Health & Safety.Useful or Waste of Time? [RO] - Armitage Shanks {p}
I appreciate that, when it was introduced, it was to protect mostly manual workers from injury or death, caused by hazards in the workplace or even the negligence of employers. This is a good thing overall.

However, it seems to me the scope in being expanded, because otherwise those employed to enforce the rules wouldn't have that much to do.

In todays's DT I found the following which I have summarised.

1. An Army veteran, selling poppies in a shopping centre in Portsmouth, was asked to leave as he had not undergone a "Risk Assessment.

2. 2 Metropolitan police officers, despite having a spare wheel and a jack in their vehicle, had to wait 2 hours for the designated contractor to turn out and do the job for them. (This may be more a contractural issue than H&S to be fair)

3. Feeling Green, and wanting save whales or chipmunks or whatever, a couple walked 400 yards to their local waste disposal centre to get rid of some rubbish. They were told that they could only come by car as there was no approved pedestrain access. Husband left his wife and the rubbish at the entrance, went home and picked up his car, drove back to the tip and put the rubbish in, drove into the centre and unloaded it.

Any thoughts? There are plenty of other recent cases which are similar and I thing BR members are aware of them. Is this law being too rigorously interpreted and applied?

Edited by Pugugly on 06/11/2009 at 23:51

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - diddy1234
I cant help but think all of the Health and Safety pink fluffy dice is a waste of time.

Its only being used politicly to rush through new laws (loosely related to terror and fear).

There is also the fear of being sued since this country is going more aligned with America and their sue everything culture.

Goodness knows what this country will be like in 20 years time !

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2009 at 19:26

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Mick Snutz
You mentioned the word God. I'm offended so now I'm going to sue this website!

;-)

He also broke the no swearing policy. Both of which have now been edited out. Remember it's far easier for us to delete than it is to edit!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2009 at 19:27

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - pda
It's useful, if you go into a firm with a lorry and can't find anyone, as is often the case, all you have to do is walk across the yard without a high viz on and with a fag in your hand.

They appear from nowhere:)

Please don't get me started on this one Mr Shanks!

Pat

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Martin Devon
There is also the fear of being sued since this country is going more aligned
with America and their sue everything culture.
Goodness knows what this country will be like in 20 years time !

It won't be here.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Badwolf
I agree that H&S was introduced with the best of intentions. However, H&S these days has little to do with a genuine desire to protect people and more to do with 'back-covering'. It also seems to be a catch-all excuse to get out of facing obligations.

I used to be H&S rep for the Union when I worked on the buses and was seriously considering moving in to the H&S 'industry'. I'm very glad that I didn't as I'm not sure I could have put up with enforcing some of the petty rules that seem to have sprung up.

The coach company that I work for now has a very hit and miss approach to H&S. They make us wear the ubiquitous hi-vis waistcoat (which, in itself has been rendered ineffective due to its abundance) in the yard but yet won't erect suitable lighting on the metal steps up to the office or provide us with an effective heater in our very basic rest room.

I actually think that this all-encompassing, all-cosseting H&S is producing a generation of people who have no concept of personal risk as it's all worked out and managed for them. Very dangerous, in my opinion.

PS - I'm sure that the Army veteran who was ejected from the shopping centre for not having a risk assesment would have loved to have seen the RA when he was a serving soldier....
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - DP
A very honourable and necessary principle that has got way out of hand, and is now little more than an expensive and cumbersome means of litigation avoidance.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Armstrong Sid
I agree that H&S was introduced with the best of intentions.

>>

But like many things, it gets taken over the idealistic bureaucrats. I suppose originally it was to stop people messing around like this

www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/teetimegb-...g
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - mike hannon
> A very honourable and necessary principle that has got way out of hand, and is now little more than an expensive and cumbersome means of litigation avoidance.<

Neatly summed up, DP.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Alanovich
It comes as no surprise that, when our Dear Leaders are made up almost entirely of people whose primary profession is The Law, that they should choose to implement arcane and deliberately interpretable law, thus generating further income for their already bloated professional colleagues.

