advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - juicyrear
Hi All i awoke up this morning,took a yawn as i drew back my curtains only to find that a disabled parking bay has been placed outside my neighbours house.not a problem BUT it overlaps my property which i privately own.Now they do have a drive , as do i,but they choose to park their caravan on it! i have contact the relevant peeps about this and they say they are not removing it as the occupational therapist has suggested they have it.i have tried to find out about the laws of the location of these such bays but can not find out whether they are legally allowed to use part of my parking area in front of MY house or is it that the road is simply the councils property and that they can do what they want with it.
i know that they have had this done in spite as they like to have both of their cars in front of their house without having to park in front of their own drive with a caravan on it.....in case of an emergancy holiday i persume ;o)
now i dont like to argue over such things as parking spaces but this has made me so cross to use part of my parking outside my house where my hubby parks his van and is now unable to do so because they are greedy!
any advice welcome!

Top Reply

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Mr X
In my opinion, we have been left with two types of disabled person . First we have the genuinely disabled person who needs the extras like the blue badge, motobility, priority parking in order to live a better life than they would with out such aids.

Unfortunately, over my life time a new group has emerged which I class as the flexi-disabled. They exaggerate their condition and associated problems to gain what ever is going. They need to park right out side the doors of the local shop but yet have no problem playing 18 holes of golf later that afternoon. I know it happens, I know they exist. I bet a good few members on here know that as well but feel it's better to put up and shut up rather than discuss such a ' taboo' subject.

All Replies

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You may own your house but this gives no rights relating to the use of the road in front of it. You do not have a personal parking area in front of your house, assuming it is a publicly maintained, adopted, road. Unless the disabled bay obstructs access to your own drive/property it is legal SFAIK
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - the swiss tony
my parking outside my house where my hubby parks his van and is now unable to do so because they are greedy!

That 'may' be part of the reason for the location of the parking bay...
I wouldn't be to happy looking out my window to have the view obstructed by a Van.

As AS say's you have no rights on use of the road outside your property, except for right of access.
Could there be more to this disagreement than meets the eye?
The council will be promoting it's ' we are a caring council " posture by installing this bay. In this country , the qualification for disabled has been watered down to as little as an in growing toe nail, causing the genuinely disabled to be lumped in the same ' scroungers " category.

People now seem to crave the title ' disabled " in order to gain some advantage or other.

Is the property with the caravan privately owned. If so they may be something in the deeds about the use of the land as regards the parking of a caravan.

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Stuartli
>>.. the qualification for disabled has been watered down to as little as an in growing toe nail, >>

Still airing those prejudiced views I note.....

Although I would frankly be indignant about such a bay being assigned in front of my property, I suppose it seems not all that much different to the zoned off areas in some of my town's central streets for "Residential Parking" facilities (at an annual cost to each vehicle owning resident).

At least in a busy holiday resort that makes sense, as we get thousands of day trippers arriving daily in their cars or on public transport.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - b308
Boy have you got a problem!

Please do your homework before making crass and innacurate statements like thst.

To put the record straight, the Councils do not posture in these cases, they take the advice of professional medical people and the highways people before installing a disabled bay... For someone to have one of these there has to be good reason, but it may be that they have found that they could not park their car in front of the house because the space was always taken by the OPs vehicles... as the OP is (I assume) able bodied the Council has decided that perhaps the disabled person's need to be able to park outside their home is more important.

Problem with this is we only have one person's views, it would be interesting to hear from the other party.

Quite honestly I am getting sick and tired of your continued rants against disabled people, please refrain from it in the future and try confining your comments to proven facts and not malicious gossip when discussing disabled issues.
I will view the subject of disability as I see fit
I would ask that in future you provide the facts to prove your points, but quite frankly I doubt you can, you have a problem that "they" get some sort of "advantage" and you can't stand that so you spread rumours and gossip... I for one don't find that acceptable behaviour.

Edited by b308 on 16/07/2009 at 10:39

We have either become a very very sick country over the last 20 years or some peeps are swinging the lead. I know which I am prepared to believe based on my life experiences.
Or perhaps people that would otherwise have been confined to their home because of lack of any support/help 20 years ago are now getting the help they need to be able to get out, and in many cases actually work and pay taxes just like you or I.

