05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - leemssn
Hi,
Just purchased my first golf. It is a 55 plate 2.0 TDI 140 4motion. 53k and FSH.

When the engine is accelerating and de-accelerating i hear a small like siren noise coming from the car. This happens most and at it's loudest when the car hits smaller revs.
The car runs fine but this noise is starting to irritate me. Do i have a major problem here?? Have any of you experienced this or know what's causing this?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2009 at 13:45

05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - adverse camber
You're sure its engine speed related, not road speed? The only 'siren' like noises I've suffered have been wind noise.

05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - Hamsafar
The turbocharger can make a siren noise as the speed it is spinning passes through a certain range. Some say it is on it's way out, others say it is normal.
05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
If truly engine speed related, you may be able to pin the source down by opening the bonnet and gently revving the engine. Make sure the handbrake is on!
Possibly auxiliary drive belts/alternator as a first guess. If noise goes when water is squirted on the belt, to lubricate the noise away, that is the culprit.
05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - Altea Ego
Its the turbo. All the VWs TD engines I have owned start to make whiney turbo type noises around the 40 k upwards mark. Its very soft and hard to hear tho
05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - adverse camber
Maybe its in the wording, I would describe the turbo as whistling.
Even when the car is idle and i am not in gear and accelarate the siren noise goes loud and quiet in sync with the acceleration. I spoke to a VW technican and described my problems he said something like (i forgot the first part) pressure valve and it's designed to do that, but i would have to let the physically check that.

Do i have a problem here?

I wish i was mechanically minded.....
This siren noise happens before the turbo kicks in, it sounds more like the accelareation but like i say i don't have a clue about these things....
05 2.0TDi 4motion - Siren Noise - daveyjp
Had it on both my A3s from brand new. It sounds like an emergency vehicle some distance away.
Yes exactly...

So nothing to worry about?
Anyone else enlighten me on this further and give me an answer on what this could be for sure.
Not had time to get to garage due to work commitments....

Thanks