H&S is merely part of this trend. The amount of new legislation implemented by the current shower of jokers is staggering, and I don't doubt the next shower of jokers won't continue the pattern.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Westpig
I think it's generally a good thing totally ruined when minor bureaucrats and the pedantic with a power trip get hold of it.

We should send our ire in the right direction.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Andrew-T
They should choose to implement arcane and deliberately interpretable law ...

which usually serves mainly to constrain and annoy the naturally law-abiding, while failing to limit the activities of those who DO need to be constrained. There are simply not enough enforcers to police all the restrictions now on the statute book.

But because of the backside-protection aspect already mentioned, there is little scope for applying these laws with commonsense.
I actually think that this all-encompassing all-cosseting H&S is producing a generation of people who
have no concept of personal risk as it's all worked out and managed for them.
Very dangerous in my opinion.
PS - I'm sure that the Army veteran who was ejected from the shopping centre
for not having a risk assesment would have loved to have seen the RA when
he was a serving soldier....

Like the two Coppers who let a person drown cos they hadn't been taught how to go into a pond!! FACT.

Saddos or what. No wonder we have no respect.

MD
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Pugugly

Like the two Coppers who let a person drown cos they hadn't been taught how to go into a pond!! FACT.

To be factually correct they were PCSOs.

To be factually correct they were PCSOs.

and to be even more fair to them, when they got there, they could not see the drowning/drowned person , because he was by then out of sight, albeit the spot was pointed out by persons who did see the person drowning

which is a bit different to someone floundering in front of your eyes
So don't let a "FACT" get in th way of a good whinge.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - FotheringtonThomas
1. An Army veteran selling poppies in a shopping centre in Portsmouth was asked to
leave as he had not undergone a "Risk Assessment.

That sounds inappropriate.

2. 2 Metropolitan police officers despite having a spare wheel and a jack in their
vehicle had to wait 2 hours for the designated contractor to turn out and do
the job for them. (This may be more a contractural issue than H&S to be
fair)

The DT thinks it's more of a contractual issue - however, it reflects badly on the relevant purchasing personnel.

3. (snip) no approved pedestrain access (to a household waste disposal site)

There's no pedestrian access to stop commercial operators parking outside and walking in. The reported phraseology is unhelpful.

Is this law being too rigorously interpreted and applied?

However, I certainly agree with that!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - nortones2
If HSWA is being too rigorously interpreted, it is amost certainly by agencies other than the enforcing authorities, who have more important work to do than these strange examples. Serious understaffing at HSE prevents vital inspection and investigation work on genuinely risky businesses such as construction. Perhaps its the managers/insurers of the sites who need training in what is, and what is not, important?
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - dieseldogg
Well in my line of work there has been a persistent myth that one could not work off a ladder.
at first I took it at face value until a particular job arose that only sensiblly could be done off a ladder
I searched and searched for the appropriate legisation??????
without success.
the H & S website merely ADVISED that if it is a recurrent access issue...... look at other means. cherry pickers etc
and a lot of other very sensible advice.
such as ensuring the ladder was stable and tied off.
and that a risk assessment was conducted.
However a couple of Christmasses ago a couple of workmen were hurt putting up Christmas lights.
Whilst attempting to travel across a moderately steep cross slope in a hotwired ( or so I was told) warehouse model sissors lift.
Whilst still in the elevated position.
Doh indeed

Edited by dieseldogg on 04/11/2009 at 15:58

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - jc2
Nothing wrong with the laws;just how they are applied.Safe working conditions are required so if it is safe to do the work with a ladder,it can be done.Now,if you are cynical,you might think that the builder gets a kickback from the scaffolding firm.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Dutchie
I used to be a safety rep ,employed by Bp Chemicals voluntary.Iwas a jetty operator at the time.Due to Health and Safety compulsary wearing of helmets safety glasses and the culture of safe working practices are now enforced .Now as a coxen working on our mooring boat in the river Humber i have a skipper licence after a difficult training course.(The river Humber takes no prisoners)We moore the big tankers on the jetties can be hairy on a winters night.Yes Health and Safety is inportant.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Lud
Yes Health and Safety is inportant.

