Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - MGspannerman
My elderly father has recently suffered a stroke and is making a remarkable recovery. Somewhat affected still down his left side but with a good prognosis. It is not clear yet whether he will be able to drive again, but in any event my mother intends to ferry him around. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions with respect to a suitable vehicle for him, as his 406 and my mother's 205 are likely to be too small and difficult to get in and out of. Important criteria are ease of access and a high seating position. Also reliability as he wont be doing any more roadside repairs. Almost certainly the new car will be an automatic and not too large for ease of parking, but with carrying capacity for possible mobility aids. Cost is not the major issue. A Yaris Verso came to mind but I would welcome any suggestions from those with greater insight than me.

Incidentally he was taken ill in Germany and has been in hospital there for over four weeks, half in intensive care. The lesson? - always carry your E111 with you. Having one removed one more stress at a difficult time. The quality of care he has received has been outstanding and the family are truly grateful to the wonderful staff there.

Many thanks MGs
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
E111's still exist, do they?

Peter Hain was heard on TalkSport (Mike Rutherford's Station) saying the EU is A Good Thing because we can now get free medical attention in other EU countries. (That was just about all he said, in favour, during a 30 minute interview).

But the E111 predates the EU, doesn't it? If so, his assertion is irrelevant.

I'm easily confused.........................
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - Blue {P}
What's your budget?

The Mercedes A-Class has an excellent high seating position with easy access, and not a bad reliability record (they come with a 30 year warranty apparently) New they're around £16K and used they can be anything down to around £6K at 98 S reg (for a bas emodel, but the elegance is better).

Or, the new Ford Fusion, never seen one yet but apparently it has a high ride postion. It's a bit cheaper than a new Merc as well...
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - smokie
The E111 still exists. The good thing about it is that it never expires, just fill it in once, get it stamped at the Post Office and it's yours for life. Used it in France a couple of years ago for some minor ailment.

Having said that, when I needed some attention for burns (motorcycle exhaust, not sun!) in Spain this year, the hotel medic said that I would get better service if I went private and claimed against holiday insurance.
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - Tim Allcott
E111's are helpful, but remember to take photocopies. I had to apply for a second one (yes, complete second document) for 11 year old sprog who spent a month in Germany without us this summer.
Used one with a vengeance 14 years ago. Good service from French medics, and the consultant who diagnosed didn't charge (said it was too much hassle)Had to pay for our own ultrasound scans, though, so interesting holiday snaps that year...
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - Ian (Cape Town)
At the risk of this becoming a political rant, it seems that the idea is to take a holiday, go to europe, and get everything fixed for free on THEIR NHS!
I know lots of people come here, pay for medical treatment, and then spend a week recuperating in a 5 star hotel - and it still works out cheaper than UK!
Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - Marcus
MGs
Yaris Verso Auto seems to fit the bill if you can live with the looks. Amazing amount of space for size and really easy to get in/out of. Lowest rear platform I've seen. See HJ's roadtest on this site.

Just got a 'Best Buy' rating from Which too.

A friend got the GLS auto with metalic paint from Trade Sales for £10K. It was to full UK spec - he checked very carefully - 3 year warranty, English handbooks etc. It had been imported from Belgium.

Marcus

Somewhat disabled but still kicking! - MGspannerman
Thank you all for your comments, I never realised that the mere mention of E111s would generate such interest! My brother is determined that in the event of even feeling slightly unwell he will get across to Germany just in case.

We will definitely check out the Mercedes A class and the Verso. In these circumstances cost is not an issue, nor indeed is appearance.

Many thanks to backroomers for your suggestions and comments, MGs.