99 1.8 Diesel really sluggish - sam3317
My car has become really sluggish. I was wondering whether this could be the glowplugs? They haven't been replaced as long as I have had it(1yr).
99 1.8 Diesel really sluggish - WorkshopTech
Glowplugs are only there to assist starting and running a cold engine, they don't have any affect on performace once the engine is running normally.
I thought so. I don't suppose you have any idea as what could be causing the sluggishness?
99 1.8 Diesel really sluggish - cheddar
Is it turbo or non-turbo?
Non turbo
99 1.8 Diesel really sluggish - piston power
Has it had a service like all new filters? a blocked air filter will have poor performance.

Have you checked the brakes? lots of cars suffer in this extreme cold weather with a draging brake.
99 1.8 Diesel really sluggish - Peter.N.
I think the fuel filter would be the first thing to check/change.
I've checked the air filter and that seems fine but I'm going too replace it anyway. I had a feeling it might be the fuel filter, I'll check that next.
Right I've replaced the air filter, checked the fuel filter(it's fine) and the sluggishness is still there. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
How did you check the fuel filter? Check that the throttle cable is fully opening the pump.

Edited by Peter.N. on 09/01/2010 at 18:32

I just blew air through it.
Oh right. Check your throttle cable, I usually forget to mention that but its a distinct possibility.