Citroen Dealer - PLS
Does anyone know of a Citroen Dealer in the East Midlands/Yorkshire area that might sell my father a 2003 Berlingo 2.0 HDi as per Honest John's recent article in the 'news' section?

His local dealer (Boston) says the HDi is not available until 2003 and in any case the prices are not yet known. The Citroen web site is totally unhelpful.

He is doesn't want to use an on-line broker.

Many thanks
PLS
Citroen Dealer - Ben79
Try Yellow pages. I guess the HDI model will be in strong demand. I was in David Fox (Harrogate 01423 545454) today, they had a new Berlingo inside, but I didn't look what engine it was. Try ringing Citroen UK, 0870 606 9000 as well.

Best of luck. The HDI is a fantastic beast. Specify ABS, Air Con and Cruise control if you do a lot of motorway miles.

Ben
Citroen Dealer - Martin Wall
If your father doesn't want to use an 'on-line' broker why not telephone them instead - remember that all a broker will do is put you in touch with his dealer for the make/model you want.

Try Carfile, Broker4cars, ukcarbroker, drivethedeal, etc... if you go to their websites you'll find telephone numbers to contact them on!
Citroen Dealer - Martin Wall
....and here are the links:

www.carfile.net

www.broker4cars.co.uk

www.ukcarbroker.co.uk

www.drivethedeal.com

good luck!
Citroen Dealer - Baskerville
I've had exactly the same problem. The only Berlingo I could find to register before the end of December was a 1.9D Forte. In the end I'm going for the Peugeot Partner Combi (the same car, but with a Lion on the front). Peugeot couldn't get me an HDI before January either, but their extras (ABS, a/c) in my case, are cheaper than Citroen's, and they are offering (but not advertising) 0% credit over three years, making the deal more or less the same. Incidentally, although Citroen couldn't get me an HDI before January, they claimed they couldn't get me an HDI with these extras before March.

Good luck.
Citroen Dealer - Mondaywoe
When I bought my C5 back in April it was the usual sort of thing - 'Special Offer - cashback if registered before end of month blah blah!'

I decided I'd like a black one (2.2 HDI Exclusive) The first few dealers I contacted got 'on the computer' and said there wasn't one available 'on the system'. I was a bit dismayed but kept on phoning around. After quite a few phone calls, one dealer says 'Sure I can get you one, no problem.' A few hours later another dealer phoned to say the same.

I bought the car from the first dealer and it was delivered about 10 days later. The dealer kept me up to date on how things were progressing and at one point he said 'It's in Calais at the moment.'

After the car arrived, I joined the C5 forum at yahoogroups and found that every Citroen has an 'Orga' number stamped on the driver's door pillar. This tells you (by ref to a website) exactly when the car was built. It turned out that my car (bought April 2002) was built July 2001.

Now, the question is, did the first few dealers look at the 'same' Citroen computer system as the others and not see (or want to see this car?) Had it been lying in a field in Calais for months? If so, why? Because it was black? They don't seem to be a popular choice (shame, because when clean, it's outstanding and unusual.)

Are these 'special offers' designed to shed stock that's been lying around too long - or just to 'massage' sales figures? Alternatively, are Citroen just being cynical and offering discounts on cars that don't yet exist, hoping customers will be drawn into showrooms and land up buying something else? Curious!

As it happened the car had to have a few mods because it was an early model. It's OK now, but just something to be aware of. Perhaps this is less of a problem with Berlingo (not so new design as C5)

Shop around. Ask the build date of any car you're offered.

Having said all that, I got a cracking deal on my C5 and yes, the HDI is pure magic!

Graeme
Citroen Dealer - Nortones2
Don't know that this applies to Citroen, but a relative used to work for an outfit that stored thousands of new cars (VW, BMW, et al) on an airfield. I suspect this is part of Treasure Island: restrict the flow of cars onto the market to maintain a shortage. The dealers genuinely won't have a car on the system, but the mfr can open the tap when demand is high! Pure speculation, as I don't have inside knowledge, but the cars stay on site for months, I believe.
Citroen Dealer - Ben79
If you want to calculate when your Citroen was made, go to www.citroen.mb.ca/organr.html

The number you need is 5 digits (begins with a zero until 2004) and followed by two letters. The ORGA number is printed on the sticker that has the tyre pressure information inside the drivers door.

