Driving in snow - advice? - Rattle
I had to my first snow driving tonight, my road had about 1 inch snow on it. As I left my road I felt my back wheels slipping (the rear tyres have about 5mm tread on them) and I managed to get down the road at about 10mph then slowly braked but then it felt like I lost all grip and the car skidded slightly.

After that I didn't get out of 2nd gear and didn't drive any more than 15mph until I got onto a busier and thus no snow road.

When I drove back the car was fine, so what did I do wrong? On the way I back I think I was a lot more slow in realising the clutch so did I just attempt to acelerate too quickly?

Driving in snow - advice? - Lud
For the first time coming back across town this evening I turned on the car's traction control. I couldn't notice any effect until the wet snow covered cobbles in the dogleg behind Harrow Road police station. Booted in second, it didn't spin a front wheel but accelerated smoothly and quite well, obviously kept just the right side of wheelspin and no further. I was just able momentarily to trip the ABS round there as well, deliberately of course and very slightly.

The thing works well and is safe. I am pleased with it.
I see that my pleasure in a toy that actually seems to work, hallelujah!, anyway at cautious speeds, has made me diverge a bit Rattle.

One thing you should bear in mind is that slippery conditions will enable you to explore your car's essential handling characteristics at very safe slow speeds. Of course you shouldn't skate sideways into tall kerbs at 20 mph. But if you can't feel those slip angles more sharply than usual you may be erring on the side of caution. The delicacy you need to make any progress when it's slippery will be good for your driving at all speeds.

Of course cars with sudden power curves and numb steering must be driven cautiously. Don't stuff it Rattolo! If there's black ice around discretion may be the better part of valour.
Driving in snow - advice? - sajid
Rattle, drive slow in snow, drive gently, if you slide drive in to the slide and you can get control, your car a corsa a FWD car so its a lot easier to drive in the snow compared to other cars that are RWD like BMW cars, you could deflate your tyre that might help also get rid of any clutter.

By the way Rattle are you spending money on it, last time i heard its £826, you could always get some winter tyres if you need to be more secure in driving,

Ps. Rattle have you bought anything from the sales, or are you gonna think of buying, after xmas? I just bought a lcd philips 40 inch 9704 very cheap!!!

Next item is a laptop ....

Not actually spent anything on it was trying to go for three-four months without going to a garage! However a month back I had an accident with the kerb and damaged my tracking so that does need sorting :( However I think the car is pretty much caught up now, its on 83k (was on 80k when I bought it 9 months ago) so if I can take it up to 90k I would have had my moneys worth (I don't do much mileage, but I use it a lot, I start it about 8-12 times a day!). I do want something with a better chassis for my next car though.

My Corsa has all the modern electrics like windows, mirrors, central locking etc but it does like ABS and the tyres standard (70, 165s) are quite skinny but they are dirt cheap even for proper branded ones. That said I don't think ABS is much use in the snow? And for the first time in my life I had to a proper emergency stop last week (sadly partly my fault) but stopped perfectly without skidding :).

The big change in my driving lately is I want more experiences, this time last year if it was snowing I would just not drive, now I see the snow as a challenge, at the same time I don't want to crash duet to inexperience. I am tempted to book a skid pan some time, it has been suggested on here before.

Last toy I bought was a LG 22" 1080p TV/monitor and a PVR. I have bought enough toys now though and lately have been buying a lot of books for my return to education next year.

It not snowed for a while now but the grounds still white, however early next week seems to be first of the proper snow here.

Edited by Rattle on 18/12/2009 at 01:11

Driving in snow - advice? - pda
Use the highest hear you can to maintain progress, without incurring unnecessary gear changes, and use your 'fairy feet' Rattle.
Treat the pedals as gently as you can and you will be rewarded with traction!
When you get into a car park or somewhere with plenty of space, try braking/accelerating a little harder and discover when it starts to slip.

A lorry drivers tip for you.......

When you're driving on packed snow and the surface feels rough because it's rippled, you are actually driving on ice. Many drivers ( car and lorry) see packed snow and think it's just snow and traction is good.
Watch the puddles, are the frozen over?
Black Ice.......Does the road 'twinkle' back up to you in the lights? If it does it's not wet, it's black ice.
Braking distance........duble it and then double it again!

