00 1.6 Replacement Clutch Query... - RedLake
I suspect my clutch may be on the way out (75k miles). It's not too dramatic at the moment, and still drives OK 95% of the time, but the biting point is quite high, and it does over-rev occasionally when acclerating in 3rd & 4th. Also it's almost impossible to stall it with the old 1st gear/hand brake test. It just wants to creep forward.

I have two questions -

A. How much should I reasonably expect to pay a good indie garage to replace it?

And, B. if I were to have the cam belt and pulleys changed at the same time, am I likely to save myself much in the way of labour costs, as opposed to doing them on separate occasions? ( Budgetting, budgetting....the motorist's curse !)

Cheers all.
00 1.6 Replacement Clutch Query... - mikej
> How much should I reasonably expect to pay a good indie garage to replace it?

IIRC - I paid around £350 a year or two ago on my old Mk1 Focus - that was at a reputable independent garage with non-Ford parts and included clutch, release bearing and slave cylinder. Most of the other quotes I got were £400+
00 1.6 Replacement Clutch Query... - Simon
The clutch and the cam belt are two totally different jobs with no real interaction between the two. I would doubt that you will gain anything financially by having the two jobs done at the same time, unless you find someone who will give you a bit of goodwill and knock a couple of quid off, there is certainly no time saving. Both are reasonable size jobs too and having them both done together will land you with one hefty bill.
00 1.6 Replacement Clutch Query... - Peter.N.
If you drive it gently, not allowing it to slip it could last for several thousand more miles.
00 1.6 Replacement Clutch Query... - RedLake
Thanks guys. I have had a quote of £295 for the clutch & slave cylinder, all in including VAT, which I doesn't seem too bad then.

As suggested above, cam belt seems to be around £300, including replacing the water pump which can apparently sometimes then fail under newly increased tension from the belt.

No crossover between the two jobs in terms of engine bay access etc, so I'll just do the belt when I when I have digested the first bill!