Pressure warning valve caps - GaryC
Been considering a set of these 'cause I'm, frankly, a lazy pink fluffy dice - {true, as you obvously haven't bothered reading the no swearing policy } and whilst I do a visual check of the tyres, I don't go to the effort of unscrewing the caps and using a gauge.

Anyone any experiences, good, bad, with these?

I thought that these:

gbdriver.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&pr...9

Looked a better bet than the ones where you specify a pressure before buying. Those ones set when fitted and indicate red on pressure drop.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/09/2009 at 14:55

Pressure warning valve caps - aylesby
Mine were stolen after a a month.
Hm there's that I suppose.

I could areldite them on. That would stop that and would have no unintended consequences, I'm sure...
Pressure warning valve caps - Dave_TD
Apart from not being able to top up the air when the cap tells you to?
Pressure warning valve caps - rtj70
But he's already said he's lazy so probably wouldn't top up the air that often ;-)
when it looks like it needs doing, it gets checked. I was wondering if these things are an easier way of telling when it looks like it needs doing.

clearly not.
Pressure warning valve caps - rtj70
As someone above says, the problem will be someone will try to steal them.

A lot of the tyre pressure monitoring solutions on cars these days relies on the inbuilt sensors (ABS I think?) to detect loss of pressure. Some have radio frequency valves that measure pressures etc.
Pressure warning valve caps - Galaxy
Pressure warning caps? No thanks! Something else for the kids to nick.

I've even given up with metal valve caps now because they get nicked as well.

Black plastic caps for me only now.
Pressure warning valve caps - DP
I fitted a set of these to my old ZX7R and then after a bit of nagging doubt, removed them again.

Basically, they function by depressing the valve core (common sense when you think about it), and using the air pressure to operate the warning flag system. The problem is, this then transfers the responsibility of retaining air pressure from a purpose designed and time proven valve mechanism, to a small rubber seal on the underside of the cap itself.

After a bit of deliberation, I decided that the tyre valve itself was a far better device for keeping the air in the tyre than a cheap rubber O-ring, and ended up taking them off.

Cheap plastic ones for me now, a regular check with my handy digital pressure gauge, and a couple of minutes with the trusty old twin barrel footpump if any inflation is needed.

Edited by DP on 23/09/2009 at 16:11