I think that if you actually spoke to some disabled people, MrX, you'd find thats the more likely explanation.
In my opinion, we have been left with two types of disabled person . First we have the genuinely disabled person who needs the extras like the blue badge, motobility, priority parking in order to live a better life than they would with out such aids.

Unfortunately, over my life time a new group has emerged which I class as the flexi-disabled. They exaggerate their condition and associated problems to gain what ever is going. They need to park right out side the doors of the local shop but yet have no problem playing 18 holes of golf later that afternoon. I know it happens, I know they exist. I bet a good few members on here know that as well but feel it's better to put up and shut up rather than discuss such a ' taboo' subject.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - nick
>>the flexi-disabled

Quite a few of those in my area.
Like our little friend the break dancer on BGT?

I agree there is *some* misuse of the BB and DLA/MA schemes, just like any other benefits and expenses schemes, but on the whole most are genuine...

I have said on another thread that I feel that the BB scheme needs overhauling and is given out too readily, so have already agreed to a certain extent with you...

But to get DLA/MA you need to have made quite considerable claims about your lack of ability to get out and about... if you know of people who you feel are misusing the system (and that seems to be why you have the bee in your bonnet over it) then get in touch with the appropriate authorities and they will investigate. If there has been a breach they will take them to court and get the money back, there has been a couple of cases recently in our local rag, so I know it happens...

Quite honestly without you or I reporting these people then they'll continue to try it on and its our taxes they are spending... any misuse annoys me as much as you, I will do something about it if i see it, will you?

Edited by b308 on 16/07/2009 at 11:08

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - nick
Now that money is tight even NuLab has woken up to it. It was reported in tuesday's Telegraph that the new assessment regime brought in last year has turned down more than two thirds of applicants for sickness benefit on average and up to 90% in some areas. Jonathan Straw, the Minister for Disabled People said ''In the 1980's the numbers on sickness benefit trebled. We are determined not to make those mistakes again'.
It's pretty well known that when the mines closed in the 80's, sympathetic doctors signed many off on long-term sick as it was better money than the dole and they had little chance of getting a job.
Not much to do with motoring so I suppose we'd better get back on track!
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - FotheringtonThomas
In my opinion we have been left with two types of disabled person .
First we have the genuinely disabled person
over my life time a new group has emerged which I class as the flexi-disabled.

There's another group - the "disabled in the head" - those who are muzzy of thought, and have no consideration for those less fortunate.
Clearly not me then
'First we have the genuinely disabled person'
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - moonshine {P}
I have to agree with Mr X, unfortunately people do abuse the system.

My mother had a very bad back and joints that meant she found it hard to walk. Many years ago she applied for motability and was turned down. Being old fashioned and honest she played down how bad it was (didn't like to make a fuss) and she was turned down.

At the same time someone we knew hurt their knee after playing tennis. When she went for the assesment she played it up big time. She was accepted and got a car. She later boasted that her knee was fine and she was pleased at having got the car.

Disgusting abuse, which I fear still goes on today.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - drbe
She later boasted that her knee was fine and she was pleased at
having got the car.

However, you reported the facts to the authorities and the woman was re-assessed and her car was taken away from her?

So - you did your duty as a good citizen and justice prevailed?
I have reported in the past but rather then go off and conduct some sort of investigation, councils usually expect you to become Magnum P.I and provide them with endless lists of dates, times, places and all at your time and expense.
Councils aren't involved in the Motability and DLA schemes, its a national government scheme and they do the investigation, not you. Obviously they will ask you for details just like the police would do if you reported seeing a crime, otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry with a grudge would report someone even if they know they are genuine, just to cause them problems...

BB misuse is more difficult, and many people get it when they don't need it and, even worse, many people don't hand them back when they should. As a user of a BB I will challenge anyone who uses a space when they shouldn't and usually get grief for doing so, but with a wife that genuinely needs a space I feel that its my duty to do so... most people can be "embarrassed" into moving, but as we've seen in that other thread on agression, there's always the hardcore who feel that my wife is somehow "getting one over them" by have a space she can use which is more convenient than the one they should be using...

Pity I can't just swap their good health for her illness, we'd much prefer that!

Edited by b308 on 16/07/2009 at 13:19

>>.. its a national government scheme>>

It was a Government initiative in 1977 but Motability is, in fact, a charity organisation.

I'm with you on your last sentence - as I've stated previously, my wife would willingly and immediately give up her Blue Badge and other benefits to once again enjoy life as she used to know it.