Hope this helps, it's basic but it's what most old lorry drivers use!

Pat
Driving in snow - advice? - Old Navy
Good advice above which does not need repeating, a different angle is "Is the journey worth the risk". You could slide into something, or an idiot ignoring the road conditions could slide into you, is it worth the potential grief, simple risk assessment.

Edited by Old Navy on 18/12/2009 at 08:45

Driving in snow - advice? - bintang
A day of skin-pan training is an excellent investment and will help in snow and ice.
Driving in snow - advice? - perro
>>> Hope this helps, it's basic but it's what most old lorry drivers use!

Really excellent advice Pat, what I also used to do (even now) is to hit my brakes (where safe!) to see just how much grip I actually had (don't try it on ice though)
The other thing I would add (from experience!) is - if you have to decend a hill with compacted snow = DON'T ... find another way around!
Everytime Perro.
My memories of heading down the Heads of the Valleys road towards Abergavenny, fully laden with steel from Ebbw Vale and dodgy old drum brakes.
I think it's downhill whichever way you go from Ebbw Vale though!

Pat
Driving in snow - advice? - lotusexige
As Lud says you can explore the limist of a car at low speed. The problem these days would be to find somewhre that there is room for the said exploration.
But really, you need to anticipate, read the road and be smooth. Just like normal driveing except much more so.
>>> heading down the Heads of the Valleys road towards Abergavenny, fully laden with steel from Ebbw Vale and dodgy old drum brakes. <<<

Blimey !!! That gives me 'the twitch' just reading about it Pat The brave, my humble experience of driving a TK fully laden with reams of paper was delivering to a printers in Hemel Hempstead, the road was steep & frozen, the lorry just slid down and I had absolutely no control at all, it eventually came to a stop by slamming into the kerb.
The only way I would consider driving down a steep iced up road today, would be if I could be sure no one would cause me to apply the anchors (praps I'm going soft!)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2009 at 01:24

Driving in snow - advice? - L'escargot
The long-term forecast is for a mild winter. If it does happen to snow then just stop at home.
Driving in snow - advice? - Alby Back
The wine glass theory.

A tip given to me many years ago which I find useful for slippery / snowy conditions.

Picture in your mind's eye a glass of wine balanced on your bonnet. You must not under any circumstances spill it. Now drive.

Surprising how quickly you can go once you get the hang.
Driving in snow - advice? - movilogo
Also have a look in this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71774
Driving in snow - advice? - Cliff Pope
1) Don't
2) HB's wine glass advice is excellent. It says it all really, and covers all sudden actions - brakes, accelerator, clutch, steering.
Driving in snow - advice? - Chris M
"The long-term forecast is for a mild winter" - That'll be a BBQ winter then?

We shall see!

Edited by Chris M on 18/12/2009 at 12:52

Driving in snow - advice? - FotheringtonThomas
Draw the curtains and go back to bed.
Driving in snow - advice? - barney100
Front wheel drive is much better than rear wheel as the engine is over the driving wheels so you get better traction. Keep a really good f gap from other vehicles and allow a great distance to stop. I once slid into the back of someone in treacherous conditions from way behind them at really low speed. it was like one of those curling stones on ice, whatever I did had no effect, brakes and steering plain just didn't work.
Driving in snow - advice? - madf
I had a similar experience to Barney but two wheels in the gulley at side of the road and stopped - just.

Verges are usually full of untamped down snow so better grip
Driving in snow - advice? - movilogo
If you really need to drive, avoid driving a RWD (unless winter tyres). Please see the other thread on this topic.
Just done one job I had to drive to but the second one I have posponed till tomorrow for two reasons

1) It is in the evening, it will be colder and more icy and dark so more dangerious
2) I am feeling tired.

When I went out today the small roads felt a little slippy but it felt a lot safer than walking!
If you really need to drive avoid driving a RWD .............

............. or drive it in reverse, because you've then got FWD!
;-)

Edited by L'escargot on 18/12/2009 at 13:53

Just found out there was an accident on my road last night, a car lost control and mounted the kerb caused quite a bit of damage.

