Leeds bus Lanes - Rob C
I was in Leeds the other day (sophisticated?) and I noticed these strange concrete bus lanes. The buses had little wheels on the side to guide them in the lane...

but why, man, why????
Leeds bus Lanes - Baskerville
It means the bus lane can be narrower, and the corners tighter, because the guides mean that driver spacial awareness errors are all-but eliminated. Have you ever tried to turn a bus, or even a large van, through a tight curve with kerbs, bollards, fencing and so on around? If so, you'll know what I mean. Safer too, because the bus can't mount the kerb unless the driver really makes a very big error. It's common sense that the more predictable traffic is, in terms of where it's coming from, where it will be (e.g. not on the pavement), and the speed it's travelling, the safer it is for pedestrians. And it leaves the bus lane still usable by ordinary buses, and emergency vehicles if necessary. Overhead wires to reduce local pollution from in-town buses is the next logical step.

Chris
Leeds bus Lanes - Floyd
Guided buses are something that the local bus company has been interested in for more than 10 years. Now it they have spread to Bradford - so next time you are living it up in the North try Bradford ;-)

During rush hours the guideways do allow buses to travel faster, so journey times are at least more consistent, if not significantly faster.

I am not convinced that the benefits of guideways are any better than properly controlled bus lanes. It's a fair bet that the guideways cost a lot more than simply putting down a red surface coating and a few extra road markings like most bus lanes.

Isn't that the way these things go - alter road layout then re-do it after a couple of years. Reminder: Must buy shares in road construction companies..... ;-)

Also it was HELL while the guideways were under construction.
Leeds bus Lanes - Floyd
PS. apparently a set of guide wheels costs around £4,000. This must be a concern for some bus operators.
Leeds bus Lanes - Dave_TD
In Bedford there's a bus lane which cuts out 1 1/2 miles of the town centre, it's controlled by rising bollards set into the road. All the Bedford buses are fitted with a transponder to keep the bollards down. Last year due to breakdowns etc they borrowed a couple of double deckers from Northampton, the first one got halfway over the bollards before they ripped a £5000 hole in the floor...
The bollards stay permanently in the ground now. :o)
Leeds bus Lanes - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

Nice one.............