02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - martinctb
Yesterday my 2002 Diesel PT Cruiser with only 28000 miles on the clock gave up and died, the car was sitting on the drive ticking over when there was a knock and the engine stopped now the engine wont turn over the starter will engage and tension is put on the engine to turnover (you can see the timing chain jerk) but it is stuck solid Question here is what has happened or what has broke, where do i start, any ideas
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - 832ark
Is there any oil in it?
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - Peter D
Can you turn the engine back wards, either with a socket on the front pulley or pushing it back wards in gear. Either a con rod has broken, a valve dropped or the head gasket has failed and the engine has hydraulically locked. Regards Peter
yes the engine will turn back about half a turn then it gets stuck again but will go the opposite half a turn again before becoming stuck again.
Yes engine does have oil
Are you sure the chain has not broken, 1/2 a turn knock to knock is a bit strange. Regards Peter
I think its going to be a head off and see whats been happeningjust wish i could locate a workshop manual that covred this model
www.amazon.co.uk/Chrysler-Cruiser-Automotive-Repai...5
Like this you mean. Regards Peter
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - jc2
Sounds like big end/conrod failure.
I think the only way im going to get to the bottom of this is start at the top and start stripping im just a litttle shocked that a 28000 mile engine would give out VOSA records confirm mileage so not impressed.
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - SpamCan61 {P}
www.amazon.co.uk/Chrysler-Cruiser-Automotive-Repai...5
Like this you mean. Regards Peter

That's only for American models though, probably some differences to UK spec.

edit:as usual the UK manual doesn't include the diesel.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 14/04/2009 at 21:35

02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - Number_Cruncher
I would first take out either all of the injectors, or all of the glow plugs, and then have an assitant try to crank the engine on the starter.

If it now turns freely, perhaps with a spurt of coolant from one of the cylinders, you've got a head gasket problem.

If not, you've got more serious trouble, and I would begin the search for a replacement engine - I suspect it will form a quicker and cheaper repair.
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - bell boy
disgusting
a low mileage engine according to vosa records and its stopped working
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - jc2
Is it a VM diesel?
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - MerlinTec
No, It?s a merc engine. This is a very good engine and I have only stripped one in 5 years working on them. It?s engine out to strip not something you want to try in place. I would remove the starter and have a look or injectors like someone said above and retest.
02 2.2 Diesel Seized or Not - Number_Cruncher
>>there was a knock

>>I would remove the starter

DMF?