Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - paul2007
Simple question!
apart from the cars that come into the super rich category, ie RR, Bentley, Bugatti/etc - is it worth buying a brand new Ford, Vauxhall, Renault, Pegout, Fiat, Chevy, Dodge Suzki, Kia/etc/etc, when these cars lose at least 33% within 3 - 6 months?

I always buy six months+ old - my merc - was9 months old - 9k on the clock - saved almost 9k

Btw, I'm talking about Brit reg cars with 3 or more years guarantee.

=========

PS: Brand new models from mass car producers will obviously hold their value better for the first 6/12 months

Edited by paul2007 on 03/09/2009 at 23:31

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Rattle
No.

Sometimes you can get much lower APR deals direct from the manufacturer. My mate got 6% APR from FIAT for his brand new Panda he got via scrappage. If he went to the bank for a second hand one the APR would have been 17%.

If you plan to keep for the car for a while who cares how much value it looses in 6 months? It is how much it costs per year that counts.

If you go out and buy a brand new Mondeo, keep it for two years then its quite silly but most private buyers would keep them a lot longer than that.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - stunorthants26
Yes of course. People buy new because they can afford to. You could buy virtually everything in a household aside from consumables, secondhand, if you so wished, but people dont often do this. Its a consumer choice.
I have virtually all secondhand furniture in my house, but if I could buy shiny brand new and not feel the hit financially, you bet id buy new!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Avant
If you do, I've been thick since 1971.....

You've carefully listed all the cars NOT to buy new (and I do like "Pegout" - a Freudian slip if ever there was one!) - as you say, because of depreciation.

If you do a low mileage, it's probably still better to buy used - and you can save a lot by buying newish high-mileage cars with FSH that no-one else wants. But there is a case for buying new, provided that it's something that holds its value well (e.g. most German cars and, especisally, the MINI). You get comparative peace of mind, the full term of the warranty and the ability to run it in as you would choose.

The nagging worry I have about nearly-new is that the first owner either caned it, or sold it because (s)he didn't like it, or both.

Edited by Avant on 03/09/2009 at 23:42

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - carl_a
I've never understood why people think new cars are so expensive compared to second hand ones. In many cases new cars are cheaper than second hand ones in real terms. I've never bought anything but new, when Hyundai are sellings new i30s for 9k, Mitsubishi were selling Colts for 6k why would anyone want "Nearly New" for fiesta for 9k, bonkers. Buy the right car new and it'll be great value, include the tax, won't need servicing, will have new brakes, tires, parts and recovery included. The only second hand deals I can see that may be worth considering is KIAs restore to full warranty.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Andrew-T
The nagging worry I have about nearly-new is that the first owner either caned it, or sold it because (s)he didn't like it, or both.

.. or it has been a rental/'management' car which has done its 6 months or reached its first service-due date. I did that last Christmas paying £9k instead of £14k list new. So far no reason to regret it. Of course it may go sour next month; but so might a new one. Most of the warranty still in force, and I don't expect to need it.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - boxsterboy
But there is a case for buying new provided that it's something that holds
its value well (e.g. most German cars and especisally the MINI). >>

I do not agree that German cars hold their value well. I bought my Mercedes (E320CDI Estate) from a Merc dealer at 3 years/52,000 miles old and paid approx. a third of its new list price. A retained value of 33% at 3 years - hardly good for the previous owner (although I'm not complaining!)

I would entertain buying new or second-hand - it all depends on what the prices for either are at any given time. Some second hand prices make buying a discounted (same model) car new a no-brainer.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - CGNorwich
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new?

No Paul - You simply have to have the money, otherwise you have to make do with secondhand.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Altea Ego
And if no-one bought brand new, you wouldnt have any second hand cars to buy.

In fact in pretty short order there would be no cars at all cos all the makers would be bust.

So dont label us people who have new cars as thick, thats rather like biting the hand that feeds you.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - schneip
No Paul - You simply have to have the money otherwise you have to make
do with secondhand.

I'm hoping the above was a flippant response to a bit of an upfront worded question!! ;)

Last August I 'made do' with second hand despite having the money to buy brand new. Went the whole hog, bought a 3yr old BMW 320D through BMW Approved for what was £2K less than identical cars with similar mileages found on a nationwide BMW approved search over the course of some weeks. Cardiff dealer (having initially been surprised by the good price) duly had it brought in from the other dealer within the group and it arrived on 4 brand new Dunlop Sports with 28,000 genuine miles and the remainder of the original 5yrs/60,000 mile service pack that expires in March 2010. Plus new MOT of course, and guarantee of pass next time around.

Rationale for purchase? Well, doesn't depreciation slow down after the first 3yrs? I also resent paying VAT on a new car purchase (higher price, so more VAT revenue) and the first year depreciation. However long I intend to own a car, who's clairvoyant enough to know their new pride and joy isn't a 'Friday car'? You may wish to get rid within a matter of months. Plus, I got the benefit of piece of mind: I purchased a decent product backed up by a one year unlimited mileage warrenty. It's also great fuel economy combined with decent performance and the remaining free servicing. Plus it makes me feel good: I love how it drives, as well as looks. All this, safe in the knowledge I've got in excess of £10,000 sat in my bank account that could have gone on another product if I bought brand new.