Even more reason to stay in and learn some Polish so I can fix this laptop of a customers.
Driving in snow - advice? - Old Navy
Just found out there was an accident on my road last night a car lost
control and mounted the kerb caused quite a bit of damage.

Cars don't loose control, drivers loose control of their cars.

We all know which is the most important nut in a car. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 18/12/2009 at 16:36

Driving in snow - advice? - BobbyG
Don't bother with skid pan training.

When there is snow, go find yourself a big deserted car park, for me it was my local Lidl.
Practice till your heart's content, see what speed you can do before losing grip, try steering into skids etc. maybe invoke a tail out by pulling on the handbrake and see how to counter act it.

Obviously make sure there are no barriers, kerbs etc before doing so but a great hour or so's entertainment and, more importantly, driver training!
Driving in snow - advice? - moonshine

Rattle, I dont think you did anything wrong. A little bit of slow speed skidding in snow means that you know where the limits are.

Car parks can be great fun in the snow - just watch out for kerbs and other immoveable objects hidden under the snow.

Even very low speed skids into a kerb can easily knock out your tracking, or worse dent an alloy or bend suspension arms.
I agree with those who advise practising on an empty car park, and join them in urging you to look out for hidden kerbs and so on.

But ordinary roads with snow or ice on them are what you will really have to cope with, and they are not to be scorned. You do have to crank your intellect up a few notches to minimise the chance of damage, embarrassment or worse.

Caution is essential. But there's no need to exaggerate and annoy people.
Driving in snow - advice? - Altea Ego
No one can offer you advice or guidance. Driving in snow is nothing more than experience and feel. You wont get any unless, as Bobby says, when the snow arrives you rush out there and throw the car around in a deserted car park.

Get out there,m get the car out there, and enjoy it

Driving in snow - advice? - the swiss tony
No one can offer you advice or guidance.

Driving in snow is nothing more than experience and feel.

1st part I slightly disagee with.... do everything gently (steer/accelerate/brake)... feel/listen to what the car is telling you... and dont panic! (thats my advice)
2nd part, I fully agree with! empty carparks are the ideal place to learn, although I get the feeling come members of the Police force may disagree, if they come across you 'playing' - sorry 'learning!'

Edited by the swiss tony on 18/12/2009 at 15:32

Driving in snow - advice? - BobbyG
Swiss, last time was out playing in the snow in Lidl, a police X5 drove past, slowed down as I did a perfect handbrake turn, and then carried on.

I don't know if they weren't interested as I was in a diesel Altea XL, with wife and kids. Not exactly boyracer stuff!!
Driving in snow - advice? - the swiss tony
BobbyG, in my book they are the type of Coppers we need, seems to me there are too many 'rule book' Police nowdays...
Swiss last time was out playing in the snow in Lidl a police X5 drove
past slowed down as I did a perfect handbrake turn and then carried on.

Ditto in 1999, Scenic Mk1 full of wife and child, Bracknell Liesure Centre, poilce briefly watched in amusement..
Driving in snow - advice? - andyp
The roads in the area of North Kent where i live are still covered in deep snow which has now frozen, so driving conditions are interesting to say the least. However when i ventured out this morning i found myself following an immaculate H reg MK1 Capri 3.0ltr, these were a handful in the wet, so goodness knows how hard it must have been to keep it under control today !

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/12/2009 at 02:56

Driving in snow - advice? - 1400ted
Black ice is always fun....just sit back, fold your arms, brace yourself and the car will do what it has to do. Done the ' icedance pirouette ' a couple of times.
Hit some on the Velocette a few years back.....only going slow 'cos of cold, about 10mph.
I was on the floor with the bike facing the other way before I'd a chance to even think what was happening..............no major damage to bike or me...tear in trousers and a bruised ego, but it was at night so not too big an audience !

Ted
Driving in snow - advice? - Pugugly
Came out of a garage on a very powerful bike, opened it out to get in front of some mimsers and the back wheel did one of those dances - forgot the wheel was wet ...... very loosening
There is or there was anyway, a Honda bike dealership in Edinburgh just at the bottom end of the "old town" Many of the roads in that neck of the woods had setts. Back in the days of August registrations they would release the new bikes at a few minutes past midnight on the first day of the new letter. Rather infamously a chap taking delivery of his flashy new steed opened it up coming off the dealers forecourt onto the wet cobbles and the result was...well....expensive and I imagine more than a touch embarrassing.....
Driving in snow - advice? - gordonbennet
Ah black ice, probably the worst conditions always painfull on a bike.

