In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - volvoman
Just listened to a slot on the news about Philadelphia where they introduced a policy of towing away/confiscating and auctioning cars belonging to people who have flouted the law e.g. by having no insurance, driving licence, outstanding fines etc.
It strikes me that we're far too lenient on persistent offenders (like car tax dodgers) in the UK and should consider a similar law here.
In Philadelphia it has led to a dramatic decrease in these offences - anyone got any views ?
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Tomo
Here, they'd probably be unsaleable.

And the deprived one might then go out and steal yours.

(Probably not mine, that's an advantage of "odd" cars. Tamburlaine - 1929 3-litre Special Z3ST Lagonda, only one quite like it - was open and had an ignition key without a switch, and remained unmolested!)

Tomo
Let's hope it's still in your garage tomorrow morning !
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Highway Star
I saw that on the news this morning. No need to pay someone to take away and scrap your old car, just leave it illegally parked parked somewhere ;-)

Did I leave my lights on?
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Highway Star
Oops, that shouldn't be 'parked' x2!

Did I leave my lights on?
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - BrianW
You run a risk of getting a ticket if you double park.

;-)))

And your lights are off, I just checked.
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Mark (RLBS)
Absolutely. Although I'd crush the cars.

Second C&U or IN conviction & bang.
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - HF
If they sold the cars and raised a bit of revenue then maybe they could use it to bring down some of the costs for law-abiding motorists.

On second thoughts, they probably wouldn't.....
Of course Helpless Female would be given automatic immunity from any such law !!!!

p.s. have you done that bl££dy letter yet ??
Volvo, as well you know, my own car would be immune from being sold, and indeed from being crushed, in light of the fact that its condition already bears more than a passing resemblence to those that have already been subjected to the 'crusher'.

PS Yeah I've done me bl**dy letter, you don't seem to be doing your bl**dy decorating though!
NO - it's just that I decorate faster than you type ! :-)

Now how long is it gonna take you to send the bl£$dy thing ?
Ha bl**dy ha!!!!!! :)

Bl**dy thing posted as of about half an hour ago, as I was driving (motoring link) home from my parents house!! So there!!!
Perhaps we could crush the old bangers and sell the better cars - I've seen plenty of fairly new motors around whose tax is several months out of date.
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Will someone tell me why you all think car tax is A Good Thing?

I'm easily confused.................
It's not a good thig at all, but seeing as it exists, I resent paying for mine when so many others are getting way with avoiding it.

Personally, I think they should abolish it and get the revenue from fuel costs - I know these are ridculously high anyway, but at least that would prevent the fact that low-mileage users pay the same as drivers who are on the roads all the time.

From a low-mileage driver.....
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Armitage Shanks{P}
Plus Johnny Foreigner could pay for using our roads when visiting!
yep, why not?
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Given that we pay far too much motoring tax, it should simply be abolished.

I'll rephrase that.........it MUST simply be abolished...............

Especially as it's based on the lie that CO2 emissions will end life on earth.
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - John R @ Work {P}
If Johnny Foreigner fills up on the continent (big fuel tanks) before comming over/under the channel/North Sea/Chunnel the do not need to purchase fule with our high tax... So, with the eception of the odd toll bridge/tunnel they get the use of our roads for free...

John R
John R. - That does of course work both ways but I'd levy a tax on all foreign commercial vehicles anyway - a flat fee payable at the point of entry.
In the US they tow 'em away & sell 'em ! - John R @ Work {P}
Maybe included in the cost of the ferry ticket.... but only for JFs.

(Opps... that should have been EXCEPTION not eception in my last post) :-(

John R

Who said car tax is a good thing ?
HF is right (much as I hate to admit it :-)) it is the law whether we like it or not and I don't see why so many people should simply get away with it.
The most important factor though is that driving without a current RFL voids your insurance AFAIK and nobody should be able to drive in those circumstances!
Personally I'd put road tax and basic third party insurance cover on the cost of petrol. It would be fairer on low mileage drivers, prevent avoidance and mean that any innocent victim of a car accident would be covered.