..... OR, another option might have been to spend a similar amount on a brand new Fiesta ;)
Thank you Schniep

Th Merc I bought had well over 2 years MB guarantee - she will be easy to sell as colour is black, I'm the only driver, smoke free, and ill sell when there is still about 2/3 months full MB warranty left - a great piece of mind for the buyer.

No Paul - You simply have to have the money otherwise you have to make
do with second-hand.

I have money.
I've lost loads of money as well via buying cars.
I forgot that in 1998, I bought my first brand new car. A ford Mondeo Ghia, V6. It was in Panther black, always wanted a black car. It had all the toys, air con, sun roof, side airbags (yes, a special order, big thing those days) remote radio and cd - 225 special wheels - sports grill)

From memory, RRP was approx 24k forthe whole thing - got 2 or 3 years 0% interest, a Ford discount as an uncle worked a Fords Dagenham, and a £1500 cash back from Barclay card = total cost of cr, 15k - sold 6 years later iv A1 condition for 2k (should have kept her.

I would not buy new again unless we wov the 1 mill premium bonds.

When I buy used - from main dealer, hard bargaining, I walk away, they call back - get years road tax, free next service, full tank of petrol, always and it has to be a lot less than the price of a rand new car but also be in ike brand new condition - makes sense to me
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - L'escargot
If you buy brand new and with your chosen factory fitted options you can get exactly the specification you want. There's more to owning a car than the purchase price.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - mlj
It all depends what you want to buy. As a person that has to fund car purchase from my own pocket, value for money is pretty high up the agenda. For example, I bought a Toyota Avensis in 2002. Pre-reg with 17 miles on the clock. Saved £4K on list. Two years ago when we needed something MPVish, we looked at lots of nearly new zafiras, Versos, Scenics, etc.
Ended up buying a Berlingo brand new. It served our purpose better than any of the others, and, even with £1K of extras (aircon, met) it cost about £1.5 less than the Zafiras we were looking at and considerably less than the Versos. No regrets since. Could I have bought a Berlingo at 6 to 12 months old in the spec I wanted? Not a chance.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - alfatrike
my old folks have a berlingo multispce and love it. bought brand new in france where they live. we had a pug partner(same van) before they went and that was pretty good too.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Cliff Pope
There's more to owning a car than the purchase price.

And as with houses, the most important thing is to make sure your friends know it. ;)
With used cars you have to take into account the mileage in relation to the age. I bought a 4 month old car which had only done 8000 miles, on the basis that it was a low age and a low mileage. However, I didn't take into account that it had done 24,000 miles per year. When I came to sell it, it was still a high mileage for its age and the part exchange value was consequently lower than if it had done an average mileage for its age.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/09/2009 at 08:17

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Roly93
I dont think there is a yes/no answer to this.

Normally I would say yes, but when I bought my A4 Estate a couple of years ago, there was so little saving (less than £1000) in buying a used <9 month old model, I bought new. However on other cars such as Fords etc, there are significant savings on nearly new models I think.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - daveyjp
It does depend on the marque. Ex demo BMW, Audis, MB are sold at almost list price, you pay for not having to wait for it.

The problem with these cars is the options list runs into pages and many items which are standard on even superminis are still options on more expensive cars, so finding one with the spec you are happy with can be a lengthy process.

As someone has mentioned choose the right car and you can save buying a new one. Our Aygo was £7k from a broker almost three years ago. I have seen similar aged ones with higher mileage on main dealer forecourts for £6k.

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - ifithelps
Depends on the car and on market conditions.

When I bought the Focus hatchback in 2002, pre-reg three months old seemed the way to go.

Looking for the CC3 this year, it was a choice of heavily-discounted new, or a limited number of secondhand, some of which were marked up at more than the discounted new price.

So you don't have to be thick to buy brand new, but you probably have to be not terribly bright to ask the question.

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - pmh3
>>>So you don't have to be thick to buy brand new, but you probably have to be not terribly bright to ask the question.<<<

Definitely my first big smile of the morning!
I dont think there is a yes/no answer to this.
Normally I would say yes but when I bought my A4 Estate a couple of
years ago there was so little saving (less than £1000) in buying a used > month old model I bought new. However on other cars such as Fords etc there
are significant savings on nearly new models I think.

a rare evevt, but if i was buying a 25/30k new price & was only a couple of k's less hen a few months old - I'd buy ne - but look at my example of the merc i bought
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - jbif
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? >>

paul2007:
Do you know of a factory that makes non-brand-new cars? Where do you think 2nd hand cars come from?

I agree with Altea Ego's reply.

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - daveyjp
"So you don't have to be thick to buy brand new, but you probably have to be not terribly bright to ask the question."

Nearly choked on my coffee with that one!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - retgwte
depends on the price

to assume new cars are always a bad deal is a mistake
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - perro
I'm with Paul on this one,
My last 3 cars have been almost new very low mileage jobs and there is no way I would even 'con'sider buying new.
New cars are still way overpriced and we all should know by now what the chancellor does with all that luvly tax money he rake's in on them!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - NowWheels
People who buy a new private car aren't thick -- but in some cases they are being very generous to others.

Some models hold their values very well, but most mass-market cars are sold to private buyers at a price way above those available to fleets. When the fleets (particularly hire fleets) unload the 12,000mile cars they bought at a massive discount, they can turn a profit on the vehicles and still sell them for way below the new price. People who buy that sort of car new are paying a huge premium over the price of a 1-yo vehicle, and help to depress the value of 1-yo s/h cars.