Some 25/28 years ago i was heading out about 2am along the then A45 from St Neots towards Cambridge in an artic truck doing my usual 60 cruise.
The road was wet having stopped raining only minutes before...but the sky cleared and almost immediately the road iced over and became a sheet of wet glass.
I only realised that as everything had gone uncannily light in what seemed like a moment, you know that horrible feeling that means nothing good.

In the distance i could see hazards flashing at the Caxton Gibbet...took me about a mile to knock the speed off, when i eventually got safely to the crossing there were vehicles strewn all over the shop including trucks in the ditch...damned lucky escape for me.
Got out to see what the score was and you could barely stand up.

That was the worst winter for donkey's years, the offal carrier i drove at that time would have a thousand+ gallon block of solid ice in the rear compartment by the time i got back at 10am, didn't get above freezing for about a month.
Going to Huddersfield for the early shift, I climbed the road from Greenfield up to Wessenden Head, where the kids were buried, passing an HGV carefully in the snow.
I saw red lights ahead, it was a Jag in the peat. The driver was slumped over the wheel.
I thought I'd found a fatal !
He was alive !....' I was just leaning over with my hands in the footwell to get the benefit of the heater ' he said. He'd phoned for help so I left.......found another one a mile further on !
That was on a dead straight road !
Came back a different way in the evening and passed a car with major rear end damage..I think a snow plough had found it ! The drifts were well above 8ft high.

Ted

Edited by 1400ted on 19/12/2009 at 23:52

30 odd years ago I wa stuck in a jam on the road out of Hersham to Esher - Cars couldnt get up the hill.

Anyway in front a parked artic started to slide ever so slowly sideways, due to ice forming under its wheels and the very slight camber of the road. It was heading to the car on its right (he couldnt go forward or back due to the jam) so we all leapt out and helped the trucker rope it to the lamp post

we were there all day.
Black ice !!! I Was driving a Bedford TK fully laden with reams of paper early one morning on the Thames Embakment and a goon pulled out on me, I braked and it was just like being on an ice rink - no brakes, no steering ... I've always been of the opinion that I had help 'from above' on that morn as the lorry righted itself - with no help from me!
Driving in snow - advice? - Happy Blue!
Heavy snow in Manchester now. Airport closed.

Advice to those about driving today - don't!

Although SWMBO has gone out in the car, I walked with eldest child to Sunday School. Got a lift back and frankly wished I had walked despite the weather. Driver was too close to the car in front, drove too quickly and braked to late.

Hope I don't hear tinkling glass near our drive :-(
Driving in snow - advice? - craig-pd130

Just been driving in the vicinity of Manc Airport, the issue is ice under the fresh snow, even innocuous looking roundabouts are like skating rinks.

Was a fun test of driving skills, anyway :)
Driving in snow - advice? - Mr.Tee43
What is the collective opinion on letting a few psi out of the tyres when driving slowly on snow ?
Driving in snow - advice? - DP
Had a pant filling moment in the Volvo yesterday. Descending a gentle hill approaching a T-junction. Travelling at about 10 mph. Maybe 100yds from the junction, I brushed the brake pedal, and the ABS pulsed away, with the car carrying on at the same speed. Underneath the snow/slush was sheet ice.
Had time, luckily to consider my options, and decided to aim for the kerb. As I did this, I felt the car slow slightly having found some grip from somewhere. With furious cadence braking (I know, old habits die hard), I managed to bring the car to a halt 3-4 metres from the give way line.

Driving on snow is fun. Driving on ice isn't. The trick with the latter is, I believe to give yourself enough time/space/distance to choose what you hit carefully. Assuming the steering still works of course (I suspect mine wouldn't have).

As I went to pull away, a young kid crossed the road behind me, did a weird kind of breakdance and fell flat on his backside. That made me feel a bit better.
Driving in snow - advice? - Mr.Tee43
Just wondering, how do cars with DSG get on in these condtions.
Driving in snow - advice? - Rob81
Didn't Top Gear/5th Gear do a feature with a Jag X Type on a frozen lake, one with stability control and one without? I seem to remember the one with faired much better in an emergency avoidance manouvere.

