Vectra Cam Belt - Warren
I have recently experienced the dreaded "Cambelt Failure" on my 1.6 LS Ecotec Vectra, at 38,000 miles after the previous replacement by a Vauxhall Dealer.

I have tried to claim a warranty repair due to the fact that the "Official" replacement is 40,000 miles from Vauxhall, but they have rejected the claim, saying that the item is only guaranteed for 1 Year. The recommendation of 40,000 miles is not backed up by a time limit from Vauxhall, so i feel i have a good case.

The car has Full Vauxhall Service History from new, and repairs are currently at £ 1300.

I will take the matter further, but before i start this line of action, i wonder if anyone else has had, or is going through the same thing with Vauxhall.

Any comments / advice would be appreciated.
Warren
Vectra Cam Belt - Ken A
How old is the car? Presumably with 78k on the clock it is well out of the manufacturers warranty period and any warranty claim re the failed cambelt would therefore, at best, be limited to the cost of a replacement belt. However, if the car is not too long in the tooth and has been, as you state, fully serviced to manufacturers specification, I would have thought you might get a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repairs.
A further point, however. When the cambelt was replaced at 40k, did you have the tensioners replaced as well? If not, are you sure it's the belt that failed and not the original tensioners, in which case you're probably on a hiding to nothing.
I asked if the tensioners would be replaced automatically when the belt was changed on my 2.00 CDX a few weeks back and was told not unless the customer requested that it was done which is really naff as having the belt done without the tensioners is asking for trouble.
Sorry this is a bit of a negative reply but good luck with your claim anyway.
Vectra Cam Belt - Warren
Ken A

Thx for your reply.
The car is 1996 model, and was recalled by Vauxhall a few years ago for the replacement tensioners.
The belt was changed at 36,000 miles, and has now done 74,000 miles. It does have the full history, and is not subjected to extreme driving.

Warren
Vectra Cam Belt - John S
Warren

If my '96 Vectra was anything to go by, the recall didn't automatically result in the belt tensioners being replaced. It was an inspection of the tensioner roller condition, and if they were OK they were left on the car. My dealer automatically replaced tensioners with a cambelt change, but as we know they don't all do this.

Regards

John S