For example, in January I bought for a friend a 9-month-old 12,000-mile Vectra estate for £7,000. List price new was about £18,000, and a new one could have been bought through brokers for I guess about £14,000.

So the private buyers who bought new helped ensure that I could get a real bargain: a large, comfortable, reliable motorway cruiser which still had most of the warranty in place but had already been run in and cost about half what I'd paid new through a broker. Thanks, folks!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - k9dan
I did the low mileage almost new thing in May this year, was supposed to have been a
management car, in reality was ex-hire. To top it off was crash repaired big time. returned it next day, then had a 10 week fight trying to have money refunded. Saw good scrappage deal from Skoda, managed to convert money from original sale into new Octavia, and saved £3500. So Im getting a new car for the price of one 12-18 month old, fully warrantied, no repairs (please don't drop it off the transporter), guaranteed not to have been misfueled, will have the proper VAG spec 507.0 engine oil, and it will be run in correctly according to the advice on this site. For me it was a no brainer.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Waino
Where did you find your Skoda deal, please, Dan?
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - k9dan
It's direct from Skoda UK, it is only on the 1.9 PD engine cars, the others are £2500 off. I wanted the PD engine as it gets a good write up from them in the know, on this site.
Thanks. My mate has a 1.9PD Octavia. It is as reliable as a brick and uses about as much fuel ;-)
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - BobbyG
I think the issue here is not so much whether its brand new or not, its about the overall best deal for that type of car.

I bought 3 Scenics, all at 6 months old that were ex management (of the dealer) cars. Possibly used for test drives etc but I got a good dramatic saving on the new list price. I also got a car that I wouldn't have been able to afford if it was list price.

However when I got my SEAT, I got it brand new but still got something like a £3k saving on it. Something to do with the dealer meeting SEAT targets. In fact I got it cheaper than another dealer was wanting to sell me a 6 month old, identical car for.

My sister was recently looking for an AYGO/C1/107 and the used value of these is extremely high, in some cases with the Aygo, we were seeing used ones dearer than new. I believe this is also the case for some of the small Hyundais due to the scrappage scheme demand.

I am all in favour of someone else taking the hit on the new cost, but in reality, let's face it, the manufacturers know the pattern of car sales. They know that if they release a new Mondeo, x% will go to fleets at y% discount, some will go to private buyers, these fleet cars will then come back onto the market at x years etc etc, the car parts and servicing costs will be done in such a way that they reclaim money somehow or other.

I think the benefit of 3 year (and in some cases 5year) warranty takes away the old requirement for buying new so that you had a year's cover for any problems with it. Buy at a year old and you still have 2 years warranty.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - julie page
Is it not true that most new cars are company cars or bought by people who are self employed and can write off depreciation against tax

My sister's Alfa came from Avis and my Mazda came from a bankruptcy

However looking for a replacement car now and a broker can supply e a new Audi A4 2.0 for less that is being sold in a car supermarket - although I changed my mind on the Audi

Edited by julie page on 04/09/2009 at 12:11

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - turbo11
.*********
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - turbo11
No, just as you aren't poor if you buy secondhand.I have bought five new cars over the years and the same number secondhand. Only two I regretted buying and they were both secondhand. It comes down to money. A multi millionaire friend of mine spent £400K on new cars last year alone.He will buy a 612 Scaglietti, keep it for 18 months then chop it in for a 599.same with M3's,M5's,Porches. Depreciation means nothing to him. Lucky so and so.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Gromit {P}
Bear in mind it's not just a question of 'prestige' vs 'mass manufacturer' marques as to whether you can find a nearly-new car to buy.

You'll typically find 6-12 month old Fords or Vauxhauls, for example, because as mentioned above fleets sell them off or dealers turn over demo cars regularly.

Trying to find a 6 month old Subaru will be harder. They tend to be private sales, so buyers keep them longer. In Ireland at least, the same goes for Toyotas, Skodas and Kias which also tend to be preferred by private buyers over fleets (I guess they're selling enough of them brand new that they don't need to offer fleet discounts to sell volume).

Also bear in mind that some brands 'launder' cars through the fleets to reduce actual asking prices on the forecourt without affecting list prices, which depresses second hand values. It often happens with end-of-model cars.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - nick
On the same logic, we'd all buy our clothes from charity shops. So much cheaper. Or washing machines from the local freeads. But we don't.
If you have the money, buying new is great. You get the car you want and know it's not been abused.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - SpamCan61 {P}
If you have the money buying new is great. You get the car you want
and know it's not been abused.

Although it could've been sitting on an old airfield for 2 years of course...

Or the delivery driver thrashed it from cold.
Although it could've been sitting on an old airfield for 2 years of course...

Not if it's a direct from the factory order with factory fitted options. You only need to specify one cheap factory fitted option to make it a direct from the factory order.
Or the delivery driver thrashed it from cold.

Most mainstream cars bought from large dealerships are delivered on a transporter.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - whoopwhoop
Plenty of low-mileage/ex-managers/nearly new cars actually start off as company/hire/fleet/loan cars.

I've seen how colleagues treat them - one chap cooked a brand new Ford Focus hire car - engine temperature was off the scale and the discs and exhaust manifold was glowing red hot! The same car was on sale a couple of months later with 4,000 miles on the clock as an "ex-managers car"!

Another chap had a Mondeo. Apparently he "accidentally" did a high speed down-change into second and the rev counter needle went off the scale and stuck vertically down. Again that ended up being sold as a Ford Direct ex managers car.