However, there are always some who will abuse a system whatever its nature or purpose; it's built-in.
>
So - you did your duty as a good citizen and justice prevailed?

No, I was just a young lad at the time and not as worldly wise and confident as I am now. If it happened today, then yes, without any doubt I would report it.
>>I will view the subject of disability as I see fit >>

A rather inappropriate word to use in view of the subject.

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - cuthbert
I see Mr X is spouting his usual venom ???

How you can suggest that a person can grave to be classed as disabled it is utter nonsense !!
it is an insult to the many people who post on this site who are !!

With anything there are cases when the system is abused but I think it is in the minority.

I just hope that some time in the future you are not in a postion were you are unable to conduct your every day living as you do now
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Dwight Van Driver
If as the result of the 'bay'is blocking your egress/exit to your drive then I would speak to the local authority (Traffic management Section) that laid them. Ascertain if the bay has beeen put down as the result of a Traffic Order (enforceable) or an advisory one to assist a Blue Badge Holder. Note an Advisory Disabled Person's Parking Bay is unofficial and non-enforceable.

I am surprised that this has been granted if there is a drive cluttered with a caravan.

Consultation with your immediate neighbours is required before being put in. Did you not object then.?

However as stated the road outside ones's property is not owned by that person so cannot be considered theirs.

dvd

Do you own the road outside your house? Do you pay for repairs to the road and pavements?

If not then its a public road and anyone can park outside your house.

That is very true but should some one be getting prioritised parking in order to allow them to use their driveway as a caravan storage area ?
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - lordwoody
I'd avoid getting into disputes with your neighbour, however much you feel aggrieved. It's a stressful route to go down and usually no one wins (voice of experience!)
Good point lordwood but the problem is that the one who goes unchallenged is generally perceived to have won , ie they have got what they wanted and to hell with everyone else.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - ForumNeedsModerating
Sorry, I don't know the law surrounding these things - others can comment with more authority than me, but...

Some things do seem a bit odd though:

- They have the viable (and always available) option of using their drive - this is also closer
to their house/front door one would assume
- Simply having a caravan would make one think they can't be that decrepit or disabled;
I can't think caravan holidays are for the entirely sedentary and/or
physically compromised?
- The bay was laid on 'advice' from a therapist? Do they now arbitrate on such things -
aren't there strict procedures & qualifying criteria involved that are more regulated?
- Why was the bay laid on your side of your neighbours (if you see what I mean..) - was
there consultation with immediate neighbours and/or planning procedure involved?
- Despite the caravan occupying the drive, they still have the always-on option of parking
across their own drive (unless of course as the OP said, they need to take an 'emergency' holiday..) - so why not just use that? No-one else will obstruct their drive will they?

Although there's only one side of the story here, prima facie, there do seem some oddities here to say the least.

I'm certainly not anti-disabled, (in fact my sister is disabled & I take care of her transport needs without a blue badge or other concessions) so I hope this comment is not characterised by others in that way.

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - daveyjp
Disabled bays outside houses are provided for many different reasons. Without the full facts of the situation arising for the request for a disabled bay no comment can be made on this issue.

And it's not 'someone' getting prioritised parking - these spaces are not for exclusive use, anyone with a blue badge can use them.

These requests usually have to go to a Council Committe - I suggest the OP tracks down a copy of the report (usually available on line) before doing anything else.

Edited by daveyjp on 16/07/2009 at 10:26

I agree that anyoine with a BB could use it, Dave, but if its outside a specific house it is usually for the use of that person, and I'd hope that other BB users would bear that in mind. They are quite rare and tend to be for good reason, though I did see some in Germany as well, so they are not just confined to this country.
Be interesting indeed to hear the views of the disabled bay neighbour when he finds another vehicle with a blue badge in it !
Trying to get an image of what the OP is describing, I think the two houses are side by side. The bay has been placed in front of the houses but taking up more than an equal half and half. Thus the OP no longer has the option of parking a vehicle on the public road whilst the other neighbour has been guaranteed a space 24/7. Now as this neighbour all ready has a space on their property on which to park a vehicle but has choosen instead to place a caravan there, then that in my view is wrong and the council are not doing their job in ensuring that all residents are treated equally.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - daveyjp
Without the full facts of the situation arising for the request for a disabled bay no comment can be made on this issue.
Interesting post, MrX, you now seem to know them and its the OPs first post... I'm beginning to smell a rat.

