wannabe farmers - bell boy
if you are were of those wanabbe farmers driving down the A19 this afternoon in lashing rain and fields and roads flooded everywhere just consider even that there are idiots in cars doing 70mph,you people doing 20mph with no sidelights and only a flashing beacon 15 foot in the air are an accident waiting to happen.
Ive seen the mangled wreckages of two tractors on the roads of north yorkshire now where cars have run into the backs of you,my theory is as i saw it today in poor conditions is that your tyres all 10 feet tall of them are like battleship grey ships on the high seas ie they blend in with the terra firma
for all and sundry please turn your little side light switches to on
im sure global warming wont be affected by 4 watts of power used
i thank you...........
signed
a concerned motorist who doesnt want to come upon an idiot car driver and another young farmer who knows bestist
wannabe farmers - Martin Devon
First class post BB
wannabe farmers - perro
Well belle bouy - the amount of motorcyclists that are 'taken out' by these agro-cultural vehicles is very sad indeed and you are making a very good point but - Farmers are a law unto themselves and beyond danger 10ft above ground level - and they know it!
wannabe farmers - grumpyscot
It's these long, spikey, ground rakers that they tow along too - usually no lights on the back either - motorcyclist hits that and ends up going through the farmer's equivalent of a cheese grater
wannabe farmers - FotheringtonThomas
People should be more careful on the road - both drivers of such vehicles without adequate lights (although you do mention "a flashing beacon 15 foot in the air", so the vehicles you mention should be quite OK) - and drivers of other vehicles.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who bash into debris on the road, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, or any other thing on the road and then claim "I didn't see it", or "The road conditions were less than perfect", or "It wasn't my fault". It was their fault.
wannabe farmers - Cliff Pope
There are two differing principles used to try to avoid collisions between moving objects in poor visibility.

1) Low power lights are carried so as to make the object visible
or
2) High power lights are used to illuminate other objects and vehicles.

The first principle is used at sea, in the air, and on railways, the second is used on roads. Under the first principle, the onus is to show lights of sufficient visibility to avoid being run into.
Under the second, the onus is to proceed only at a speed within the range of illumination.

So logically, there is no need for any tractor, pedestrian, cow, horse, or car to show any lights at all, other than forward-pointing headlights for use if the driver wishes to proceed at more than walking pace.

But as usual, the requirements and arguments are muddled, so accidents occur in the grey areas.
wannabe farmers - madf
I live in agricultural areas.
Rule 1: never drive fast round blind corners.
Rule 2: there is always a tractor/combine/digger on the road.
Rule 3: Rule 2 means mud and shorter stopping distances.
Rule 4: farms = animals. Animals stray onto roads. Animals get scared and do silly things.

Most people ignore Rule 1 in farm areas and are pig ignorant (!!) or stupid about 2,3 and 4.

Modern driving is self preservation..

Edited by madf on 01/12/2009 at 13:44

wannabe farmers - perro
>>>Rule 1:
>>>Rule 2:
>>>Rule 3:
>>>Rule 4:

I think you're probably right fella ... probably.
I've lived in Cornwall for 13 years now and Farmer Giles has to get from A 2 B or field to field in his very slow vehicle.
I have known a few Farmers and they have mostly set an excellent example, but these days a lot of Agro-cultural work is carried out by contractors and I have seen many of their BIG trailers with rear lights completely covered by mud + no number plate at all + turning right without indicating.
I believe it sez somewhere in the Highway code about driving to what the road conditions dictate - nuf sed!
wannabe farmers - Old Navy
There is a VOSA checkpoint near me, they use motorcycle police to direct the trucks in for checks, I don't see why they can't check cars as well while they are on site, I have never seen a car being checked there.
wannabe farmers - Harleyman
I don't see why they can't check cars as well while they
are on site I have never seen a car being checked there.

Not enough profit in it. Their employer (ie HMG) might be both morally and financially bankrupt, but realises that hauliers are a far easier target, and they are wary of antagonising voters (ie motorists) any further.