And it's for that reason, that I will never buy a "nearly new" car. I've seen how some people rag them!

If one day I am unfortunate enough not to be able to buy new, I will jump to 3-4 year old cars. At least that way I'm paying a relatively low price for the associated risk.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Armstrong Sid
I've only ever bought new once, but I think I did well financially out of it.

It was in Dec 1999 and I had a new Focus from a well-known Car Supermarket. It cost me about £9,500 (can't remember exactly). If I had bought the same thing from a Ford dealer at the time it would've been at least £11,500.

I kept it 6 years, my longest ever, it was very reliable, and I sold it to a friend for £3,500, who still has it.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - diddy1234
There are incentives for buying new.

case example 1
Brand new Vauxhall Insignia comes out and on Vauxhall's web site you could buy a brand new Vectra for £7K (same price as a Corsa)

another example would be a new car that is already cheap like a Korean makes.
If the car lasts long enough then does it really matter what value its lost in the first year or even come to think of it in its life time ?

Afterall, these people paid 1/2 the value of an equivalent VW when new.

Most people that used to buy Lada's and these days Hyundai, Kia's tend to keep them long term and then expect the value to be peanuts when part exchanged several years later.

Edited by diddy1234 on 04/09/2009 at 15:42

>>>Although it could've been sitting on an old airfield for 2 years of course...
Or the delivery driver thrashed it from cold.<<<

Or it could be a Friday afternoon car :(
Or it could be a Friday afternoon car :(

There's no such thing. Parts and sub-assemblies of a car are made on all sorts of days at all sorts of different locations and it's only the final asembly that could take place on a Friday. In any case, there is strict inspection and quality control of all parts and sub-assemblies, and of the completed car, at all stages in the process.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - schneip
>> Or it could be a Friday afternoon car :(
>>
There's no such thing.

:( from my immediate family:

1986 (brand new) Fiat Uno 45s: Lemon
1988 (brand new) Citroen BX16RS: Lemon
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.4LX (bought at 10months): Lemon
1995 Renault 5 Campus (bought at 3yrs): Lemon
2002 Ford Fiesta: Lemon (x2 brand new, both rejected---> refund)

Objectively, sure, I'm positive quality overall should have improved. In practice? I'm not so sure you can't still get a 'Friday car'. Besides, has that much changed since 2002 in terms of quality checks?
You've really just commented on my last sentence which I now realise was controversial. It would have been better if I hadn't written that sentence. The point I wanted to make was that there isn't a percentage of cars which are of lower quality than the rest because they were manufactured on a Friday afternoon when the workers just wanted to get off home for the weekend.
>>> There's no such thing. Parts and sub-assemblies of a car are made on all sorts of days at all sorts of different locations and it's only the final asembly that could take place on a Friday <<<

Perhaps I'm harking back to the days of Red Robbo comrade :-D
I'm not your comrade!
;-D
com·rade (kŏm'rād', -rəd)
noun.
A person who shares one's interests or activities; a friend or companion.
often Comrade A fellow member of a group :)
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - julie page
For me its more of a lifestyle choice. I would rather have a better secondhand car then a new one but not as good model car. Do nyone know what I mean???
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - MVP
I bought a new suit a few months ago, and when I asked the shop how much they would give me for it now they said £5

I'm not going to buy another new suit from them, i'll ask to buy a second hand one for £5 next tine :)

MVP
When we bought the misses Sirion brand new, it was £2k off list price. For what that car cost us now, I could buy an identical car for the same money used with 2-5000 miles on it, so why exactly would I have been better off with a secondhand car for the same money as a new one? Id say you would have to be pretty thick to do that.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - cilvilservant
It doesn't make people thick if they work and save hard to indulge in the satisfaction of buying a brand new car.

There are home buyers who only like to buy brand new homes (normally at a premium) as that's their preference.

Not everyone worries about paying extra to satisfy their preferences.

On the other hand, some people take great glee in buying second hand and saving themselves a few ££££s.

But it is evident that one type of buyer couldn't manage without the other.
I quite fancy trying a diesel but, after all the stories of misfueling, I am tempted to chop the old Mondeo in on scrappage for a new PD Octavia. My head would normally tell me to go the second-hand route.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - retgwte
I sometimes get new, sometimes get almost new prereg or similar, or even up to 6 months old

I have bought the odd older car

I think folk who are dead set against a brand new car should do a bit more research, for some cars some years a new one can be got so cheap it would be madness to get a 2nd hand one

I've had many a new car, and of course I wouldnt pay list, or anywhere near normal retail, the trick is finding out how to get a good deal, it helps if you are prepared to put some time into looking around for the best deal

So it all depends

The missus has a car thats 1.5 years old which is worth now what we paid for it brand new, it also helps if you can spot the cars where such trends are likely

Be a bit more open minded folk
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Pat L
Like some posters have already mentioned it depends on the car and the situation. I bought my first ever new car in 2000. At an Audi dealer I test drove an A4 TDi and liked it. So I said I want to order a new one. Dealer said it would take at least 2 months for new one, I said that's ok i'm in no rush. (it was May and I was willing to wait for the new X reg). Dealer said I could buy the demonstrator, which was a V reg with 8k miles. He didn't seem interested in me ordering a new one, so I went to another dealer and got my X reg for £200 less than the first dealer wanted for the V reg ex-demo (only extra this had over mine was metallic paint).
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Pica
I recently bought a New Accord Diesel auto because I could not find a used one cheaper than the deal the Honda dealer was offering.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Miller
Sometimes buying new is a no brainer though. This time last year my old Mondeo was going to cost money to get through its MOT, I was looking to downsize anyway so I had a look to see if any small hatchbacks were on offer.

