04 1400 Radiator water low/EPC Warning light HELP - Clio87
Hi

I was recently doing a long journey when an EPC warning light came on the dashboard. In the manual it says this is something to do with engine management and says take it to a dealer.

I called the RAC out who plugged in their computer but could find no problems with it.

I've just looked under the bonnet and the white round plastic container that holds the radiator water is a long way below the minimum level.

IS IT SAFE FOR ME JUST TO OPEN THE WHITE PLASTIC container and add PLAIN ORDINARY TAP WATER? Just as an emergency measure as I have to go out in the car shortly and it being Sunday won't find a VW garage open.

The manual says it has to be a mix of water and something else which I don't have. Will I cause damage if I just put ordinary water in it to tide me over?

Many thx
04 1400 Radiator water low/EPC Warning light HELP - Dynamic Dave
The manual says it has to be a mix of water and something else....

Antifreeze/coolant most probably, which will also contain a corrosion inhibitor.

Yes, you could top up with water for now, but bear in mind you will have to drain off a certain amount to top up with a 50/50 mix of water/coolant at a later date.

Begs the question though as to why the cooling system has lost it in the first place. A leak perhaps?
04 1400 Radiator water low/EPC Warning light HELP - Clio87
Hi Dynamic Dave

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

Yes I guess there may be a leak somewhere and that might be why the EPC light came on in the first place. I will need to get it looked at but just wanted to make sure I could safely top it up for now to drive from A-B until I can get it into a garage.

Many thanks.