Certainly, for work that has obvious and specific risks and dangers. Not for walking down the street or changing tap washers though. That's just makework for halfwits.
Agree Lud live is a risk and tap washers i can live with:)
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - b308
There was a programme on it not so long ago which came to the conclusion that there was nothing inherently wrong with EU H&S, but our interpretation of it was totally OTT. This is bourne out on my many visits to mainland Europe where its clear that they have not been tied up in knots by it and Common Sense prevails...

It was interesting that they interviewed and showed the guys who wrote the leglislation how we were interpreting the law and they couldn't believe it, saying that most of the stuff we do was not necessary and certainly not intended when they wrote the stuff...

Also changing the "blame culture" to one where people are actually expected to exercise some Common Sense may help matters as well...

Edited by b308 on 04/11/2009 at 16:46

Good point b308 we seem to be so tied with this american culture of blame ,if i bang my head on board its my fault nobody else .This crazy culture of blame is out of hand.
changing the "blame culture" to one where people are actually expected to exercise some Common Sense

Alas, the change is in the other direction, and it is remorseless in all developed countries. Unless there's a global disaster this will continue because it's built into the political systems of all western countries and increasingly built into the attitudes of individuals.

Of course in the end it will do for the West itself as global bull moose. Those of more practical or utilitarian outlook will take over. Can't say I fancy it much either. But I'll be dead by then.
If it is safe to do the work with a ladder, it can be done.

But it is possible to fall off any ladder. When does a ladder become hazardous?

A few years ago we needed a cowl fitted to our roof chimney stack. In the old days experienced roof workers would use a ladder up to roof level, and a crawling ladder up the roof itself. Not now - a full scaffold job: over £300 scaffold hire to fit a £40 cowl. Daft. It just means that more relatively simple maintenance jobs become prohibitively expensive.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - jc2
So,when you have a new TV aerial,they will have FULL scaffolding??????????
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - BobbyG
I think the issue can be pretty much summed up with

1. The ignorance of the person querying the task
2. The perceived knowledge of the person saying that it has to be done this way because of H&S
3. The "cover the backside" mentality of a person in authority not being prepared to put their job on the line by instructing a task in case something wrong happens and they are left exposed.

So we all make assumptions, interpretations and end up in the current mess!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Altea Ego
Current H&S practices have some good points. The main one being that the person carry out the task should make a risk assesment before carrying out the task. This requires a bit of common sense, and the backing of the law when the person doing it says they wont becuase of x danger should be mitigated by y

Its all goes breasts up when you get some tick box hitler with his fresh H&S certificate, no knowledge of the task at hand and therefore no comprehension of the risks involved.

H&S should be left to those who do the job, backed up by education and protection from their employer forcing them to work in an unsafe way.

Simples peeps

Edited by Altea Ego on 04/11/2009 at 18:01

I recently conducted some risk assessments with 20 of my shop managers. In almost every risk their perception of "Likelihood" was that the risk was Possible and likely to happen at some point.

However when I asked how many of these specific accidents had happened over the last 20 years and noted in accident books, the risks suddenly became unlikely. However everyone's perception was that it was likely!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - SlidingPillar
Over eager interpretation for the most part. There is nothing in the rules to stop the local H&S rep from doing a verbal assessment for a one off activity, and while the poppy seller is probably returning, a full risk assessment ought to take only a minute to do anyway.

It's actually the things you take for granted are often the worst risks. Staff room kettle being extremely high on the list.

And yes, I do them for work, but it's a minor task albeit serious.
a full risk assessment ought to take only a minute to do anyway.

I have a son-in-law who is a musician. He has recently started teaching teenage pupils to play drums (apparently hates it, so may not last long). But as he only started doing it recently he had to go through all those checks to make sure he has never murdered, abused or raped a nipper.

