average speed - CM
who said that the average speed in London was the same now as it was 100 years ago. I managed to average 6.5mph this morning (and it was outside of the congestion charge area)!
average speed - Baskerville
How were you travelling? On foot, by bicycle, by horse, car, bus, canal boat, or taxi? My guess is you were in a Green Goddess speeding to an emergency.
average speed - CM
no green goddesses do 35mph
average speed - Baskerville
But surely it takes more than seven miles to get to that speed.
average speed - Ian Cook
CM
I managed to average 6.5mph this morning (and it was outside of the congestion charge area)!
>>

I had a car like that, once!
;-)

Ian Cook
average speed - BrianW
So: four replies so far, and not one of them contributing anything sensible!

However, 6.5 mph is probably about all you can expect on a bad day outside the proposed congestion charging zone (and it can be worse than that).

It could be better, but the transport engineers, like the firemen in "1984" whose mission is now to light fires, not put them out, now see their mission as being the impedence of traffic rather than fasciliating its progress.

Sadly, I feel that London is doomed as a leading commercial centre as road, rail and underground systems grind to a halt.
average speed - prokon
Iv'e heard a few mentions of this "congestion charge" how do the powers that be actually collect the cash.
average speed - James_Jameson
We're told that "speed kills", so it must be pretty safe in London.
average speed - SteveH42
I was surprised to find that my average speed on the journey to work is as low as 12mph, sometimes less. And I'm rarely stopped for long either, although there are a lot of sets of traffic lights (8 in 3 miles!). So I can quite believe that if you hit much congestion 6.5mph could be right.
average speed - Dwight Van Driver
.......so why do London cars have four or five gears?
Surely one forward and one back would suffice at these speeds.

DVD