03 2.0 Tapping from Engine - Norn-Iron
Hello everyine, well I have been looking and reading on this forum for many months and have now decided to post, so a big heloo to everyone! :-)

Well I know all the stories with Mazda 6's and their problems, just like many other cars. I've had my 2003 Mazda6 diesel 1-2 years now and have different things go wrong with it, more recently my starter was not engaging or squealing on the first turn of the key, however the car would start on the second or sometimes third turn of the key. So this I had recently had fixed and so far so good!

The starter isnt the problem I havenow, but just this morning when travelling up the town I didnt have the radio on as I normally would. So while sitting at the traffic lights, engine ticking over, I could hear a feint tapping noise, with no particular rhythm just it came and went and as I moved off I coudlnt notice it. However at the next junction it was back and a littel louder, although when I moved off it went away again and when stopped for the third time it couldnt be heard at all. I drove home after doing what I went to do and in the driveway it was again very feint and only gave a few taps before stopping again. The car is driving fine and this noise may always have been there, just as I said I usually would have the radio on and may have never noticed it before due to this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
N-I
03 2.0 Tapping from Engine - cj1000
hi your noise could be caused by the valve clearences, or have you had the injectors calibrated to the ecu this should be carried out at each service (you will need to use a diag machine). Valve clearence should be carried out at 12500 and 75000 miles regard less of age. hope this helps
Hello cj1000, since my original post, the noise I can hear is more like a pump or bearing noise which disappears when the engine has been revved, sometimes this is louder then others. This will then reappear, but isnt consistant, the noise does come and go and I was wondering would the diesel pump (reading all the horror stories about them failing) begin to make an auditable noise, ie the suction valve failing?

It's quite a low droning noise most of the time, again this is more apparent on a cold start.

I'll check out whether or not the the valve clearence was carried out, due in for another service soon.

Cheers,
N-I
Hello again cj1000, well I had my car in for a service and has the injectors calibrated and ecu done also, the mechanic also said clearances where checked, nice dent in my pocket now too! After taking the car down the road again after collecting it, the light tapping was back when I stopped at traffic lights.

Just earlier today I was getting diesel and was sitting waiting for my other half to come out of the Maxol station and the car was ticking over, the tapping noises returned and just as they did I happened to put my foot on the clutch pedal and push it in while sitting stationary and believe it or not the noises stopped and as soon as I released the pedal they returned. Every time I pushed the clutch in they quit and came back on release. They also are intermittent and come and go.

Now my question is this, what on earth could be causing these tapping / feint rattling sounds which vanish when the clutch is pressed to the floor? Clutch pedal has no judder and clutch is working fine. Any ideas at all?

Thanks,
N-I
Hello everyone, well I thought I would update this post as I have now had the problem rectified for nearly £1000.

The feint tapping I was originally getting, did get louder since my original post. The last post in regards to the clutch making this sound go away when pressed to the floor, I thought was possibly something to do with the release bearing. After the noise was getting more often and louder, this even lead to a judder in the car / engine, I took it to a local mechanic. Since this they have stripped out the clutch to find the release bearing ok and the clutch plate. It turned out to be the dual mass flywheel and I was lucky I got it to him when I did. The DMF had started to shear the top of the holding bolts that attach it to the engine, this was due to a lot of play in the DMF itself.

So just incase anyone else has a similar issue with their Mazda 6, I thought I'd update my post.

Thanks,
N-I