He had to pay seventy quid for it.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Alby Back
Unfortunately, there are many who simply thrive on rules and regulations. Equally regretably there are also many who see no need for them at all. In the middle ground somewhere lies common sense, a much under-utilised skill.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Ben 10
Where I work we used to change tube lighting ourselves.

Now due to H&S, we have to accumulate enough burned out tubes and get an electrical contractor in to replace. Okay they have ladders. We want to change the things, but guess what, we're not allowed to. It's the bosses that are afraid of litigation.

As has been said ,if you have been trained to assess a situation and handle the kit ,use common sense, you should be allowed to go ahead. If you injure yourself, so be it. Patch up and move on.

And I'm talking about a fire station!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - bristol01
>>>>Where I work we used to change tube lighting ourselves.

>>>>Now due to H&S, we have to accumulate enough burned out tubes and get an electrical contractor in to replace.

Meanwhile, your workplace is plunged into darkness, and you break your neck tripping over a chair that has not been pushed under a desk properly....

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - SlidingPillar
Lud

That check was a CRB check and you have to one for each organisation you work for. I've done one for the Scouts, but as it is a listed charity, mine was free.
Even here though you get overeager interpretation as the real point is being alone with YP. So as long as the leader, or other CRBed person is there, it's notionally safe but any regular person ought to be checked.

You can apply the rules sensibly, just that not all do!
Don't get us started on CRB checks - they are not a complete waste of time, but as is well known, one cannot prove a negative, which is what these checks aim to do. The best that can be achieved is (assuming records are accurate) that the person has not been caught before. The real value of the check is that the employer (or whatever it is) can be shown to have jumped through the appropriate hoop.

They are a significant deterrent to keen volunteers in many areas, which is a pity.
Don't get us started on CRB checks - The real value of the check is
that the employer (or whatever it is) can be shown to have jumped through the
appropriate hoop.
They are a significant deterrent to keen volunteers in many areas which is a pity.

CRB checks are becoming a danger and are a typical example of how warped the original idea can become.

Many folk are now treating the CRB check as being the 'be all and end all'....are are then switching off. Instead of using their radar to guard their kids/ the kids in their care, they're shrugging their shoulders and thinking 'must be o.k. the CRB check has been done'.

Truly evil people won't come up on CRB checks. They'll have assumed false identities. Even mildly evil people can change their names by deed poll and will not come up on any CRB check.

What a farce.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - jbif
Even mildly evil people can change their names by deed poll and will not come up on any CRB check. >>

And what about all the millions of new citizens who were born abroad, some from countries where birth records do not exist - let alone criminal records. CRB checks are useless in those cases.

Getting back to the OP, the HSE are trying hard to educate the jobsworths that H&S does not ban conkers, hanging baskets, or what have you. Some of their cartoons here:
www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

Edited by jbif on 05/11/2009 at 18:20

>>Now if you are cynical you might think that the builder gets a kickback from the scaffolding
firm.

In these strapped times? Go and read a bedtime story silly boy. We are not all like you.

MD
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - L'escargot
My employer had plastic garden chairs and tables in tea-break areas. One day a leg of one of the chairs broke. Within minutes all similar chairs in the factory had been cordoned off on the orders of the Health & Safety Officer, who two days earlier had been a gopher/clerk in the Electronics Department. Next day all the chairs were rounded up and placed in rubbish skips. Talk about power-mad!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - The Melting Snowman
About six months ago at work a plastic battery-operated wall clock fell from the wall and broke into many pieces on hitting the floor. There was some jagged glass but the extent of the debris was about two square feet on the floor. Some twit in a yellow coat was contacted to clear it up despite there being a dustpan and brush in the room and a suitable bin nearby for glass. Ridiculous.

I dread to think what might happen if someone drops a paper clip on their foot. Probably be rushed off to A&E.

In the old days we accepted life had some risks but you instinctively developed boundaries regarding what was sensible and what was not.
In the old days we accepted life had some risks but you instinctively developed boundaries regarding what was sensible and what was not.

