none - owner refuses to send off V5 after swapping bikes - hunty2011

I swapped my running moped for a spares or repair motorcycle
when I swapped we did not fill in the v5's or send them off because he did not have his v5 on him at the time and i forgot to get a reciet :( .
he's now broke my moped by messing with it and putting way too much 2stroke oil in.
And he has found out that I have fixed hes motorcycle.
He now wants to swap back but I dont want to because it cost alot of money to fix the motorcycle
I do not have the v5 because he refuses to send it off and i do not have a reciet all I have are witnesses which are my 2 friends and one of my friends dad who took me in the van to swap they witnessed him look round the moped and say "yes its mint I would like to swap" the day after the swap he even rang me saying " its a really good moped and its running perfect and when can we sort the v5's" however he also asked about the motorcycle and I said "I have had it fixed".

The day after that he rang me saying " the mopeds broke im not swapping unless its fixed " .

I didn't want to leave him without a running bike so I went up with my friend's and had a ago at fixing it. We then found out that it had been messed with and that he had be using too much 2stroke I told him and he denied touching it even though I now myself because how the bike was as I had a mechanic fix it up well I was there and I also now it had a new spark plug.

When I checked the sparkplug it was covered in oil. He had put nearly half a tub of 2stroke init.

I told him I can'nt fix it because you need a new spark plug and said will you do the V5's and he refused and wants his motorcycle back.

Is there anything I can do because the motorcycle is registered to him and I dont want to lose the money I put in it and recieve a broke moped for all my hard work.

Edited by Avant on 30/08/2010 at 17:16

none - owner refuses to send off V5 after swapping bikes - Dwight Van Driver

You both agreed a 'deal' and if you want then so must it stand.

There is an obligation and offence not to do so to notify DVLA on the sale or acquisition of a motor vehicle. This proceedure is completed when you send of V5. In your case things have gone awry so to put matters right then send a letter to DVLA outlining what has occurred. There may be some hassle from DVLA with no reciept or proof of acquisition of the new machine. Did you give him the New Keeper supplement for your moped and send off V5?

DVD

none - owner refuses to send off V5 after swapping bikes - bonzo dog

Alternatively ..... "I took my bike to a guy who said he would fix it & would lend me his moped whilst doing so. Now he won't give me back my bike & says that we agreed to swap bikes! Now I know he has nothing in writing to say we have swaped bikes (because we haven't) but equally I have nothing in writing to say he is only fixing my bike. It's my bike so how do I get it back?"

Please don't think i'm being sarcastic, Hunty, I'm just trying to illustrate the difficulty anyone not being party to the actual agreement will have in ascertaining who is telling the truth.

If I were in your shoes I would write to DVLA explaining that the previous keeper is refusing to release the V5 & ask for a duplicate; others may know better

Good luck

none - owner refuses to send off V5 after swapping bikes - Simon

Ride his motorcycle through four active speed cameras and then swap it back straight away for your scooter. Let him talk his way out of that one...