views please - adam f
Does the car have a timing chain or is it a belt? are these good cars? A chap round the corner is selling a 2001 RT. looks really nice and looks to have been really well looked after. But i asked if it has had the belt changed and he said no, and the car has now done 62k.

any opinions or views from you guys will be much appreciated.
views please - Altea Ego
Read the car bty car breakdown here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=49

Not the best buggy on the block by a long long way. Its needs to be very cheap because you cant give them away

views please - FocusDriver
adam f, I'm no expert but do read through the link AE provides. Sobering. The problem I guess is afforability but from HJ's report, it looks like it's going to be potentially expensive should it go wrong.

Excerpt (What to watch out for):

VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM OF STEERING COLUMNS SNAPPING. SHOULD REALLY BE THE SUBJECT OF A SAFETY RECALL.

Make sure aircon blows freezing cold. Spate of aircon evaporator failures at 2 to 4 years old. £1,000 job to put right.

Eyewatering prices for genuine Chrysler parts and lack of third party alternatives.

That's why people pootle about in Fiestas and Focuses. You know you can get things fixed cheaply, properly and quickly. The downside is, unlike the Chrysler, they're as common as mook!
views please - adam f
Thanks for the replys so far guys. I always make a habit of reading HJ car by car breakdown, but as the car (the one for sale anyway) is 8 years old and done arond62k i like to think that most problems that get brought up would have already been dealt with (hopefully anyway!)

I know the car by car says that the engine has a timing chain, but i am sure i have heard somewhere that they are belts.
views please - captain chaos
AFAIK 99% of American cars have chain driven engines. Most are ohv, too.
views please - bell boy
£500"s worth
run it for a year see what it fails on
views please - adam f
I am going to go and see it tomorrow as he is only 100 yards from my house. I haven't actually seen the car in the flesh yet, only on the internet, but the pictures of the car look really good.lets hope its just as good under the bonnett