Quite MS.

Thoroughly sound middle-class attitudes that some of today's wonks would certainly regard as right wing.

(evil smirk)
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Kiwi Gary
An interesting discussion, as I have recently retired from 20 years in the construction industry. Here in NZ, the law places equal duty on employer and employee. The employer has to provide the necessary safety equipment etc, and train the staff in its use and in safe work practices for the site, but thereafter, it is up to each person to make sure that he / she works safely. Special safety plans are, of course, made in situ for any tricky work such as heavy lifts. There have been cases where an employee working unsafely against "Site-safe" instruction has jeopardised his workmates and has found himself, not the employer, in court when an accident happens.

Slight motoring connection - a lot of the major transport companies here have their trucks emblazoned with a toll-free phone number to call if one of their drivers does unusual things [ good or bad ] on the road. The sign usually says something like, " How's my driving?? Call 0800........." Partly it would show off the professionalism of their drivers, but would also inhibit drivers from too much cowboy driving. Is there anything similar in your part of the world?
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Part 1 sounds very sensible Gary. Re Part 2, Yes we do but it isn't often easy to be in sight of the vehicle for long enough to get around to making a call, especially when it is white van doing 80 mph on sidelights in fog!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - diddy1234
and if you are lucky enough to get the 'hows my driving' phone number some are not even the correct number.

there was a spate of adult chat numbers used instead of the correct phone numbers.

must have been quite interesting for who ever phoning in to complain of bad driving !
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - welshlad
i'm the H&S advisor where i work and i spend more of my time dispelling the myths that crop up almost on a daily basis then actualling dealing with breaches of H&S, H&S was originally intended to be an aid to commonsense.

the majority of H&S issues are raised by people who are not trained to do so they make snap (and often ridiculous) judgements on 'their own' interpretation of the law, this is what needs stamping out not the H&S laws themselves.

as an Ex soldier myself im furious at the poppy seller being turf out on H&S grounds because if they were correct in doing that then no customer should ever be allowed on the property in case they happen to loiter in the entrance way, no shopping trolley should be used until the customer has been assessed for compentancy etc etc the list (the bad list) could go on and on whereas the real H&S considerations are actually few and far between
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - stunorthants26
I think of H&S very much like I do climate change really. An unstoppable industry has built up around it which is now what drives it rather than the sensible, genuine original intentions.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - mike hannon
I'm beginning to think that H & S is just one facet of a new approach in the UK - and not just the UK - to finding jobs for people in the post-industrial Western world.
Society has to cope with the people who used to be employed making things and the direct service sector - that actually provides useful services - probably can't absorb many more.
Hence there is now a new army of H & S experts, others who are now employed to carry out the countless and pointless inspections of homes that are put on the market, parking patrollers, dustbin contents inspectors, congestion charge clerks and radio traffic report readers (motoring link), etc, etc, etc.
All this absorbs money from individuals that might otherwise help the economy grow in a direct and healthy fashion and, ultimately, results in a society going nowhere.
Just a thought...
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - dieseldogg
Erm,
I had forgotten.
When we was on the Steyr Puch factory ( der "G" Wagens tour ) about 5 years ago.
The factory being in Graz Austria.
We wandered about through and among the assembly line, one member of our group had very long curly hair & open toes sandels forby. Never was named to him. Carry on Sir.
Forklifts..... yellow lines...... Hmmmmm
Stick your head in below that engine as it is being lowered into place( and one member did..............sommat interesting about the sump apparently)
Watch the guys Mig welding .......IF one was stupid enough.....there being NO screens.
I really wondered were we part of the same Europe
I was interested to hear a guy on "Axmen" comment
"you cant fix stupid"
which is apparently what a lot of our H&S nonsense is intended to achieve

Edited by dieseldogg on 05/11/2009 at 12:18

might otherwise help the economy grow in a direct and healthy fashion ...