Though I agree with Dave's view that without knowing the full facts its difficult to comment other that confirm how these things are done, certainly the caravan parked on the front is unusual...
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - adverse camber
We recently opposed a couple of disabled parking bays.

1st one for a household with no car - wanted the space so that their carer could park outside their house.

2nd for a house with drive and off-road parking already.

I got an amount of stick for opposing them but I didnt think that they were appropriate.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - R75
There just are not enough facts here to decide if what has been done is right or wrong!

The drive of the disabled person may not be suitable. It may be on a slope, it may not offer enough room for entry and exit of the vehicle etc. At this very moment my parents are having their driveway altered so that my father can enter and exit his van in his electric wheelchair, they are lucky in that they have a large drive and front garden to be able to make the changes, but it is still costing many thousands to do that they have to pay for! For the last year he has had to leave his car out on the road, I am sure some of their neighbours were not best pleased, but it was the only place he could enter and exit the van from. He could have had a disabled bay put there but as they knew it was only going to be short term they declined.

So there are too many variables to consider as to why the bay has been placed where it has.

As for MrX's comments, he is quite right there are lots of freeloaders who get benefits and BB etc and really should not, but that actually makes it far harder for those of us who do need them. But many disabilities are not that visible, but they still exist and are very real none the less.

I could have a Disabled Parking bay outside my house, I don't, but hat is my choice as I do not wish to draw attention from our neighbours. I work around it in other ways, such as getting my other half to park the car for me if no space near by etc. Maybe that is what should happen, if you have a BB then you have to have a Disabled space outside your house, I wonder how many of the freeloaders would then apply knowing that they would then have a permanent reminder outside their front door!
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - LikedDrivingOnce
My natural inclination is to leap to the defence of disabled people. I'm going to try to put myself in the OP's shoes for a moment though, and try to see both sides.

There are also some red herrings in this case which get in the way of the basic facts. For example, the issue of the caravan parked in the drive. It is entirely reasonable strategy for disabled people to take caravan holidays, since a good many places in this country (hotels, B & B's) don't cater that well for those with disabilities. Another side issue is the toxic debate of the "genuine" disabled. I'm not going there.

Although the public road in our residential streets is for anyone to park on (unless there are some posted regulations), people actually feel that the bit of road outside their house is their space. Not in law, but in a give-and-take "natural justice" sort of way. With this viewpoint, taking up any more than your share is selfish.

I'm old enough to remember when parking outside your house was never a problem, but as we have got more affluent, the "second-car" has become common, and even the "third-car" or "fourth car" for the grown up children still living at home. A house near me has two people living in it. They used to keep one car in the drive and one in the garage. But they have filled the garage with junk and acquired two more cars. So now they have 4 cars, with three of them cluttering up the close and blocking peoples access to their own properties. There have been some fierce shouting matches between neighbours over this. It doesn't help that the couple are arrogant and drive expensive cars in an average neighbourhood. We get the feeling that it's a "you lot must suffer for what WE WANT".

Now, I think that the OP is wound up here because there doesn't seem to be any give-and-take from their neighbours. I don't have the full facts, but from the OP's account it seems that their neighbours could put themselves out a bit but adamantly refuse. This wouldn't matter, except that the OP is directly affected by not being able to park their vehicle outside their house and are faced with a problem. However, it IS reasonable to expect people to block their OWN drive, rather than cause inconvenience to others.

The OP says that the neighbours have two cars and have been parking in front of their own house. Did they apply for a parking bay because they found that other people were parking outside their house, and they needed guaranteed parking? If so do they really need it for two cars? By the sound of it this disabled parking bay is very big if it overlaps the width of a house. Is it for two cars, I wonder? Surely this is unusual. Round our way, the bays that I have seen are all suitable for only one medium-sized car.

My optimum solution (if possible), is to push for a single disabled bay directly outside the neighbours house, and ask then to compromise on the issue of parking in front of their own driveway with their second car. You never know, they might be happy to come to an agreement in order to improve relations. If they refuse, however, escalate your request to the council.

One last thought. Your neighbours do sound a genuine case, if they have been allocated a parking bay. Being disabled is a tough life challenge that you can't run away from. Try to cut them some slack if at all possible.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Optimist
I had no idea a disabled person could have their own disabled space outside the house.

