I have an idea - guygamps
Should I patent it?

I have had two laptops in my house that have fingerprint readers as a security measure to prevent unauthorised log in. The technology is not expensive, neither laptop was any more expensive than similar models from competitors.

Why not put it on a car...

Better than that, why not combine with electronic throttle mapping so i can have a nice fast sports car, with say 300+ BHP, but when may daughter gets in, touches the keypad, BHP is limited to 90 or so, and the throttle response matched to a Nissan Micra.

What a cool idea?

So much can be done with ECUs, "sports" mode can liven up throttle response, can tighten up springs/dampers, can alter gear change profile on auto boxes, so why not "17 year old daughter mode".

When buying cars last year, I wanted to find something I could have real real fun in and something else my daughter could learn safely in. Ended up buying 2 cars. (a Polo and a Jag XJS)

Can't help but think it would a great idea for dads looking to buy a GTI type of thing with teenagers to teach in the family too!

Guy
I have an idea - gordonbennet
Why not put it on a car...

Brilliant idea GG, the only thing that worries me is should burgaleers break in during the wee smalls to steal your keys they might need a couple of accessories to go with them.
I have an idea - bell boy
give me a day and a google and i bet i could circumnavigate your technology trying to stop me doing donuts, (ps is there room in the trunk for it anyway?)
should have added the cavada if google failed me :-(

Edited by bell boy on 11/01/2010 at 22:43

I have an idea - Rattle
I've often thought of this too, my conclusions were it would be too hard to make work. What happens when you sell teh car? What if the car has 100 different drivers?

That said I think this will be in cars soon.
I have an idea - Stuartli
Very old hat, both for cars and motor bikes:

www.suzukicycles.org/Concept-Suzuki/B-KING.shtml

www.justbiometrics.com/sid-vehicles.html
I have an idea - CraigP
Biometrics are a bit risky.

1) They don't actually work, it's a popular myth (funded by people who sell such devices) that fingerprint scanners work like in the films (accurately) but they can be fooled pretty easily. From the eye scanner that can be fooled with a photo of an eye to the voiceprint scanner that accepted a recording, to the laptop fingerprint scanners that cant tell a haribo gummy bear sweetie from a digit.

www.pcworld.com/article/103535/biometric_security_...l
www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/issues/abuseofpower/...l
www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1158001,00.asp
www.out-law.com/page-2624

2) You can't change your "password", ever. Once someone has you're duplicated finger or photographed your eye or whatever, the conversation will go like: "yes i know Mr Bank Manager that is my fingerprint but it wasnt me who took out this loan!"

3) Making it harder to claim authorisation to use something, doesn't defeat the want / need of the criminal. When all they needed was an electrical pulse along an ignition wire, they hotwired your car in the driveway while you slept. When they needed the keys because no other way in security got too good, they started coming in houses and frequently people are assaulted for their keys. I dont want my finger cut off because someone really wants my car.

Secure authentication, today, is usual 3 factors: something you know (password), something you are (biometric) & something you have (physical key). The 3 must be used together, or you're not authenticated.
I have an idea - Devolution
The initial premise sounds good, but the vast majority of teenagers who have accidents, can (and do) in lower powered cars, and are not necessarily to do with straight line speed, but more inexperience and handling ie. rear end shunts, misjudging bends. 80BHP Micra mode would still be enough to cause problems, so far from inventing milk float mode, it may not be the ultimate solution!

Also factor in that while teenagers would love to climb into Dad's sporty car, if the inevitable happens, it's twice the price to repair the top tech motor, and excruciatingly more of a kick in the teeth for the insurance.

So save the £1000 optional extras and buy the little darlings a Micra! ;-)
I have an idea - Andrew-T
Clever idea, just as long as it works. Just imagine the possibilities when it doesn't, or malfunctions in some way. And hardly anyone would be able to fix it ...
I have an idea - audiA6tdi
already available on the Audi A8 from about 2003 onwards. Not sure if they still use it. Used to be only on the 4.2TDI and 6.0Petrol. I dare say they dropped it as I havnt seen many used examples of late with it on.

Many laptops have dropped it as well now. Used to be popular on HP models but maybe with cost cutting they got rid of it.
I have an idea - Zippy123
I recall a guy in the far east had a finger print reader attached to the door of his Merc because they were really expensive - due to high import taxes.

He was robbed of his hand (by machette I understand) so the thieves could steal the motor.

Now considering the number of scrotes in this country, I would rather they stole my motor by fishing for the keys through the letter box!!
I have an idea - Kevin
>Should I patent it?

Sorry, but you wouldn't get the patent because of "Prior Art".

Some vehicles already have a similar function, sometimes called "Valet Mode". My Jag disables things like boot, glovebox and passenger door release etc. when in valet mode. It has a separate "Green" key that will only open the drivers door and start the engine.

The Corvette C4 ZR1 (1990-) had a valet mode that also restricted power output.

Qinetiq are working on a more sophisticated system for the UK Govt. that solves the problem of amputated fingers being used.

Every vehicle sold in the UK from 2015 will be equipped with a drivers seat fitted with an anal probe that constantly checks the driver's temperature and DNA against the National ID database, NHS database, MOT database, Insurance database and DVLA database :-O

Kevin...

Edited by Kevin on 11/01/2010 at 23:28

I have an idea - Altea Ego
> drivers seat fitted with an anal probe

Very popular with the blue light brigade truck drivers I understand.
I have an idea - J Bonington Jagworth
"Every vehicle sold in the UK from 2015 will be equipped.."

Don't joke about it! At the present rate, the future will not only be worse than we imagine, but worse than we can imagine.
I have an idea - L'escargot
Should I patent it?

It's not as simple as that. Firstly, to do it properly you'd have to employ a patent agent which would cost you money you might never recoup, and secondly you may find that your idea doesn't come into the category of being patentable.
I have an idea - grumpyscot
I recall a demo by Volvo trucks 10 years ago touting similar ideas - all linked to driver recognition (did awaywith tachos), and loading, where the cost of goods delivered would be electronically deducted from the buying company as soon as delivery was logged on the trucks computer - and the costs were dynamic - changing constantly according to market demand etc. The system would also record fuel usage, routes, and would set up the tractor unit for the individual driver's preferences (within company specified parameters). Any work done on the tractor unit would be logged (as with aircraft), plus it had a "flight recorder" and emergency "phone home" facility.

As far as I know, the only limiting factor at the time was the cost of computing, and the size - reckon today it would fit into the size of an Ipod and cost under £1k
Fingerprint car security - I have an idea - jbif
Should I patent it? >>

Too late. Use a search engine: "fingerprint car security"

p.s. re the thieves in Malaysia, see:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4396831.stm
"Police in Malaysia are hunting for members of a violent gang who chopped off a car owner's finger to get round the vehicle's hi-tech security system.
The car, a Mercedes S-class, was protected by a fingerprint recognition system.
..... ...."

Fingerprint car security - I have an idea - ForumNeedsModerating
Wouldn't a PIN protected 'sport' on/off button be more practicable? Any time you anticipate
another (restricted driver) will be driving it, just reset the default 'sport' mode to 'daughter mode'.

Fingerprint car security - I have an idea - ijws15
For the same reason those people who carry briefcases chained to their wrists also carry the key.

It stops the quick grap but if someone with a machete grabs you you can let them have the bag and keep your hand attached.

Fingerprint car security - I have an idea - Jcoventry
There's also this idea, at 0:25:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00UaY8g_Mc