I've just driven my bx's back to back in very snowy/icy conditions. One is a TD with abs and 185 tyres and the other is a 1.9 n/a diesel without abs and 165 tyres. The one without abs stops much better and the 165 tyres feel much more secure on steep cambers/pulling away etc. Both sets of tyres have 6 mm of tread. I guess my ancient abs system is pretty rubbish in snow!
Driving in snow - advice? - daveyjp
Re DSG box:

With a diesel engine very well, it will creep in first and you can then change to 2nd once it start moving and use it like a manual. I had no problems in the two A3s I've had.

The X type is the same - slush box auto with tiptronic. Simply move to manual, select 2nd and it goes on tickover.

On both the A3 and X type the tyres and underlying layer of ice are more of a problem than the gearbox.

Edited by daveyjp on 21/12/2009 at 09:42

>>> That made me feel a bit better <<<

Schadenfreude me ole son :)
Driving in snow - advice? - Hugh Watt
>>With furious cadence braking (I know, old habits die hard), I managed to bring the car to a halt 3-4 metres from the give way line

Exactly my situation on Thursday night DP - steering towards kerb and mercifully stopping in time. Got me reflecting that this new-fangled ABS may present a problem in these low-speed braking situations in refusing to lock up the wheels. And having always in normal driving cultivated a light touch on the brakes, and especially so when it gets slippy, I find it counter-intuitive to exert continuous pressure on the brakes to make use of the electronic cadence effect... It seemed so much simpler in the old Morris Minors and Triumph Heralds!
Driving in snow - advice? - Mapmaker
What is the collective opinion on letting a few psi out of the tyres when
driving slowly on snow ?

Complete misunderstanding. If you are stuck in a snowdrift and unable to move, THEN you should let a lot of air out and you should be able to move forward a few yards onto solid ground AT WHICH POINT you reinflate your tyres.
Driving in snow - advice? - oilrag
I would just park it up out of harms way Rattle. If we were in years gone by I would suggest practice on a deserted space - but It`s the risk from others that would worry me.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles under my belt - decades, some with severe snow and ice. All of that is negated though by numpties pressing on regardless. The `I have a right to make progress` brigade - who will just go straight up kerbs and bash into others in the continuing me me me of their limited psychs of passage.

Edited by oilrag on 20/12/2009 at 14:06

Tried to get the Suzi out earlier, she was down the drive forwards..no chance, wheels just turning on the snow. 4wd sorted her out, first time I've needd it. I had reversed the Note in so it should pull itself out when needed. We have a slight downhill from the gate.
Kept it in 4WD while I did some calls...numpties driving at about 4 mph all over the place.
Got tired of being behind a Lexus at that speed and overtook on the snowy bit..quite stable.
Went for a cuppa at friends..they'd dropped mum off at airport for 9.30 flight.
Airport closed so presumably still sat on plane waiting.

Ted
Driving in snow - advice? - Happy Blue!
Just had to go out to rescue a friend in a FWD Previa stuck on slight hill three miles away. Took 45 minutes to reach her and about ten minutes with a shovel and some pieces of carpet to get her out.

I really did not want to out today in the car and the way out of my drive proved why. I almost had a repeat of last year's accident when I slid down my drive onto the main road on snow covering sheet ice. This year I kept the car in neutral, cadanced braked and also dropped the car into reverse occasionally. Managed to get to the bottom without injury but certainly a few nervous moments.

Mind you once on the road, there is nothing better than 4WD for getting away from the numpties spinning wheels and cars all over the show.
Driving in snow - advice? - rtj70
Today's conditions are not so much driving in snow but driving on ice. A lot of car parks are sheet ice under the snow. Also went for a walk along the River Mersey earlier today and nearly slipped a few times for similar reasons.

Later I had to (sort of) go to the storage unit where we have our possessions and went on main roads. All was fine until:

1. Coming out of the storage facility I had to go left temporarily and turn around. Doing a three point turn nearly had be stranded on a slight upward include. Oops. No big issue and got going.