So I googled and the link

tinyurl.com/kk8ly3

goes to Harrow Council's site. I notice that one of the conditions is that "there is no provision for off-street parking".

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - kithmo
From the above link, they can apply for a disabled bay if, "there is no provision for off-street parking and it is impractical to provide it". I think in the OP's case this may be a point to argue. Why should the neighbour be allowed to have a disabled bay when they have a perfectly good off-street driveway ?
They should store their caravan elsewhere like most people do. We had to give up caravanning when my partner became crippled with athritis as I couldn't manouvre the caravan by myself nor put up the awning etc., it's not the ideal type of holiday for someone who is disabled.

Edited by kith on 16/07/2009 at 15:27

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - juicyrear
hi again,i feel that i needed to say that i didnt mean to appear unsympathetic .also answer a few questions.
yes,the wife is genuinely disabled and hher hubby drives her.i have never had a problem with parking in fact i have always allowed her carer to park in front of my drive when she needed to.it was never a problem as she would always move if requested i.e if i need to get out.
i was never consulted about the bay by anyone,not the neighbour nor the council.
They are tenants of the local authority so i would have thought that i would have been asked about any objections to the bay using some space in front of my house as i own my property,and that isnt meant to sound snobbish.it is as though they have taken advantage of our good nature and that has annoyed me.plus there is plenty of room the other side of their property which is rarely used by cars.
if i wanted to be a cow then i know i could report them for having the caravan on their drive as i know it isnt allowed but i havent,so i am not as bad as some of you have made me feel.
the drive is sligthly sloped which is why they have been granted this but surely getting in and out of a car is easier then climbig 3 steps into the caravan while on a sloped drive?which she often does.so i do feel that they are reserving the place that they so desperately want by having this bay.and obviously not telling the entire truth .
the bay isnt allowed to be in front of any driveway and yes our houses are terraced which means the bay uses some of the space outside of my property,it goes up to my drop curb from his dropped curb so doesnt block my entry or exit.it is 6.6meters and even more anoying is that his car actually fits infront of his property but he chooses to park it towards the back of the bay in front of my property making it less room for any visitors of mine.
i always park on my drive and the van doesnt block anyones view while in front of my house other than my own so why should i have to park it somewhere else when there has always been room just because they are being greedy.
yes she is disabled and yes she deserves her advantages but not to take advantage of everyone else in the meantime.
all i wanted to know in the first place was whether or not this was acceptable or could i complain and have it moved to a more suitable palce seeing as there is room close to their property elsewhere .
well i suppose i could look on the bright side,at least my BB mother has a place to park,legally right outside my house.now theres a tempting thought.
yes there are scroungers out there but there are also people who know exactly how to work the system .
JR, lets just get you straight on one thing before we go any further... from what you've said the road outside your house sounds like it is adopted and maintained my the local council... therefore you have NO rights to claim that the bit outside your house is yours, and yours alone, to park on it. That is a often quoted misconception... anyone can park there as long as they don't block you in!

From what you have said they have acted completely legally, the bay does not block your drive and the only reason i can see for you objecting to it is you would prefer to be able to park your vehicle there! ("why should i have to park it somewhere else "). As far as I know they don't have to consult you about putting in a bay which does not affect access to your property and is on a public road.

If she is not genuine then report it and the reasons why, but from what you've said about the sloping drive, etc, it seems that she may well be genuine and that would not be suitable for use on a daily basis. I'm sure that the caravan use is only on the odd occassion, and with many people with mobility complaints it can vary considerably from day to day which would explain the occassional trip to the 'van.

Might I offer a possible solution?

As they will not be using the 'van all the time why don't you ask if its possible to park in front of their drive... obviously with the rider that you will shift it straight away if required?

At the end of the day they are ensuring that a person with special needs has somewhere guaranteed to park close to their house and it will make their life easier... you've said yourself that you've allowed them to park infront of your drive before now, which to me indicates that they have had problems parking in the past... I'd learn to live with it, after all, you never know, you might just need it yourself in the future!!

