96 1.6 Temperature not right - kam1nsk1
Hello

Further to my previous posts (radiator fan problems www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=78863 ), there's still something not right, as the temperature either stays very very low (needle only a little off the bottom of the dial, and it takes an age for even this to happen) or occassionally shoots up to the max (seems to be when idling or going very slowly) only to settle back to very low when you get going again.

I initially though the temp was low because the radiator fan switch was broke and the fan was on all the time, but tested it with the fan unplugged and it still hardly flickered, and now have a new fan switch.

The fuel gauge works fine, as does everything else on the instrument panel (just to rule that out).

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Always grateful

Minsk

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/10/2009 at 11:15

96 1.6 Temperature not right - redviper
Do you get any heat out of the heaters?, if poor heat

it could be (and its a common problem on Vauxhall engines) that your thermostat will need replacing, a Astra of this age should be fairly simple.
96 1.6 Temperature not right - Dynamic Dave
your thermostat will need replacing a Astra of this age should be fairly simple.

Unless it's the engine where the thermostat is behind the cambelt.
96 1.6 Temperature not right - piston power
The fuel gauge works fine, as does everything else on the instrument panel (just to rule that out). So have you tested the temp gauge?

Put the temp sensor wire to earth it should swing over to hot with ignition on without stopping etc.

If ok, Try a new stat but some 8v astras are cold running it's a known problem, you can blank off lower part of rad but not all of it.

Water pump ok? impeler not broken blade?
96 1.6 Temperature not right - kam1nsk1
Still have this problem, the heaters do heat up but the temp gauge doesn't hardly move.

Have only just noticed but it makes a hell of a lot of gurgling when the accelerator is depressed?
96 1.6 Temperature not right - piston power
it makes a hell of a lot of gurgling when the accelerator is depressed?

This might just be a simple air lock but does it use any water?

Have you tested the gauge like i said above?

A new temp gauge or sensor might be required.

But the 8v astra do run cold it's well known. good luck.........