2. On a main road near the M60 downhill the Golf R32 in front (so AWD?) started sliding into the cars coming up the hill. Rear end kicked out towards the centre line. So I gently broke and started to slide. Steered towards kerb and applied brakes and stopped. For a moment thought I'd not stop!

Not going out again today now!
Driving in snow - advice? - Clanger
Great advice on snow driving all through this thread. I'll add that once the grit has gone down, you need some brave souls out there driving to turn it into slush. So the "stay at home" brigade aren't helping.

I got stuck on my way to do some shopping on quite a modest slope yesterday. It was facing a single-track "bailey" bridge near Ellerton Lake and I stupidly stopped on the rise up to the bridge to let someone already on the bridge come past. He thought I was reversing out of the way, but I was all 4 wheels locked and skating backwards. Had to clip it into reverse smartish and go with the flow so I had a bit of steerage or I'd have been stuck on the verge for sure. I don't know what the other guy thought as I pursued him in reverse; I prayed he wouldn't try and stop. Once rolling the C8 managed the slope OK with the traction light flashing.

Going back 40 years I've got some slides of kids in Leeds hanging onto car bumpers (when they used to be separate from the rest of the car, remember?) and being given a ride by helpless motorists gingerly wiggling along the frozen streets of Harehills.

Last night my 20-year-old was on his way to a party in his Fiesta and became so spooked by the white-out we had for 20 mins, he parked up and asked me to come and collect him. That was a BIG ask for him. Bless. By the time I arrived one could see OK so he went to the party anyway.

I endorse others' view that there's nothing like practice for honing one's skills. Get out there, stir up the salt and enjoy!

Had the Qashqai out today. The roads around here were frozen with a light dusting of snow. No problem to drive on with care but as they were empty early on.....

The model I have is a slushbox auto with the trick 4wd which shoves some power to the rear if the front struggles for grip.

Hangs the back out so controllably....I think I'm going to like this car....

"Oh what fun it is to drift in a 1(50) horse closed in sleigh !"

Heh heh....
Driving in snow - advice? - DP
Humph, that reminds me of my yoof when a mate had a Sierra XR4x4. We used to love getting that out in the snow and playing on roundabouts. Fixed, but rear biased 4wd system meant you could get it to some crazy angles at little more than 15-20 mph with the rear bias ensuring the tail was well and truly mobile, but just enough up front to help pull the car straight again. And a lovely V6 burble too.

First car I ever experienced those Mitsubishi EVO style slide angles in, but all at such speeds where the only thing that got hurt if you lost it was your pride.

Fab car that. He bought several cars since and couldn't bring himself to part with it, keeping it as a second car right up until 2005, when something expensive broke in the 4wd system and rendered it scrap.

18 mpg wasn't much fun either.

Edited by DP on 20/12/2009 at 17:55

Sounds fun DP. Back along I had a Granada 4x4 2.9V6. Not as nimble as the Sierra of course but still a hoot in the right conditions.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 20/12/2009 at 18:25

Driving in snow - advice? - Rob81
I have just move my car to my street having left it on another road. My road is a narrow terraced street and in normal conditions, 20 mph feels like a safe speed to drive (parked cars, kids playing and lots of junctions). Today, it is covered in about 4 inches of compacted snow and is incredibly slippery. I have just witnessed the most unbelievably stupid driving ever; a middle aged women in a mk4 golf was driving so fast that when she (inevitably) crashed, she managed to do so with such force the rear wheel of her car came off! I can't believe someone could gather enough speed in such conditions to cause this sort of damage! I'm speechless....
Driving in snow - advice? - Pugugly
Respect.
Driving in snow - advice? - Lygonos
Word.
Driving in snow - advice? - teabelly
a middle aged women in a mk4
golf was driving so fast that when she (inevitably) crashed she managed to do so
with such force the rear wheel of her car came off! I can't believe someone
could gather enough speed in such conditions to cause this sort of damage! I'm speechless....

