2004 Peugeot 307sw HDI 110 SOHC - Oil in my intercooler and pipework - scammell

Hi I've just joined this forum and need some help please. I have recently bought the pug, I got it for a good price as it has 130K on the clock, it has an excellent service history etc. Yesterday I took the big intercooler pipe off and noticed oil inside the intercooler and the intercooler pipe. Please help I am worried I have wasted my money. I have no warning lights on dash and the car drives nice, loads of pulling power.

What could be causing this?

Kind regards, David, Washington, Tyne & Wear.

Edited by scammell on 28/05/2010 at 09:40

2004 Peugeot 307sw HDI 110 SOHC - Oil in my intercooler and pipework - Peter D

It is normal to find a little oil in the pipe and intercooler due to slight seepage from the turbo bearings/seals. The turbo has done 130k so not unusual. Clean it out and monitor the oil consumption over the next couple of thousand miles and post back. Check all the breather pipes are clean as a slight pressurised engine can increase this seepage as the turbo oil return pipe works on a scavenge type basis. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 28/05/2010 at 10:34

2004 Peugeot 307sw HDI 110 SOHC - Oil in my intercooler and pipework - Peter.N.

You also get oil mist from the crankcase ventilation system condensing on the inside of the air intake pipes and sometimes leaking out of the joints, as long as its only slight - nothing to worry about.