Fading sound on my TV. Static or what? - NowWheels

My CRT television has a strange fading-sound problem, and I hope someone can help.

It's a 32" Sony CRT anolog TV, flatscreen with built-in-woofer. (I bought it cheap on fleabay a few years ago when ppl with too much money were chucking out such things in favour of LCD TVs)

It's connected up to a DVD player, and to Virginmedia cable via a set-top box. No aerial, so I only get TV through the cable's box.

The problem is that when I switch on the TV set, the sound slowly fades so that even on maximum sound it is barely audible. This can be eased by switching it on and off a few times, but it seems to lose sound again before quite quickly; a few weeks ago it faded over hours, but now it fades within minutes.

However, if the sound has faded away to nowt on the TV and I switch over to the DVD player, the sound is absolutely fine. It stays that way for hours until I switch back to the TV, when it rapidly fades again.

My best guess is that some sort of static is building up somewhere, because there is a lot of crackling when I switch off the telly (tho it's only a guess, so that may be nonsense). Any ideas what I can do to cure this?

I would like to be able to ignore the <s>pointless punch-and-judy show</s> election campaign by choice, rather than by being technically excluded from experiencing nauseating parade of duck-billed platitudes.

Edited by NowWheels on 09/04/2010 at 03:12

Fading sound on my TV. Static or what? - rtj70

If this is TV via Virgin Media (who own that box) and is fine on DVD... blame the box and get out Virgin Media.

If this is a TV issue.... have you tried swapping the SCART socket used for DVD/VM? If the sound fades on VM using another SCART socket then it is likely to be the VM box anyway.

Fading sound on my TV. Static or what? - bintang

Air the problem on http://www.avforums.com/ where there are experts.

Fading sound on my TV. Static or what? - NowWheels

Air the problem on http://www.avforums.com/ where there are experts.

Thanks, was on my way there when I thought to might be less hassle to call VirginMedia. So I did, and they suggested the blindingly obvious check-that-the-cables-are-plugged-in-properly ... which I had soopidly failed to check myself. One of the cables was indeed loose, and after inserting it securely, all seems fine.

Check-the-cables would of course be the first thing I'd suggest to someone else, so I dunno why I didn't think to do it myself. Duhhhhhhhh....

Fading sound on my TV. Static or what? - WellKnownSid

Probably a dried out cap in the power supply causing one of the rails to drift out of tolerance. Bring back valves - that would have been an easy fix!