I would have gone outside to roar with laughter and point! Same here for some idiots in golfs. Ungritted road, sparkling with ice and the cretins are going along at their normal speed! Icy back at home too as road not gritted all the way along. No abs and could feel there wasn't much in the way of braking. Stuck in 1st gear and pootled along. Heard some strange noise when I hit the brake pedal firmly to see what there was grip wise. Not sure what it was.
Driving in snow - advice? - henry k
>>Heard some strange noise when I hit the brake pedal firmly to see what there was grip wise. Not sure what it was.
>>
ABS trying to tell you something you already knew?
Driving in snow - advice? - teabelly
No abs. That's why I risked going out in it :-) Could have been the front diff locking I suppose. Never found out what happens when braking hard on a differentially slippery surface in that car.
she managed to do so with such force ....

To be fair you have get quite a wriggle on even in snow if you're going to attempt a proper Scandinavian Flick....

;-)
Driving in snow - advice? - nb857
I've not read the whole thread. But My car has neither ABS or traction control thankfully. I've been out in the snow, just take your time and drive like you have no brakes. Lots of forward planning, keep the revs low and gears high and no sudden inputs of gas, steering or brakes.

I went to work on Satdee on my C90 in the snow, no problems at all. More grip than I expected to be honest
Driving in snow - advice? - David Horn
Wide-ish and very quiet road near me frozen over this evening, went out to have a play in the Passat to see whether the ESP actually works. :-) Lots of fun, though had to turn the traction control back on to get home up a steep hill.
Driving in snow - advice? - Car
I think traction contol can be a blessing and sometimes a hinderance, don't know what other people think?

Also in a fwd car is it best to reverse off a drive which is on an incline or drive forwards, and is a diesel car better in the snow to a petrol car?
Driving in snow - advice? - Number_Cruncher
With a front wheel drive car, there is a small traction advantage in reversing up a hill - as the centre of gravity of the car is above ground level, there is some weight transfer towards the lower axle.

Driving in snow - advice? - Car
Also do the gear ratios have something to do with it?
Driving in snow - advice? - dieseldogg
Bah, humbug, all is needed is to be born a farmers son.
Ps
I was pondering yesterday
is a FWD with knarly/winter tyres better than an X5 on slicks
Or does the driver make the difference

Edited by dieseldogg on 21/12/2009 at 09:35

Driving in snow - advice? - daveyjp
I've just been out in the Aygo and that's the car for snow! Low weight, low power, no traction control to worry about and skinny tyres.

I had the foresight to do a front to back tyre swap a few weeks ago to even out wear. The fronts now have about 6mm on them and what a difference.

There's a stretch of road I use which never gets gritted, in the X type and it's wide tyres with about 3mm on the fronts I would have avoided it. The Aygo took it in 2nd, just at the brow of the hill it started losing grip, changed to third and it just carried on.

A neighbour also witnessed a Darwin entrant. To avoid a set of lights they decided to use a parallel road which has seen hardly any cars and was sheet ice. The neighbour heard the car, it careered down the road which ends in a T junction with a 40 limit bus route. Fearing the worst of ending up shooting out of the junction the driver took avoiding action by driving onto the edge of the playing field, but was going too fast and ended up embedded in a lamp post.

Driving in snow - advice? - madf
Saturday am was -8C but far less icy than last Sunday which was -2C but icier due to rain freezing on roads.

Lots of hard packed snow around -today in Staffordshire Moorlands but easy driving and ABS will not kick in unless you are very brutal braking.

I run in these conditions and really it's not at all bad compared to what I have experienced in the past.

First time we have had any significant snow since we bought our Mark1 diesel Yaris 4 years ago. Nice and stable with low speed torque and narrow wheels....

(one of my requirements was low running costs - narrow tyres.)

Usual fun watching BMW s in car parks...
Just been out in my car. There was 4 inches of snow on my windscreen so took a long time to clear. Was fine but the engine did not like being in 3rd at 10mph! Once onto the main roads it was a lot better.

Still the wheels must have locked up a couple of times, thankfully most drivers were sticking to the spririt and driving safely and giving people room. I still had a 3 series up my behind though for daring to 20mph on a none gritted 30 limit.
Driving in snow - advice? - Clanger
Nothing to do with grip but remember that if you are too idle to clear the snow off your roof, sooner or later it will unstick itself and fall off. If you happen to be doing a "by the book" braking manoeuvre when it does come unstuck, a pile of snow the size of a billiard table will slide onto your windscreen and blind you. There will be so much of the stuff the wipers won't budge and you'll be left peering through a thin slit at the top the of windscreen like a WW1 tank driver.

