through a red traffic lights can they do it from inside their car or do they have to come to you and instruct you to move? Do you have to take their badge number or car reg number in case you are caught on the camera and have to attend court?

Personally i will move to let them pass when i know if there is no red light camera.

What are your opinions?

When to go through Red Traffic Lights? - WellKnownSid

I have driven through red lights at the request of the boys in blue a few times... It's always been from directions of a traffic officer standing, and in one case they were actually fiddling with the traffic light camera / testing it as everyone including myself was being flashed.

I would never take instructions from anyone inside their car - too much margin for error as they couldn't be seen properly ("sorry, I thought you meant it was OK to move forward into the path of the big lorry").

On the occasions where there has been an ambulance / whatever and I've been at the front of the queue, there is always plenty of room to move the car out of the way long before you hit the sensors on the road. There is a big difference between giving space to the vehicle behind to squeeze through and just driving forward as if the light was green.

When to go through Red Traffic Lights? - injection doc

I agree with you 100% wazza. I was horrified recently to read on another forum a discussion about how many drivers ignore red lights ! the general opinion of a few was that if it was clear or late at night then they would drive through a red light and didnt seem to think anything was wrong ! ( I found this very worrying ) and the opinion of tempory lights at roadworks was that it was fine to drive througjh on red if nothing was at the other end !( again very worrying )

You are correct on the camera situation at lights even for the emergency services as my neighbour found out to her cost ! even with a statement from the fire service ! and another work collegue who moved one wheel into a bus lane to allow an abulance through in London ! he also couldnt get relived of that one. I have to say I am quite startled at how many drivers blatently drive over red lights ! I was undertaken on Saturday approaching red lights and the car just drove round me and through them on red as if they were not there ! it was some beaten up old heap !

Untill there is a system that allows common sense to prevail then stick to the law !

I think you raised a good point about should a police men be inside or outside the car for you to recive clear instructions !

When to go through Red Traffic Lights? - Sofa Spud

If you suspect that a traffic light has failed on red, there's that period of time when you're weighing up whether or not the light has really failed and how long to wait before cautiously edging forward.

As an aside on failed lights, we had some roadworks near us where they installed temporary lights controlling a stretch of road that went round a bend. I drove through and it was apparent that cars coming the other way were ignoring the red light. But after getting home I walked back to the lights and I established that the lights were showing green simultaneously at both ends!