Stop/Start Cars - loskie
I was always under the impression that with a Turbo Diesel car (possibly petrol turbo too) that before switching off the car you let it idle a while to prevent turbo wear.
Will this issue have been addressed by manufacturers of Stop/Start cars or will we see a high number of turbo failures.
Or is my original impression old hat?
Stop/Start Cars - dieseldogg
I know that some of the turbo cars had/have? an auxilary electric lube oil pump to keep the turbo happy, in certain circumstances ie when skelping hot. ie after sustained high load high rev driving.
However stop start town driving is hardly going to have the turbo skelping hot, so it should not be an issue.
ramble over.
cheers
M

Edited by dieseldogg on 08/12/2009 at 10:05

Stop/Start Cars - injection doc
I agree with loskie, storming on a mototrway & all come to a sudden traffic halt with stop start I do wonder about water circulation in a very hot cylinder head ( I know some vehicles have electric pumps to help keep water circulating ) & turbo's suddenly shutting of whilst there temp has been up in the 600-700 mark! that will cook the oil around the bearings for sure. The proof will be in the pudding in a few years time when turbo failure & higher electrical failures & cylinder heads cracking !So how will all the manuafcturing of all these replacement parts help reduce global warming?
Stop/Start Cars - jc2
You'll only damage a turbo(petrol or diesel)by switching it off when it is very hot.In traffic-where the stop/start technology is likely to operate,it won't be that hot.Most turbo vehicles do not need to be idled because most people live/work in 30 mph. areas and the turbo is not that hot.And,yes,I do drive one,have owned others,and have never ever had any problems.

Edited by jc2 on 08/12/2009 at 10:09

Stop/Start Cars - loskie
Off a motorway onto slip road q, roundabouts, traffic lights, motorway roadworks will the engine not stop after going at high speed?
Stop/Start Cars - dieseldogg
On the other hand since cars equipped with this stop-start technology moniter the battery state, enging temp, ambient temp etc etc in order to decide whether to stop or not.
logically? if the engine /turbo is too hot it will NOT switch off, but simmer/tick over until it is safe to do so.
Stop/Start Cars - commerdriver
How do you get a modern diesel too hot anyway? 70mph is just over 2000 rpm in mine, surely not going to get too hot on that.
Stop/Start Cars - jc2
RTFM-there are usually ways of disabling this function.
Stop/Start Cars - DP
RTFM-there are usually ways of disabling this function.

I wonder if this will fall into the "drink for your friendly dealer tech" category, along with disabling DRLs, auto locking and other nonsense.

I know someone who has put 76,000 miles on a 320d with Efficient Dynamics, and so far 100% reliable, (and he STILL hasn't managed to catch it out despite consciously trying).

Stop/Start Cars - WellKnownSid
My understanding is that a turbo-equipped Cavalier from the late 1980's would definately fall into that category - but the design of modern turbos, modern oils and the low EGT of modern diesels make this less important.

And as someone else said, the systems are quite clever - monitoring temperature, battery voltage, etc to determine whether stopping is appropriate.

I'm sure that time will tell, and no doubt there will be plenty of these systems reaching the technical forum in due course!