Renault were selling off the last of their old shape Clios for 6k at the time. So I chopped in my Mondeo for one. When I took into account the savings on Petrol, Tax, Ins, no repair costs for 3 years....I was basically driving a new car for an outlay of about £100 a month.

OK, so it has no air-con and only 2 airbags, but I am sure it will do its job for years to come before I pass it on to the daughter.
OK so it has no air-con and only 2 airbags but I am sure it
will do its job for years to come before I pass it on to the
daughter.

There are many gadgets in a car which are nice-to-have, such as electric windows, radio/CD player, sunroof, airbags, etc ... but aircon is now on my must-have list.

Maybe it's because I always seem to live in damp places (currently 1200ft up in the Pennines), but every car I have owned before used to get misted up on damp days, and then take ages to clear. Meanwhile, I'd be driving around wiping the inside of the screen with an inevitably less-than-clean cloth, hoping I could see what was going on outside.

With aircon, demisting is a quick and simple job. Since being able to see where you are going is a rather important part of driving, I rate aircon as an essential.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Alby Back
I absolutely agree with you NW ( Crikey! )

;-)

I keep trying to do without my aircon to save a bob or two but ultimately, as you quite rightly point out, when one chooses to live or drive in damp places it is indeed a godsend.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - quizman
When I was looking for a Golf 18 months ago I found a 6 month old, 10,000mile used one, probably ex rental, for £14,750 which was not taxed.

I bought a brand new identical car from Carfile for £14,500 on the road, including a full tank of diesel and a free first service.

I think I would be seriously thick not to buy new. Any comments OP?
>>>I would rather have a better secondhand car then a new one but not as good model car. Do nyone know what I mean???<<<

Exactly! I'd rather drive a 2nd hand BMW than say a new Focus, or I'd rather drive a 2nd hand Focus than a new Corsa etc., etc., etc.
Good point Perro.
I'd rather drive a 2nd hand BMW than say a new Focus or I'd
rather drive a 2nd hand Focus than a new Corsa etc. etc. etc.

I'd rather drive a s/h Focus than any sort of BMW, new or unused.

But, chacun à son goût, as they says in the Pays de Citroën. :)
I would rather have a better secondhand car than a new one ...

I would rather have any car that doesn't have the plasticky smell of a new one. I make sure when I buy my used car that the seller doesn't try to make it smell artificially NEW.
I'm with Paul on this one
My last 3 cars have been almost new very low mileage jobs and there is
no way I would even 'con'sider buying new.
New cars are still way overpriced and we all should know by now what the
chancellor does with all that luvly tax money he rake's in on them!

Thank you.
Back in the middle ages Paul, I did buy new - from a certain VW dealer down the ole kent rd.
At the time VW were offering a 24 hr test drive and I took them up on said offer.
I then negotiated the best possible price for a new Transporter - a nice one with the 2.1 fuel inj. engine + autotrans ...
Then I went home and phoned every VW dealer within say 100 miles - got the price down, down deeper than down, went back to the ole kent rd., told him the price I'd managed to wangle and he said, oh well, we'll have to match it then - to keep it local :)
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - cuthbert
Just to add my opinion to the mix !! you pays your money you make your choice .

To be honest every car I have purchased over the last 10 years have been new !! not because I am stupid but because the deal that I negotiate is just about what I would pay for a 6 month demonstrator that has been driven by god know who .So what would you buy for the same money a six month old car or a new one

If a dealer will not play ball I just go to a car broker !! also many of the manufacturers offer incentives for customers this is usually on top of what you have negotiated with your dealer .

It is impossible to say someone is stupid to buy new just as its impossible to say you are stupid to buy second-hand ! it all boils down to the deal that is on the table at the time you want to change .

One thing is certain new or used you will lose money on your car ???
Whilst I'm not denying that massive depreciation exists, I believe it is often overstated - particularly for certain makes - because 'list price' is used as the basis for the initial cost.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - gordonbennet
Sometimes you can buy cheaper new, we did when we bought the pick up.

Another misfuelling thread running currently, i for one am uncertain about buying a used Diesel any more, in fact i probably won't unless the vehicle is so cheap as to make the gamble worth while.

Rental and pool cars are prone to misfuelling, even those that become carefully driven ex management cars when retailed.;)

The figures look promising for buying nearly new, but there's more to life than counting costs.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - whoopwhoop
"Rental and pool cars are prone to misfuelling, even those that become carefully driven ex management cars when retailed.;)"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cutberth, I did not mean it literally.
from parkers.co.uk

==============

Citroën C8 (03 on)
1. 2.2 HDi 16V Exclusive 5d Auto ((Top Model)
2. 2008/08 ((1 year old))
3. Average mileage: 10,000 miles

No options selected
Original Price £28,105 Help
Franchised Dealer £14,575
Independent Dealer £13,830
Private Good £13,090
Private Poor £11,115
Part Exchange £12,10 (((Shocking)))))

==================

there are thousands of more worse examples than this.

50% from a franchised dealer, plus you could negotiate - where is the sense in buying new?

