01 1.4 Brake fluid specification - bernie rubble
hi,i've just replaced the front discs/pads and the rear shoes.on my xsara 1.4i (w 2000)i went to my local motor factor for DOT 4 brake fluid,to 'bleed' the brakes,but on the back it said certain citroen cars should NOT use dot 4.i asked the shop assistant and he said i should use LMH+.Is this right?i've never heard of this before,i don't want to use this 'fluid' in case it knackers the brake system.i've even looked in my haynes manual,but can't seem to find it.any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/05/2009 at 17:24

Brake fluid. - bell boy
look on the master skilinder cap it should tell you
my book shows a lot of worthless numbers 9909.06
i cant find anything to match it
Brake fluid. - RichardW
I'm pretty sure a Xsara is on conventional brake fluid. I think the only non hydraulic cars that used LHM were some 2CVs. Anyway, it's easy to check - look in the reservoir, LHM is bright green, and cannot be mistaken for 'normal' brake fluid!

Brake fluid. - bernie rubble
thanks,you were right.it says on the reservoir cap,DOT 4 fluid only to be used.
Brake fluid. - rip
A case of the service attended accused of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'

As has been mentioned the Xsara brakes system is standard and uses either dot4.0 or dot5.1. But not dot5.0.

The green fluid with which the attended is talking about is LHM+ for the hydropnumatic Citroens of which the Xsara is not.