Ben
Citroen Dealer - KB.
I 'm not able to respond to the specific question here, but instead, have a question about Citroen and Peugeot in general. I, at present, have a Yaris and because it's a Toyota don't have any great concern re. reliability. I've been looking at the correspondence about the new Berlingo/Peugeot Partner and am well aware of the comments and experiences regarding French versus Japanese. HJ often expresses doubt over French models (including the Scenic, this week in the Telegraph column). Yet he recommends the Berlingo as much as the Yaris. I'm a bit confused as to whether to expect the French to be as reliable as the Japanes given their poor statistcal showing in JD Power and almost everywhere else - and yet there are so many Kangoo's, Scenic's, Picasso's, Berlingo's, surely they wouldn't sell if they were that bad? The Gas Boards/WaterBoards plus a million other firms use them - they surely wouldn't keep buying stuff that was patently duff?

My Yaris is great - provided you don't want to put anything bigger than a shoebox in the boot. The Berlingo HDI is much more useful - the Picasso equally so. Yet they're as cheap as chips (comparatively). I'm concerned that if I sold a Toyota for a Citroen and it all went wrong, everyone would say "What did you expect?

Finally, it is my perception that Peugeot wasn't/isn't known to be as quirky as Citroen, yet the Berlingo and Partner are virtually identical. Are they made side by side - in which case where's the grounding for my argument?

Advice please - particularly from HJ himself in order to square the points about his recommendation of a brand which, elsewhere, he is much less enthusiastic about.

Incidentally, there's a newer version of the Picasso with black rather than beige dashboard - to reduce the glare problem presumably.

I note the deadline regarding the discount on Citroen's, but cannot help but feel that Citroen have 'always' heavily discounted their models and even if the 17.5percent deal does finish soon, then there'll be another just around the corner.

Look forward to replies in order to put my mind at rest.

KB.
I believe some Peugeot and Citroen models are made side by side (or one after the other) at least some of the time. PSA also shares some van models with FIAT, though I don't know if they share manufacturing sites. As for the Citroen discounts, it's true that another discount will be just round the corner. But if you sign up to buy now, and the car you want isn't available inside the discount period, you can't have it discounted in the next offer when that is announced.

Having looked at the Berlingo and the Picasso, I'd say it's really down to what you'll use it most for, since they both have similar internal dimensions. Because of it's square shape the Berlingo is probably more useful for carrying bulky loads, surprise surprise. The Picasso interior is more carlike and "plush," but I found the load space less useable simply because of that. I wouldn't fancy chucking a load of logs, or a handful of bikes (more frequent with me) in the back of a Picasso for fear of breaking or tearing something.
Citroen Dealer - Mondaywoe
Don't know about the Japanese - can only go by reports - but I'm now on my second Citroen. The short answer is that - yes - some are troublesome, especially if the dealer isn't up to scratch (and many Cit dealers aren't) If, however, you get a good one, or even one 'properly sorted' under warranty from a good dealer, then chances are you'll really enjoy the car. Remember, you have a 3 year warranty. Provided the dealer is good and you don't mind the inconvenience of the odd visit to fix what are often silly little niggles, the cars themselves are excellent. What is more, with the discounts Citroen are offering, they also represent unbeatable value for money - PROVIDED you keep them a while. I suspect used prices after a year or so would be devastating! I kept my last one (Xantia) for 9 years, Best, most reliable car I've ever had. Still got £1350 for it too in trade in for C5.

The HDIs are brilliant! Can't think of anything as good at the price.

This is not to deny that the Japanese are probably streets ahead in reliability, but I tend to find them soulless and lacking in practicality. I wanted a big comfy car with a cracking diesel engine, really economical, had to be hatchback too. The C5 was the only sensible answer. The fact that it also came as a good deal and with loads of goodies just clinched it.)

I'm sure someone will now tell you not to touch French with a bargepole and how their Corolla did 500,000 miles without needing the ashtray emptied!

Graeme
Citroen Dealer - J Bonington Jagworth
"..and how their Corolla did 500,000 miles.."

Before the owner died of terminal boredom, presumably. :-)
Thanks for clearing this up HJ. From my experience looking for one of these they are selling very fast in both Cit and Pug form. Underpriced (one way or another) if you ask me.

Chris