Well, yes. At the risk of going off at a tangent, I would suggest that the economy had already grown a bit too far early last year. After a painful hiccup it seems our collective intention is to carry on where we left off, as soon as possible. The production of consumer goods has become too labour non-intensive. We should reverse the long-standing trend of mechanisation and computerisation, which is usually done with the intention of employing fewer people - hence the creation of the shoals of professional busybodies described here.
Are all your colleagues as sensible as you are welshlad?

I agree that in a country of 60 million the media are going to find lots of cases of idiocy every day. Perhaps a lot of them are the result of incompetent people trying to interpret the book of rules while covering their employer body's hindquarters?

It's interesting actually. How does the national H&S apparatus work exactly?

Haphazardly is my uninformed guess.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - jbif
How does the national H&S apparatus work exactly? >>

I think it is very much a hands-off approach, unless and until there is a major disaster when they may descend on you to prove your "corporate" guilt.

www.hse.gov.uk/business/must-do.htm

As I posted earlier, they wish to dispel myths
www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

Edited by jbif on 05/11/2009 at 23:56

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - welshlad
personally i find the best approach is to let the employees carry out the risk assessment which i then check i find that makes them think more about what they do, and as much as possible i tell them why something is deemed a risk.

i have to say it seems to work, if you start laying down the law at every turn the staff start switching off.

im often called on for H&S outside the work place so far i have not had to ban anything, even tonights bonfire night activities (apart from a few tweaks here and there). also means i get to use my health and safety hi vis jacket which cost me £40 out of my own pocket

alot of my H&S counterparts go in straight off with the 'everyone else is stupid' attitude when really theres no need for it
As long as you risk assess something thoroughly, in conjunction with appropriate training if needed...you can do almost anything. Firearms trained police officers go out with guns, prepared to shoot people dead... in an extreme example.

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Altea Ego
can do almost anything. Firearms trained police officers go out with guns prepared to shoot
people dead... in an extreme example.

Yes, and ALAS they get it wrong quite a bit.
Yes and ALAS they get it wrong quite a bit.

Which of course you never do RF.

MD
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - davecooper
I'm not sure whether it's common or not but I know some schools require the wearing of safety goggles for craft activities such as glueing, cutting paper and working with plasticene.

As a kid I played British Bulldog on ice with dozens of others and not a helmet, knee or elbow pad in sight. At the time, the 70's, this was acceptable and if you broke a bone or whatever, that was the price you payed for a bit of excitement. Never even a thought about sueing, it didn't happen.

Just two extremes on the health and safety scale.

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - dxp55
""Some twit in a yellow coat was contacted to clear it up despite there being a dustpan and brush in the room and a suitable bin nearby for glass. Ridiculous."""

was this low paid twit cleaning up because that is what he was paid for.????? - he was probably thinking what are all these twits doing sitting around.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - old crocks
>>As a kid I played British Bulldog......

Ah, I haven't heard of that for years. Does anyone still play it? Never did me any harm...except for one dislocated elbow when dropped from three feet onto solid floor.

Maybe now's the time to claim for all those years of mental anguish. If only I can remember the names of the boys involved!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - ijws15
1. An Army veteran selling poppies in a shopping centre in Portsmouth was asked to

So as a shopper in said centre will I be asked to leave if I do not have a risk assessment?

Probably only if you stand still for too long!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - bhoy wonder
H&S is completely crazy now. My job is getting harder and harder to do due to these stupid rules. Job that should take 10 minutes are taking hours.

The latest rule my company has now informed me to follow is. Go to job as equipment is down. Attend site, identify fault as tripped fuse breaker. Instead of resetting breaker I have now to inform the customer that they have to get an electrician to site to reset. AHHHHHHHHHHHH

"As long as you risk assess something thoroughly, in conjunction with appropriate training if needed...you can do almost anything."

No you don't.
3rd floor flat off Ladbroke Grove with a suspected knife wealding intruder inside. Local units from Notting Hill in attendance outside and either flat each side.

