98 1.4 (8v) Whining Noise from Rear at Speed - oasked
Hello all,

Recently I have noticed a whining coming from the rear of the car when driving along. The whine changes as the speed increases (rather than getting more intense), what could be the causes of this?

The car has only done 35,000 miles and has been regularly serviced etc. It was last serviced and MOT'd in August.

Is a rear wheel bearing a likely cause - or is it likely to be something else?

Do I need to get the problem sorted urgently?

Thanks in advance!
98 1.4 (8v) Whining Noise from Rear at Speed - Dynamic Dave
Does the noise increase or decrease when cornering? If so, then it *could* be a bearing. Don't however dismiss a faulty tyre. If not sure what you're looking for, then ask a garage.
Well, after a 80mile trip today I took it to my local garage (Good Garage Scheme) and they instantly identified it as the rear bearings, the rear right being the worst.

They advised me NOT to drive it tomorrow, so it'll stay there overnight and they should fix it tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Now I have to work out how to get to the middle of knowhere for 8am tomorrow morning. Better to be safe than sorry though. :)
98 1.4 (8v) Whining Noise from Rear at Speed - bell boy
poor bearings on this age of polo
like a lot of other bits too
thankfully you had the sense to get expert help before you went wheel chasing
To be honest I was quite suprised that they need to be done - like I said the car has only done 35,000 miles and has been treated immaculately over its lifetime.

On a positive note, the commute tomorrow without a car isn't as bad as I thought - bonus. :)
98 1.4 (8v) Whining Noise from Rear at Speed - bell boy
they wont last long if the last man in doesnt adjust the play out of them properly :-)
Sorry, can you translate that? I'm feeling a bit thick this evening! :)