Edited by b308 on 18/07/2009 at 11:08

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Hamsafar
When my Grandad was alive, he and Grandma could only walk a few steps, but could not get a disabled badge. snip - party politics

If you find the laws regarding these bays and whether or not legal restrictions need to be in place specifically for that location or not, also remember that there may be byelaws that you will need to check.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/07/2009 at 18:14

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - SlidingPillar
As an aside, the situation may be different in Scotland. When I lived there, I owned the road outside my house to the centre but it was still an adopted road. Don't think it changes the practicalities but may alter the punctuation!
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - deepwith
Hamsafar, for many many years it has been possible to qualify for a BB if you can "only walk a few steps". They would have needed to ring the Council to get the forms, filled them in plus two passport type photos and get their GP to complete the forms - send it off with the appropriate fee. I suspect they either did not know how to go about getting a BB or their GP/Health Visitor did not consider them entitled to one.

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Hamsafar
Deepwith, it was something to do with them being too old to qualify for a prerequisite Disability Living Allowance benefit or something like that. If you are over 65 when you first apply, you don't stand much chance unless you have no use of arms or are blind. My advice to infirm people is to get one before you are 65, maybe this is another reason for such proliferation, stupid rules.
www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTra...1

Edited by Hamsafar on 18/07/2009 at 13:53

Hamsafar, Yes, they would not have qualified for DLA but could have qualified for a BB on grounds of infirmity. As I say, it was down to bad advice, as the BB is not totally confined to those on DLA as there certainly would not be the 'Grey Brigade' who feel their need is greater than anyone younger. I had a long discussion (and gained information) about this with a social worker working with special needs young people aged over 16.

Edited by deepwith on 18/07/2009 at 14:24

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - component part
@b308

I'm not seeing it the same way as you. The OP is concedes that the bay is legal and is not even questioning the genuineness of the neighbours disability, nor claiming ownership or 'rights' over the road. It sounds like the bay could have been placed in a different location that would be no more or less convenient for her disabled neighbours but would still enable her family to park the van outside the front of the house.

If the facts are as given by the OP then morally that bay should be in a different place.

Maybe speak to the disabled neighbour and ask them to ask the authorities to move the bay?
From what has been said it is on the road outside both houses (stradling the centre line between the two) and does not block either drives or impinge on the dropped kerbs... the impression I got was that the OP wanted it moving away from the front altogether... somewhere along the road! Perhaps the OP would clarify if it was possible before to park two vehicles end on end and NOT block the dropped kerbs?

But as I and others have said without seeing it in the flesh its difficult to make any meaningful comment re that...

As for the BB scheme, I am in full agreement with the recent posters, its far too easy to get one these days... even easier than DLA, though I doubt MrX would agree! ;-)

Edited by b308 on 18/07/2009 at 16:04

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - George Porge
If there's a dropped kerb outside the neighbours house then there was no need for a parking bay...................................

More wasted tax payers money
Not necessarily... the sloping drive is a good reason not to use the drive for parking for certain types of disabilty, Dox... My wife would have difficulty getting in and out of a car if it was on a slope.
Not necessarily... the sloping drive is a good reason not to use the drive for
parking for certain types of disabilty Dox... My wife would have difficulty getting in and
out of a car if it was on a slope.

I never mentioned parking on the drive, the kerb is dropped so people can't obstruct the drive so the neighbour already had reserved parking.

My 84 Y-O mother has bad knees (ones been replaced, she's "too old" to have the other one done!), her drive slopes steeply, she manages
Sorry Dox, don't follow you - the OP was the one that mentioned the drive was sloping and all I said is that could be a valid reason for them not using the drive to park on and have to get in and out of a car that is on a slope on a regular basis... so despite having space on the drive it may not be suitable, therefore the bay is provided on the road.

As for your mother, I'm quite sure that you are right, and my 92yo one would probably manage as well, but my under 50yo wife wouldn't.... everyone's different, eh!

Edited by b308 on 18/07/2009 at 20:24

Why do they need a bay when they already have a dropped kerb? I couldn't park in front of said kerb could I? so therefore they already have reserved parking?

IMO if the bay is justified it should cover their drive as that would be the quickest and easiest way from the car to the house would it not? By putting it partly in front of the neighbour they are actually disadvantaging the blue badge owner making them walk further.
If they put it across the dropped kerb in front of their house getting in and out of the car would involve traversing the slope of the dropped kerb... I think you'll find that a bay can only be put where the kerb is level with the pavement, not where it is dropped to the level of the road, for the same reason as not using a sloping drive - as for the distance, we are surely only talking a matter of a few feet extra, and that is on the level, so its not really an issue?