I was called to assist MPS and was met by a female sergeant who wanted me to pitch our ladder to the third floor window to see if the intruder was definately in the flat by looking through the window. So I said, my crew will pitch the ladder for one of your team to climb. No she said, they are not allowed, thats why she called us in. She wanted one of my crew to ascend and have a look.

I risk assessed the situation from my view point. Decided it was not safe to send a firefighter up to potentially get stabbed and declined to offer our assistance.
I asked her why she didn't just break the door in, from the landing. Her excuse, was the equipment was an hour away.
Good decision spood you used common sense firefighers are not there to be stabbed.
Are you or were you based at Ladbroke Grove fire station spood?

If so, greetings. We had an arson attempt here some time back and your colleagues did their stuff admirably.
Greetings Lud,

Yes, did five years there and moved on in 2006.
Don't blame you Spood, that was the wrong call.

All London police officers have received most specific advice at training days that expressly forbids you from climbing more than 3 meters high, unless you've had proper height training, which isn't an option for all (after the then current Commissioner and the previous one, both went to the Old Bailey as defendants in a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive after two PCs fell off rooves if separate incidents..and died).

Quite what you're supposed to (officially) do if you were called to a fire escape with a toddler at the top of it, in danger of falling off....no one's told us. I know what i'd do.

I'd concede then, that my earlier statement does have at least one flaw in it!

Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Group B

My Mum has been selling poppies this week. Last week she was supposed to be assisting a bloke who had been selling them for many years, but this year he walked out in disgust.
He was told he was not allowed to drink a cup of tea at the selling table as hot drinks are now a health and safety risk.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Sofa Spud
QUOTE:..""It's useful, if you go into a firm with a lorry and can't find anyone, as is often the case, all you have to do is walk across the yard without a high viz on and with a fag in your hand.""

Or, as one driver at a transport company I once worked for used to do, park the lorry on the weighbridge, get out, lock the door and walk away. People soon stir themselves then!
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - Sofa Spud
Health and Safety regulations are obviously a good idea if kept in proportion, but sometimes things get silly. And yet, which area of our working lives does Health and Safety completely ignore? Why, driving cars on the road in the course of work, of course, which is probably the most dangerous work-related activity most of us do!

I mean, even in local authorities, the natural home of excessive Health and Safety, when people are required to travel in a car driven by a colleague in the course of their work, it's just assumed that because that person has a driving licence everything will be OK.

I heard a story locally a year or two ago about a cyclist who had been seriously injured in an accident. An off duty nurse was one of the first on the scene but declined to give any first aid because she could be sued, which an ordinaray memebre of the public couldn't be.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 06/11/2009 at 19:09

I don't think it is just nurses who could be sued - why just them? SFAIK anybody who assists at an accident and makes the situation worse could/might be sued. If you try to move some one with neck or back injuries you could leave them quadriplegic, if you and they were unlucky.
Health & Safety. Useful or Waste of Time? - NorfolkDriver
Alot of excuses are blamed on Health and Safety, when its the fear of being sued that is the real reason.

Mr Poppy seller has hot cup of tea at his table, mother and child comes over, child acting up and tea ends up poured over child.
On way to hospital, mother phones a no win no fee lawyer.
Lawyer sues supermarket / shopping centre manager etc and asks for proof of instructions to vendors.
There is no such rule exists, supermarket or shopping centre pays out to save on huge legal bills.
Lawyer and mum both get money and move on to the next claim.
Shopping Centre now have an 87 page document before you can sell poppies
etc etc
We regularly have volunteers in our charity shops who are sent from their employers as part of their community initiatives etc.

Before the latest employee could come in for a 3 hour voluntary shift, I had to fill out an 8 page risk Assessment for them!

Interestingly the ones with the smallest risk assessment, are the Community Service placements!
its the fear of being sued that is the real reason.

The health and safety regulations or advisory documents will be used as hooks to hang litigation on. Hence the bum-covering, cringing, better-be-stupid-just-to-be-on-the-safe-side response to any official line on this.
.....failing to see even a tenuous link to motoring any more - so it's locked.