Edited by paul2007 on 04/09/2009 at 22:02

This is incredible = Autoquake agrees with me = LOL

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=7349
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - loskie
no one pays list price for any car if they have any sense. Least of all a Citroen.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Bromptonaut
But did anybody ever pay £28k list for a C8?

Don't know how much the scrappage do da has changed things but for years Cit offered all sorts of cash backs and finance deals. We got about £2grand cashback from the "list" of our pretty basic Berlingo in 04 and much the same on a Xantia in 2000. And that was before anything else was negotiaited.

Both times we might have driven a better deal on a s/h model but there was nothing "thick" in the calcualtion that the extra cost spread over the 10yrs we would keep them both was worth it for the re-assurance of the warranty and the pleasure of starting with it unmarked and smelling factory fresh.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 04/09/2009 at 22:59

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Pugugly
No.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Graham567
In 2007 i went to look at a year old Vectra(06) plate with 8,000 miles on the clock.It was up for sale at the main dealers for £9,995.When i went to find the salesman in the showroom they had brand new ones for sale at £11,495.After a bit of haggling i ended up paying £10,995 for it.

So for an extra £1000 i got a brand new one with 0 miles on the clock,was able to choose my colour,i knew it hadn't been hammered and i got the full 3 years warranty.
So as far as i was concerned it was a no brainer.New all the way for me!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Harleyman
I always swore I'd never buy a new car. However, the scrappage scheme came just in time for us; wifey's Punto is on its last legs, the Coupe is getting prohibitively more expensive to tax and the lure of a new i10 with five years warranty, cheap tax and better fuel mileage than my Harley was irresistable.

I would never buy a new Harley though. Quite apart from the fact that the initial depreciation is high, modern ones require so much in the way of aftermarket performance modifications to give them even a modicum of performance that it's far cheaper to wait for the rich posers to get bored with theirs and buy second-hand, often with minimal mileage and the mods all done for you.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - ifithelps
One of the joys of buying a (new) CC3:

Being able to listen to a Harley as it burbled past me on the A1(M) the other day.

It was bowling along at about 75mph and seemed ever so stable - the pillion passenger looked like she didn't have a care in the world.

Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Harleyman
I thank you, sir! :-)
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - boxsterboy
But did anybody ever pay £28k list for a C8?

Of course not. When we boughth our C8 new (1 year after the model was launched) we got £5,000 off the list price of £25,000. No-one in their right mind pays list for any new car.
>>>One thing is certain new or used you will lose money on your car<<<

Not if you buy a classic or a vintage car - with care!
>>>It is impossible to say someone is stupid to buy new just as its impossible to say you are stupid to buy second-hand<<<

Mayhap the thread could have been better titled such as "Do you have to be thick to buy brand new?
Obviously no Honest Johnny's (can I say that?) would pay the full asking for their new car, but I bet there's some dude's who pay 'through the nose'
I wouldn't mind betting the full retail price is set high for you to bid low anyway - its all a game innit, so play to win!
Post script ... Cash 4 Clunkers ends in 5 months
post post script ... VAT returns to 17.5% in Dec., so get your Korean car NOW!
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - movilogo
I never bought a brand new car simply because I could never afford one!

I admire them who buy brand new cars & then sell afterwards at a much cheaper price. Otherwise I would not have got a car by now.

Not all people have same attitude towards life and money. If it were the case, the world would have been a very boring place.

Its very true that the list price really only counts for cars that are either is high demand or are low volume. Its is indeed just a starting point and the game of how much can I squeeze the seller is part of an clued up car buyers game.

I recently did the same with a house purchase. Price was £139koriginally, I offered £121k, this was rejected, but I got it for £123k, its just another example of 'dont believe you cant haggle hard when buying'. I know people dont think its polite, but you never see these people again, so you can make them cry, so long as you get the price right down.
New cars tend to be linked into manufacturer targets, so they forgo their margin in order to meet the bonus from the manufacturer, making it cheap for the buyer, but the dealer still makes their money from it. If you buy from the right dealer who operates this way, a new car really can be cheaper than a used one.
My mums Hyundai was bought this way. She got about £2500 off without any effort because the dealer handles volume and openly admitted the bonuses were where they made the money. Essentially they sell it as a win-win situation for the both of you.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - colino
God bless the people who buy their cars new.
They sort out those annoying niggles under warranty.
They weep at the first "Tesco Tickle."
They run in the car through that oil and petrol gulping phase.
They take the hit on depreciation.
They give me nice clean stock.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Pugugly
......They move on unreliable lemons.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - johncyprus
There are brilliant deals around subject to the state of the economy: it was possible to buy a C1 for less than £6k before the scrappage scheme was introduced. It will be interesting to see what deals will be around when the scrappage fund is exhausted.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - davecuk
Nope you just have to be thick to not realise when buying brand new is better than second hand. Everyone's situation and needs are different, so the purchase decision is made around those needs at the time. If a new car has a cheaper cost of ownership than the second hand one.......then it's a good move to buy new.

