DPF - Does all new vehicles come with it now? - starfield

I am now thinking of my next car. I would like to try a diesel now but they all come with a DPF. I know that DPF tends to be very problematic and the repair costs are high. This might not cover the fuel savings made by driving a diesel vehicle. I do not cover that many miles per annum (7k), my driving is mixed (50/50, urban and motorway).

Will driving a diesel be ok for me?

DPF - Does all new vehicles come with it now? - daveyjp

For 7k a year a diesel has never been a sensible option if you are just looking at mpg. A DPF could become a headache. I do 15,000+ miles a year with lots of urban miles and I'm questioning if my next car will be a diesel.

DPF - Does all new vehicles come with it now? - MikeTorque

Yes, all diesel vehicles now come with a DPF / rDPF.

As long as you do enough trips of at least 10 to 20 miles the DPF will be able to regenerate ok. The newer type of DPF is called a regenerative Diesel Particulate Filter (rDPF), it's designed to last for the life expectancy of the car, say around 150000 miles. The older type of DPF use a fluid and the DPF and fluid are a maintenance items which will need replacing & the fluid refilling at some point.

To help maximise the life expectancy a rDPF requires an engine oil that meets the new specifications, use of oil which only meets earlier LongLife spec. can halve the life expectancy of a rDPF.

Either though you plan to do around 7k miles a diesel powered car is well worth having. It will cost more to buy new but it will retain a significant premium over a petrol car when/if you need to sell it, and your fuel costs will be significantly lower. You will recovery most of your initial cost outlay within just over 1 year, after that you're saving in real terms every mile. In addition the higher the cost of fuel becomes at the pumps the differential favours diesel even more so.

DPF - Does all new vehicles come with it now? - Lygonos

At 7k miles pa you're using around 200 gallons of petrol vs 170 gallons of diesel if you are getting 35mpg vs 42mpg. This is about £180/yr difference.

Most diesels are a group or two higher for insurance than their bhp-similar petrol versions.

Road tax will likely favour the diesel.

You'll probably get a better %age discount off a petrol version due the the current perception of high diesel residuals.

From a cost point of view at this mileage I'd generally say petrol every time.

From a driving perspective there are pros/cons for both type.

My gut suggests an upsurge of small capacity petrol turbos making TDs obsolete for low mileage drivers and I expect the trickle-down of DPF/CR horror stories to the lay public will tarnish the general view of diesel engines "lasting for ever"

What car is it you are looking at, as this is more useful than simply saying 'a diesel' ?