03 1.8 Loss of Power Steering and Electrics - J_Pug306
Over 5 months, my Astra Coupe 03 has lost the power steering 3 times while trying to park. The power steering cuts out, the ABS and Traction Control light up on the dash, all electrics cut out for a split second and come back on (including radio), after a couple of mins the power steering then eventually kicks back in.

While all this is going on the engine does not cut out. However if i turn off the engine and try to restart, its as if the battery is disconnected and its completely dead.

If i leave the car for half an hour it restarts no problem (stereo reset though, like battery was disconnected) and could be 6 weeks before it happens again.

Had new battery fitted, alternator checked by 4 different garages and all earth leads checked. Its been to Vauxhall who couldnt find the fault either.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
03 1.8 Loss of Power Steering and Electrics - elekie&a/c doctor
Intermittant faults like these can be very difficult to pinpoint.However ,as you say there is a complete loss of electrics ,I would think there is a problem with the main battery supply or earth lead near the battery.It could even be a fault within the battery lead itself where it is crimped into the battery terminal.hth