My mother wanted a small car, that would be reliable, low mileage, cheap to maintain yada yada..Went to a seat dealer to look at the Ibiza. Ex Demo with 9,800 miles and the odd scuff, was only £800 cheaper than a new one, bought on the Internet not from the dealer (dealer wouldn't go any lower on price for the S/H car). The new car also had a whole load of stuff on it the S/H one didn't (e.g. low profile alloys, cruise control, climate control etc.. etc.., had 1 year more warranty 1 year free RAC cover, 1 year road tax, full tank of fuel, 1 year less wear on the tyres, 1 extra year before MOT required,was the colour my mum wanted and had no marks on the body work or interior....we would have had to be thick to buy the used car.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Pat L
davecuk - your example beautifully illustrates the new v ex-demo argument. The 'savings' that most people quote (inc dealers, of course) are in relation to the list price. The real saving is usually much less and when other factors are taken into account (and don't lets forget residual value) may not be a saving at all.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - ukbeefy
well looking at the OP's original question alot of the answers seem to be comparing a new purchase with a purchase of an ex demo or very nearly new car. Some of the comparisons seem to be being made between a price seen for a an ex demo or nearly new car and a bargained price for a new one so it's not quite apples and apples as I presume there would be bargaining to be had on the used option to strictly compare like with like.

I think to me there is a certain madness or irrationality to buying a new car we all know that in 2-3 years time it will be worth alot less as all cars depreciate - some alarmingly so. In terms of total cost over say a 10 year period a person buying a new car say every 2-3 years will burn through an amazing amount of money compared to say someone buying his 2-3 year old car each time. It always amazes me there are people out there in normal jobs (ie non city type) paying taxes, mortgages and holidays that can actually afford to be in the new car market shelling out 15k every 2-3 years. That to me is the thing that is hard to fathom...where are they getting 15 grand from every 2 years from taxed income as well as paying for everything else in life..wish I knew..for the rest of us it would be second hand all the way.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - CGNorwich
shelling out 15k every 2-3 years.

You are only surely paying out say 7,000 every 3 years by the time you take into account the trade in value. so you have a cost of 8,000 spread over 3 years or £222 per month.

Appreciate it depends on how much you earn but that doesn't seem a huge figure for the benefit of having a new car every 3 years and the peace of mind in knowing you won't have any huge unexpected bills.

For comparison I estimate the price of buying 20 cigarettes and 1 pint of beer each day equals something like 240 per month

shelling out 15k every 2-3 years.
You are only surely paying out say 7 000 every 3 years by the time
you take into account the trade in value. so you have a cost of 8
000 spread over 3 years or £222 per month.

Not quite.

A car which costs £15k new will not be traded in for £8K after three years -- it will be worth about £5K in part exchange. So that's £10K over 3 years (£3,333 pa), plus whatever interest you are paying on the loan.

OTOH, buy a 1yo car for £7K, keep it for five years and sell it for £2K -- that's only £5K over five years, or £1,000 a year.

Since most people seem to buy cars on finance, the difference will probably be over £2,500 a year. Added up over a decade, £25K is enough to pay off the mortgage years early, build a kitchen extension, or put a child through university without them needing a student loan.

I'm amazed that so many British people place a shiny car as a higher priority than all the other things they can do with the money. Changing every three years made sense when cars rusted away in no time, but most modern cars have ten years of life in them without causing much trouble.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - ukbeefy
Well I was meaning the people on here who do talk of buying a 20-30K+ car out of their own money and I presume are selling a car with a trade in value say of max 8-10K so that is 12-22K + every 3 years...plus the insurance/servicing etc side cost. I know some are doing fiddles/benefits with getting alot of business mileage paid for or putting such cars through a business and writing off the cost against tax but for ordinary joes who cannot pull off such things it's alot of money to me to shell out so regularly. I suppose some people either earn alot more money than I realise or they are scrimping elsewhere eg on pensions or saving and running much closer to zero at the end of each month. Each to their own I suppose.
As I mentioned a bit down the thread - i bought a very expensive brand new Ford Mondeo 6 Ghia in 98 I agree that a brand new car made me feel good - even with the masses of ford employee discount via a relative & Barclay 1500 quid off, th car was only worht 2k 6 years later with around, just under 40k and still looked new.

I inter to spevd about 25 - 20k max on my next car, but it won;t be brand new but up to a year ld - less thav 10k on the miles - A1 condition, current model avd a model that still has a few years to run, avd at least 2 years manufactures warranty - l will be looking for a 33% discount on rrp inc extras - most like a merc, Q7, Range Rover Sport 0r a Jeep Hemi (will save loads on the hemi Jeep)

EG, a new ford fiesta - difficult to get a decevt discount as model is new - but wait a few more months, discount on new and used.

Our sov bought 5 brand new Ford Ka's via uncle Ford discouvt & free ivsuravce - that was worth it as he'd jst turned 18 when he got his first car and it was bravdvew with free ivs - so made sense.

My sister bought a brand vew bently about 18 months ago for approx 130k+ - with 25k on he clock - px is 55k

BTW, my sisters Bentley is in pristine condition - even she feels that she should have bought a year old..........but she's got more money than sense. 70k down the drain over 18 months plus the service charges.

I though about buying they car to hire out - but the credit crunch and competition in this field stopped me.

Edited by paul2007 on 05/09/2009 at 20:26

over 18 months plus the service charges.

Go on Paul tell us how much the services are, my MB indy looks after a vintage car for a chap who owns a new B, the service bills are pure music hall, and the hourly rate quoted incredible..those B mechs must be on some wedge..;)
>> over 18 months plus the service charges.
>>
Go on Paul tell us how much the services are my MB indy looks after
a vintage car for a chap who owns a new B the service bills are
pure music hall and the hourly rate quoted incredible..those B mechs must be on some
wedge..;)

I will be paying approx 580 for a standard B sevice at 15k miles on my c class. not sure what Bentley charges, but I remember sis saying it was about 1k for a standard service.