Edited by b308 on 18/07/2009 at 20:55

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - welshlad
in reply to the OP is it possible that the disabled bay has been positioned in the middle between your drop kerb and thiers and that is way its encroaching on 'your' parking space.

in reply to the rest of the conversation i think its deciding whether someone needs or wants something because of a disabillity my parents were advised by a highways inspector to apply for a disabled bay but they havent because where the bay would be situated my dad doesnt think it fair as he always pulls up to the front door of their house and lets my mum out (shes the disabled one) and then pulls forward into his parking space and always does the same when taking my mum out so to have a bay would just because they can and not though need which i think is the fair way to look at things
TBH all this discussion has done is highlight (as many others have said) that without the full facts from both sides and being able to physically see what the issues are its really impossible to make any meaningful suggestions, I seriously doubt that the local council have installed it illegally and from what has been said by the OP it seems its not actually blocking any of the drives... as to whether morally its acceptable, thats impossible for us to decide on the info we have...

I'm beginning to think we are going round in circles...

If the OP is not happy with it then the answer is to approach the people who authorised it and take it from there...

Time to lock?
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - component part
Why should the thread be locked? Just because you can't think of anything further to add. If nothing else the OP may want to come back with an update.
Yes you are right after sleeping on it for the night I tend to agree, I was a bit hasty!... but really unless we get something from the disabled person or their family as to why they asked for the space we can't really come to any meaningful conclusion, as it is clear that anything the OP says is skewed simply because he percieves them as having taken away "his" parking space and is viewing it from that angle without knowing the true reasons for their request...

What I didn't want is for it to drop into one of those disabled knocking threads which it did look as though it was going to earlier.

He asked for advice on what to do and whether they can do it, the short answers are go and have a word with the Council and yes they can!

Edited by b308 on 19/07/2009 at 10:37

Snip - Your frequent and somewhat prejudice comments towards anyone less able bodied than yourself are becoming tiresome.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/07/2009 at 17:40

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - perro
>>> as it is clear that anything the OP says is skewed simply because he percieves them as having taken away "his" parking space <<<

I think you'll find 'juicyrear' is a her :o)
On street parking is a strange almost ' pecking order " situation. Say you have lived in your home for around 12 years or more and have all ways parked your car neatly outside the front of your home. New people move in next door or across the road, bringing with them more cars than their property has space for. They start leaving a car in the place that you have been using for the past 12 years, meaning that you now have to seek a spot some where else.

It's difficult not to feel hard done by and if the subject is brought up with the newcomers who then take the attitude ' tough doggie do " then what ?

It's a situation being played out all over the country.

The OP's situation is not all that different but with the other party using the law to get the upper hand.
One question I have. Did this disability come on suddenly or where they sharing the space in front of the houses before the bay ? . Where did they park before the bay arrived if the disability has been long term.
From what she (my appologies and thanks Perro!) has said she seems to have had the disability for a bit... my guess is that they were unaware that they could get a dedicated space and were taking to their Occ Therapist and saying how difficult it was to park outside sometimes and the OT suggested they approach the Council to get one put in... certainly makes sense from what has been said by the OP.

I do feel that this is nothing to do with getting the "upper hand", MrX, that infers we are talking about people who are equal in their ability to get around... as the OP has already said the other person is not trying it on, they are genuinely disabled.

Common sense would say that if we saw someone whose needs were greater than our own we would willingly allow them to park nearer their home, regretably, as you have said, most people take a rather more selfish attitude resulting in the disabled person having to take measures such as this.

Edited by b308 on 19/07/2009 at 17:44

Or it could be the usual
Disabled person one " I've got a special bay painted outside my house, how come you haven't ? "
Disabled person two. " Could I get one ?"
Disabled person one " Just go down the council and demand one. After all, you are ENTITLED "
The point is of course that , YES, they are entitled but is it a case of need or Entitlement ?
As an aside for those of you ho think I spend my spare hours stoning disabled people...
tinyurl.com/ksuzn2

How many childrens lives are this council saving my refusing to grant special permission of a few minutes stopping time for this particular case, tens, hundreds ?

If he arrived in an Ambulance then I don't suppose it would be a problem. Using taxis as a cheap form of ambulance, as in these circumstances should , be acknowledged.

Mr X, this may sound as if you cannot win - which it is not meant to ;-), but this story really is trying to blame the wrong people.

