Brake Pads and Discs - Campbell
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker who doesn't post very often...but I have a concern that I hope you can help with.

Today I had new brake pads and discs fitted to the front of my Corsa. The brakes had been grinding for a few miles, so both pads and discs were required.

When i picked the car up, the mechanic warned me that the brake pedal might feel a little spongey, but should soon stiffen back up...no problem I thought. Well, when i pulled out the car park I nearly overshot a junction because the brake pedal is *much* slacker (for want of a better word) then before. The pedal has to be pushed almost to the floor for anything more than slight braking. The car still stops, but requires the pedal to be pushed way further than before.

I've now done around 60 miles, and it's still the same.
Is this normal? Do I need to wait longer for the brakes to bed in?
Brake Pads and Discs - Lygonos
There may be air in the brake fluid lines - as this is compressible compared to the fluid it may explain the 'spongy' brakes.

Rattle should be along in a minute for the definitive Corsa advice 8-)
Brake Pads and Discs - gordonbennet
Normally new pads when fitted with new discs require very little bedding in, i would expect normal pedal and brakes within 100 miles at most if used normally.

New pads on worn discs can have the effect you describe for quite some time.

I'm thinking along the 'air in the system' fault too...leaving the brakes for some miles presumably down to the metal backing tells me the car has seen some neglect...i wonder if it would be a good idea to get your mechanic to renew the fluid anyway thereby eliminating that problem..it's probably due for renewal anyway.
Brake Pads and Discs - Number_Cruncher
I wonder what method was used during the retraction of the pistons in the caliper? Check to see if the bleed screws have been disturbed. You hope to see that the bleed screws have been slackened, allowing fluid out of the caliper rather than being pushed back into the master cylinder.

The fear is that one of the seals in the master cylinder has flipped over - Vauxhalls are a bit prone to this during brake work.

Take the car back, and watch what they do. If they try to bleed or renew the fuid, AND have trouble getting fluid to be pumped out smartly, get the garage to fit a new master cylinder. You shouldn't be charged for this work, as they've done the damage.

If the pedal is as bad as you describe, the car is not sdafe to be driven.

Brake Pads and Discs - Campbell
Thanks for the replies everyone,

The garage I took it to is 60 miles away, but is a national chain, so I'll take it to the local one tomorrow and explain...hopefully they'll have some record of the work on their system, but if not I have the sheet/receipt detailing the work done today.

I had new pads, on presumably the original disks a while ago, and while the pedal felt the same afterwards, there was noticeable brake fade for a few miles after.

gordonbennet...I don't think the car has been neglected. The grinding started at the last few miles (3 miles at the most) of a 60mile journey, and I thought it better to continue to my destination than stop in an unfamiliar city. The brakes felt completely normal when I set off. Perhaps I should have known the pads would be nearing the end of their life because of the time since they were last replaced, but it's my first car so I've never done this before!

I'm more annoyed at the garage who performed a fairly comprehensive service on my car 3 months ago and didn't mention the pads were worn.

Brake Pads and Discs - Lygonos
I'm more annoyed at the garage who performed a fairly comprehensive service on my car 3 months ago and didn't mention the pads were worn. <<

Two possibilities why it wasn't noticed, other than poor servicing by the last garage (as pads are probably the first thing a garage should look at - easiest money there is other than topping up washer fluid!).

1 - one/both calipers may be binding, speeding the brake pad wear.
2 - the replacement pads were rubbish - I had a mate who was smug that he could get a set of pads for his cavalier (in 1990) for £3.99 - even though he was replacing them every 2-3 months.