Millers diesel power ECOMAX - k9dan
Leading on from long term caretaking of new Octavia, would it be worthwhile running the car on this? It is the 1.9 105bhp PD engine, used it before on old Mondy never saw any difference, but would have needed a strip down to see if any cleaner inside. As all manufacurers, VAG do not recommend any fuel additives, but Millers is well respected in diesel circles. I normally use Shell fuel, and this would work out cheaper than their premium diesel. Or is it snake oil? I don't mind spending a little more if it helps the longevity of the car. I take it helps to lubricate fuel system, and keeps it clean(er). It's so new not on Millers site yet LOL's but saw it here first.
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - Old Navy
>>VAG do not recommend any fuel additives >>

Answered your own question.
I love this web site and the posters always guaranteed a straight answer, (still laughing old navy, and no rum in sight)
No rum? You have my condolences.

If it does any good, (did it in your Mondy?), it will be the next owner that benefits.
Avast, saw no different in power or mpg in Mondy, but it claims to keep injectors clean, and pump well lubricated. I intend to keep Octavia for at least 10 years, (managed to squeeze 14 years out of Galaxy it replaces, but not economical to repair-needs discs and pads all round, CV joint, Catalyst, 4 tyres, rear shockers, and it's running rough coil pack?) got £3500 from Skoda on scrappage so too good to miss really.
I thought injectors and pumps were designed to use a specific lubricant called diesel fuel. I have run diesels for 20 years without additives or injection problems, admittedly only to a max of 110K miles on any car. I dont think VAG will use fuel additives during durability testing. In your post above you say "it claimes to keep injectors clean" hardly proof.

Edited by Old Navy on 18/08/2009 at 15:42

Millers diesel power ECOMAX - oilrag
GB seems to be one of the forums leading advocates for Millers additives. He has likely already detected the presence of this new Millers thread - even though he is currently in his truck and not connected in any way to the internet.

Calling GB........YooooOOOOoooohOOOooo MILLERS!

;-)
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - andyfr
I have used Millers additives for many years. I now use it in brand new cars as soon as I take delivery. I first started to use it in a Land Rover Defender which would have failed the smoke test, after a couple of tank fulls it hardly smoked at all, was smoother and the MPG improved slightly.
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - 659FBE
The "fuel system" on a PD engine (or at least the bit of it that matters, ie the roller followers) is lubricated with stuff designed to do the job - engine oil. No Millers or any other snake oil would be able to reach it.

No additives whatsoever for me - follow VAG's recommendations and use fuel and oils to their spec exclusively. Spurious fuel additives are a particular risk where a DPF is fitted as ash build up can cause serious problems (hence 507.00 lubricating oil replacing 506.01).

I was thinking about the bits wetted by diesel fuel, injectors, pump etc, have read the internet and will only use shell 507.00 spec which is mega expensive, but also needed for long life. No DPF fitted in this engine, which is why I chose it.
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - jc2
Ford don't recommend any additives either!
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - gordonbennet
Oh goody, i'm back and some folks are attacking my beloved Millers...stop.

I don't really know for sure, i believe Millers to be a very respected company who have quite a following in general and especially motorsport where their oils are used a lot...maybe by people that have to buy their own as against sponsorship by big oil producers of well known teams?

I have used Millers DPS4 and it's predecessor DPS for many years, and i have yet to have a fuel or system related problem since using them.
I've seen photographic evidence on the net following tests conducted by some university the details of which i've mislaid, but some kind poster here produced for us a couple of years ago.

These tests showed the fuel injectors and their spray patterns (i think) following use of Millers for a few tank fulls, the injectors were much cleaner after use of.

Toyota don't recommend the use of it either, in fact i can't think of one maker that does....however it doesn't stop the dealer putting a tin of their own injector cleaner in at service time (and engine flush too), we have elastic goal posts with this subject.

I'll carry on with my own high service regime with the pick up which will include the long term use of Millers, i too am hoping for much longer than 10 years maybe double that if we're spared, so if the small expense involved helps only a little it's worth it.
I do buy the stuff by the 5 litre can by the way, works out a lot cheaper.

However if someone can prove that Millers is not doing what i think then i'm happy to study the proof.

What engine oil do you use GB?
What engine oil do you use GB?

Ah a sticking point at the moment, as you might have guessed i would be using Millers by choice either XFS 5W40 or XFD 5w40, both fully synthetic, the XFD being Diesel specific.

However after calling my Toyo dealer and asking whether they would mind if i provided my own oil and named it, they won't play ball, not specifically refusing but making it clear that they don't recommend.

So as the truck has another year's warranty to run, and i would expect them to put right any engine problem in the 4th year too, i'm stuck with using their own oil again.
Wonder what they'll make of the Fumoto?

2nd service (a big un) in 2 weeks time, oh the expense..;)

For my petrol MB, my mileage is such that it only needs an annual change now so i leave it to my MB indy at service/MOT time who uses Fuchs 5w40 fully synthetic.

When the pick up is out of warranty it will be either of the 2 above whichever i can get a bargain bulk buy on, i may even get my MB indy to take on the annual servicing of the truck then.

By the way my lad uses either 5w60 or 10w60 by Millers in his tortured Subaru, thats some serious viscosity range.
Millers diesel power ECOMAX - MGspannerman
"I have used Millers DPS4 and it's predecessor DPS for many years, and i have yet to have a fuel or system related problem since using them."

I have never used it in 40 years of driving all sorts of vehicles, and have never had a fuel or system related problem (apart from a crack in the fuel pump housing on the MG, but Araldite rather than Millers would have fixed that). However I have always used this fantastic anti-elephant aerosol and it works amazingly well. Never had an elephant problem since I started using it!

As for "However if someone can prove that Millers is not doing what i think". Well, you cant prove a negative, and anyway rationality is not much use when challenging belief.

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you never do have a fuel system problem. If you dont it will be as much due to luck as the Millers.

MGs
(apart from a crack in the
fuel pump housing on the MG but Araldite rather than Millers would have fixed that).

I'd like to see the repair to a Diesel injection pump with araldite.

Why the thinly veiled hostility to something you don't use?
"i can get a bargain bulk buy on"

I can remember having a 5 gallon drum of Castrol XL, GB. That`s a while ago...;-)

Probably got through it in a year doing 1,000 mile changes - but can`t remember what on.