Quite possibly.
Driving in snow - advice? - Jcoventry
I was driving home today. I turn into the road next to mine, and then follow it around to mine - this requires handling a tight bend. Bearing in mind this is a tight bend, so it should be taken at slow speed in 2nd gear (even in dry conditions), but at this time of year it is covered in snow and is very dangerous. I handled it properly - went slow, kept complete control of the car.

There was a Citroen Saxo behind me, who took the corner at speed, almost lost complete control - when I looked in my rear view mirror, his car was swerving all over the place. I parked my car as quickly as possible to get out of his way. Afterwards he started speeding up! Why do people drive like this in the snow - are they suicidal?
They are just too thick to understand the basic physics behind grip. Some people have no feel at all for their cars and just drive full on what ever the conditions.
Driving in snow - advice? - Bagpuss
I was out yesterday enjoying the car on the sheet ice and snow currently covering the minor roads where I live. -15C and an opportunity to to try out power oversteer using a heavy right foot at 10 km/h followed by locking up all 4 wheels with the brakes. Huge fun but possibly alarming for anyone watching. The Audi A6 I'm driving today is very boring by comparison.

Best car for the snow was my wife's Ford Ka. 155(!) section tyres. Totally unstoppable.
Driving in snow - advice? - wotspur
I had reason to go to Henley on Thames , this afternoon -Mon fromWeybridge. On the M25/M4 No problems - on the A road up towards High Wycombe, again no probs, took the slip road, went to brake thank goodbness no one was around me, I went skating.
The road towards HOT was ok at 25 mph, till about 2 miles out when it came apparant the hill down into the town was too treacherous - so I did the sensible thing and returned home.
Loved it when a Porsche pulled out on me, with a safe distance, but over revved it and went down the road at 90', before rectifying the situation
keep safe driving out there

Edited by Webmaster on 22/12/2009 at 01:13

This has appeared on our lorry drivers forums as advice!!

1) Do like the ducks and head south for winter.

2) If you need to slow down you're probably going too fast in the first place

3) Everything in moderation, easy on the throttle, brakes and steering.

4) There is more traction on virgin snow, don't be afraid to use it but look out for other vehicles pulling out in front of you.

5) If you see vehicles stuck on a slope in front of you wait at the bottom unless you have clear room to get past. But you're probably better off waiting at the bottom.

6) For uphill sections select a gear one lower than needed to get up the incline and stay in it, using no more than half revs.

7) When you see Dutch drivers putting on their snowchains .. park up.

8) All booking times and route planning becomes obsolete, cover up all clocks and watches. You get there when you get there.

9) You very often get further by going nowhere, If roads are treacherous park up until you see the snow plough go past, and then follow it.

10) You're the captain of the truck and it only moves when you says it does. Late running is something the traffic office can sort out. A truck in the ditch is a whole new ball game.

Pat
Driving in snow - advice? - Mapmaker
There was a Citroen Saxo behind me who took the corner at speed almost lost
complete control - when I looked in my rear view mirror his car was swerving
all over the place. I parked my car as quickly as possible to get out
of his way. Afterwards he started speeding up! Why do people drive like this in
the snow - are they suicidal?

Sounds to me as though he enjoys driving, knows what he's doing and is making progress in an "exciting" manner. Probably been on an IAM course for his 18th birthday present and showing off.

Rattle, you'll have to learn from experience, just like the rest of us did. Every situation is different.

Edited by L'escargot on 24/12/2009 at 07:51

Driving in snow - advice? - dieseldogg
I'm with Rattle, its all about the physics.
and just a weeee bit of luck occasionally.
I do appreciate that I have the good fortune to be driving on less busy roads , and the few vehicles I have met on virtually single track soild white rural roads have been proceeding, like myself, with prudence.
ie feel free to stuff her through the hedge when there are no other vehicles to potentially collide with, but slow up to a sensible crawl when meeting oncoming vehicles.
Like i pulled into a slap to allow a lorry past, I was facing downhill he was climbing, simple courtsey really.
cheers
M