I would not go to a 'indy' hen y car is under warrant, just iv case
not sure what Bentley charges but I remember sis saying it was
about 1k for a standard service.

That sounds about right for an oil change and check over, his bills usually come in around the 2K mark unless there's a fair bit to do.
Mind you some MB dealer bills can be eye watering especially when the AMG or 55 labels get waved over the invoice printer..;)

I agree with you about sticking with the dealer for servicing whilst warranty is in force, in some dealer's cases it's probably worth carrying on for some time after too, as some makes seem to value their customers...some it would appear don't.
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I will be paying approx 580 for a standard B sevice at 15k miles on
my c class.

Would it be an unfair question to ask "Do you have to be thick to buy a car on which a routine 15k service costs £580?" ;-)
>>>Would it be an unfair question to ask "Do you have to be thick to buy a car on which a routine 15k service costs £580?" ;-)<<<

£600 buys a fair mota down here in Cornwall :)
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Bill Payer
I will be paying approx 580 for a standard B sevice at 15k miles on
my c class.

If it's just the basic B service, which is nothing more than oil & filter, pollen filter and some detailed (they should take the wheels off) checks, then £580 is bonkers.

Most dealers advertise much lower prices, typically around the £300 mark. Look on the dealers' website. Mercedes Leicester is a good example, www.mercedes-benzofleicester.co.uk then go to "AfterSales" then "Fixed Price Servicing".

Cheers
Bill Payer
My sister bought a brand vew bently about 18 months ago for approx 130k+ -
with 25k on he clock - px is 55k

Did it have special picture windows to improve the vew? Or was it a convertible?
it was the bog stavdard flying spur i think - i was with her the day we picked up the car - she had special wheels, tales ad fridge to rear - tv's, special sound system - I remember her signing the paperwork - sure it was 130k - rrp for base was about 117k, no discounts at that time. (she als had bullet resistavt glass - to fend of would b car-jackers & security tv.)

Her husbavd drives the Arrnage version i think its called and they paid about 190 new for that the year before avd sold he a few months ago - but not sure for how much
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - alex823
I think theres definately situations where its just as good to buy new. A new car is not always that much more expensive that a 1 year old one when you factor in any discounts, finance deals etc you might get on a new car.

Also I never understand why people think they have made a "saving" by buying used. Yes its cheaper, but its cheaper as its a used product. A three year old car has three years worth of use and is three years closer to being knackered.

Thats not to say buying used is bad - my next car will probably be used but you get what you pay for and a used product is obviously worth less than a new one.

Is it also stupid buying a new fridge or a new pair of shoes. After all they are both virtually worthless the minute you walk out of the shop with them?
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Tornadorot
Our sov bought 5 brand new Ford Ka's via uncle Ford discouvt & free ivsuravce
- that was worth it as he'd jst turned 18 when he got his first
car and it was bravdvew with free ivs - so made sense.

Has your keyboard got an extra 'V' key instead of an 'N'???
always got mixed up with that
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Slightlyfatdirector
In our company we always bought nearly-new company cars for our staff. Normally 12 month old, 10k miles cars. A few years ago for £12k you could get a Mondeo Ghia X estate that had listed at £25k a year earlier.

I then bought a new Volvo S60 back in 2005 as I got a massive saving of over 25% off list which was cheaper than any nearly new version I could find.

I then replaced this with a 520d touring which I also got a discount on that made a new car exactly to my spec cheaper than a 1 year old version with whatever spec was there.

I recently bought a new member of staff a £22,000 new Mondeo Zetec Diesel hatchback for £16k when car supermarkets had 1 year old 10k mile cars for just under £14k. I thought a £2k premium for the newer reg, extra years warranty and knowing that it had not been abused was money well spent.

A colleague has just been offered a new Volvo S40 with over 25% off from a dealer to be built to her spec. New one (2.0 diesel automatic, parking sensors, etc) for £15,000.

Sometimes nearly new is good, sometimes better deals are out there for new.

One thing is certain new or used you will lose money on your car .

Not if you buy a classic or a vintage car - with care!

I just sold on my 205 GTI after 3 years - got exactly what I paid for it (4 figs). It's not a vintage, so it must be a classic?
>>>I just sold on my 205 GTI after 3 years - got exactly what I paid for it (4 figs). It's not a vintage, so it must be a classic?<<<

Well comrade - it's a classic in my way of thinking, and always will be!

>>>No perro, new cars are about as cheap in 'real terms' as ever<<<

Cars are expensive in blighty, compared to say Denmark, Belgium, Holland etc ... £1000's in some cases :(
Do you have to be thick to buy brand new? - Brian Tryzers
Cars are expensive in blighty, compared to say Denmark, Belgium, Holland etc ... £1000's in some cases :(

Is that still true, even with the euro at 85p and the general reduction in prices here in the last ten years?
>>>Is that still true, even with the euro at 85p and the general reduction in prices here in the last ten years?<<<

87p if you please :) to be quite honest Beesty, if you're British, or even English like me, you were fitted with a handle at birth!
New cars are still way overpriced ...

No perro, new cars are about as cheap in 'real terms' as ever. But it is certainly true that there are plenty of cheaper cars around - presumably if there weren't, new ones might be dearer.