We faced a similar problem due to an intractable Head, who refused to allow any pupil to arrive via the main gates to the school, where the staff and visitors parked and walked into school. We did not actually park on the zigzag, but in bus layby next to the school (no bus service at this time) if there was room left by other parents. It took a visit by a police officer to the Head to advise him that it might be more sensible to allow those with a BB (Yes, one of those!) for the child, should be allowed to stop in the Visitors space inside the main gate.

Obviously this is a much longer story, but these are the bones of it - I would suggest it is very unlikely that the school in this article does not have an entrance for deliveries and staff, off road.
The point is of course that YES they are entitled but is it a case
of need or Entitlement ?

I don't know, MrX, and neither do you... only the people who live next door to the OP would know...

As to the rest of the post, yes many disabled people talk to each other and find out what they are ENTITLED (your caps) to... I can't see any difference between that and you or I posting a question on this forum about problems with a car and finding that its a common problem and the manufacturer does a free "fix" for it but doesn't publicise it... You'll find if you ever end up having to make claims for a disablity that the Gov are just like the car manufacturers, they like to hide any help they give, even though they actually passed the leglislation to help the individual in the first place!! So I am not sure what you are tring to insinuate... that disabled people should not be allowed to talk to each other perhaps?!

Edited by b308 on 19/07/2009 at 18:26

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - KB.
My word, this thread has certainly revealed a thing or two about how some of us view those less able than others. I don?t happen to be physically disabled but volunteer to assist those who are and know at first hand how difficult it can be to get disabled folk to places where access is taken for granted by the fit and healthy. I suggest those who feel the disabled are taking advantage or getting away with it try taking 2 or 3 folk with M. S. + any number of the problems associated with it in wheelchairs to somewhere basic like, say, a shopping mall or an entertainment venue and see for themselves whether it?s a piece of cake or not. Tell you what?you strap your legs up with tape so you can?t walk, put greaseproof paper over your eyes, take something to make your hands shake all the time and come back in a months time and tell us how you get on??Maybe get on to the Daily Mail to cover the event and copy/paste the link on here?should make interesting reading.

Edited by KB. on 19/07/2009 at 19:09

advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Manatee
>>As to the rest of the post, yes many disabled people talk to each other and find out what they are ENTITLED (your caps) to... I can't see any difference between that and you or I posting a question on this forum about problems with a car and finding that its a common problem and the manufacturer does a free "fix" for it but doesn't publicise it...

I think I know very well what Mr X means by 'ENTITLED'. Reminds me of the apocryphal story told to me by a retired doctor friend about the early days of the NHS, when a doctor was called out in the middle of the night to a baby whose mother thought it wasn't eating normally. Having examined the child, which seemed all right, the doctor asked how long it had been going on. "About three months" said the mother. "Three months!", shouted the doc, "why have you waited until now and called me out in the middle of the night when it's freezing and lashing with rain!".

"It's what we're entitled to!" was the reply.
Nail, head and hit Manatee, nail head and hit.
We are talking about the disabled, M. As far as I can see from his comments he is insinuating that it is somehow wrong for disabled people to exchange information on them so they can claim what they are entitled to... As those entitlements are set by and funded by the Gov to allow a disabled person to have a better quality of life than they would do otherwise I can't see how it could be wrong for them to try and improve the quality of their life by talking with others... (and that includes disabled bays to keep a motoring connection).

Edited by b308 on 19/07/2009 at 19:45

Not saying it's wrong for them to exchange the info, just pointing out that there are those who will claim a bay, even though they have no need of it , purely because they are ENTITLED to it.
As usual I will ask you for proof of that accusassion... knowing full well that, as usual, you don't have any evidence and are just stirring things, and, as usual, will pretend to hide behind the "I can't reveal my sources on a public forum"...

The Council don't just hand those things out willy-nilly, they check out each one individually, thats why you don't see many around... If you have evidence that people are misusing the system, MrX then report it, in the meantime give it a rest, eh.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - cuthbert
b308 I suggest you do not rise to the bait Mr X is trying to play you with !!

I suggest a moderator locks this thread it is not contributing anything to the original posters question but just providing Mr X with a soap box to make accusations about people who he does not know and in all honesty does not show this web site in a good light
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - nortones2
+1.
advice needed on neighbours disabled parking bay? - Pugugly
Aye - Thread creep is terminal.