Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - retgwte
once again came very close to being totally wiped out by a left hand drive foreign HGV, Spanish this time, driver clueless how to handle town centre roads, and poor visibility when looking right to pull onto roundabouts etc

how long can we let this unsafe nonsense continue?

why cannot we leave the LHD cabs in Calais and the RHD cabs in Dover and only take the trailers on the ferry? let the HGV companies use a cab with the wheel in the right place for the country they are in

ridiculous

I really object to having my life put so badly at risk for no reason

Edited by Pugugly on 06/03/2009 at 20:27

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - pmh2
Never mind, maybe third time lucky? ;)

This got me thinking,

is it because I am observant and have suceeded in not putting myself in 'at risk' positions that it has not happened to me ?

OR I am so unobservant I have never noticed a close miss?

or are some people just lucky?

maybe the very unlucky ones only have a single terminal experience?

If you don't see me posting again it probably means that the Spaniard has finally got me!

p
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Hamsafar
They drive like that in Europe, I don't think it's to do with LHD. The mirrors show them everything they need to.
in this case i was on a roundabout going straight ahead and from my left came an unanounced large hgv doing more than 30 mph straight across at 90 degrees to me

i was forced into an emergency stop mid roundabout cars behind me the same

granted his visibility to the right is not good, but hitting a town centre roundabout at full pelt in a big artic like that etc is taking the mickey

prior to this he was in the distance to my left and side on he looked like any other hgv and i had assumed he was a rhd truck as i couldnt see his plates etc

far too close for comfort

the worst bit is when they are in accidents they are often let off cos of their poor visibility

etc etc etc
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - tiredeyes
thats the reason i keep in outside lane on motorway doing 110
:-)
I upped my MLOC to OLOC
(Middle lane owners club)
(outside Lane owners club)
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - DP
My commute involves a chunk of the Western section of the M25, which carries all Channel tunnel traffic heading to/from the M40, M4 and M1, and I don't see the foreign drivers behaving any differently to the domestic ones in all honesty.

The only serious incident I've seen in recent years with any HGV driver was when my in-laws were nearly killed by a lorry whose driver failed to see a stationery queue of motorway traffic ahead of him, and rear ended them at an estimated 40-45 mph. The impact was so hard that ten cars in front of them were involved in the accident, and the car in front of them came down on their bonnet. The lorry was British registered.

I can't actually remember the last time any lorry driver, British or foreign, caused me any inconvenience, or drove in such a way that I had to take avoiding action.

Cheers
DP

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - gordonbennet
You must lead a charmed life DP, i see such situations every single day of the week.

Saw a very close one this week in the mirror, foreign truck started to pull out to overtake me but luckily he was double manned and the co driver must have spotted the poor blighter in the car that almost got wiped...i thought he'd made contact it was that close.

But middle of week came upon the standard motorway scene on the hard shoulder, Highways Agency motor behind patrol car, Vectra on its roof on the grass beside the hard shoulder and the usual 300yds beyond the wreckage the statutory foreign truck parked up.
We take bets on which country letter will be on the tractor unit involved, surprisingly good guesses too.

Maybe the govt of the day could throw some borrowed money at the problem, might even get a bureaucrat onto the J Whine show..;)

Glad you spotted the thing and lived to tell retgwte.

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Andrew-T
Sounds like he was just driving on the opposite priority rule, like the French used to before they understood how roundabouts should work.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - L'escargot
The flaw in your suggestion centres around which company would pull a foreign trailer in this country and how would such a system be arranged. For a start, I think the cost would be prohibitive.

Edited by L'escargot on 07/03/2009 at 07:28

this country and how would such a system be arranged. For a start I think
the cost would be prohibitive.

There's a huge amount of unaccompanied trailers travel in exactly this way, but i think the number is diminishing.
It should be a cheaper way to operate, as the docks involved are very highly geared up to operate these systems, but its cheaper for the foreign towing truck to travel on our roads, cheaper fuel, no UK road tax (we including our own hauliers pay for the roads for them to use with absolutely no contribution), and lower wages....we even subsidise them by supplying free fresnel lenses in a vain attempt to prevent the subject of this thread....something they should already be doing themselves.
By the way it doesn't mean there's a British driver at the wheel of a home registered truck either.

We've had this argument many times, but the playing field still slopes towards the home goal, and neither this nor the next govt will do anything about it...it doesn't mean votes.

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Chris S
Why not build HGVs with a steering-wheel in the centre (McLaren style)?
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - jc2
Hang back or overtake.Oh and get a set of air horns.They might not see me but they'll hear me.

Edited by jc2 on 07/03/2009 at 09:18

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - L'escargot
>>......... get a set of air horns.They might not see me
but they'll hear me.

The last thing we need is more car-generated noise pollution. tinyurl.com/aev9r7
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Bilboman
Noise pollution - like this, you mean ? tinyurl.com/dmnysb
I think the use of ear-splitting horns - as a last resort, only to be used in life threatening emergencies, are perfectly reasonable. Better than whipping out a firearm, anyway.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Dave_TD
and side on he looked like any other hgv and i had assumed he was a rhd truck as i couldnt see his plates

But you'd have noticed the RH door bristling with mirrors (one at the very top looking down, two looking back) as opposed to a British truck having the kerbside mirror, well, on the kerb side? My 9 year old daughter often travels in my truck in the holidays, and she can spot LHD trucks using this method before I can.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - madux
I was pulling away from some lights on a roundabout once, in the centre lane.
A LHD artic on my nearside then decided he was in the wrong lane and did a slow speed pit manoeuvre on me. Even then he did not realise that he had hit me. I felt like cork in a jacuzzi. The worst bit was hearing him go up through the gears as he pushed the little white van sideways. On my right I could see all sorts of street furniture heading for me. All I could see through the nearside window was a huge grille with VOLVO written on it. I think he only saw me when he steered right, forcing me up the kerb (and into his view I suppose).

When the Police arrived he accused me of cutting in front of him.
Look, he said, my truck is in this lane..... which of course it was by now.

Luckily there were witnesses and the skidmarks were pretty obvious evidence for Mr Plod.

Have a look at the front of a Volvo F10. It's huge.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Dave E
Why not build HGVs with a steering-wheel in the centre (McLaren style)?

Or better yet why not educate the average car driver that a 44 feet unit and trailer combination is slow moving and cumbersome and thus needs to be treated with caution?

Before this starts a flame war and brings the usual tart responses, some perspective. I am a driver of cars for almost 30 years and 3 years ago obtained my Class 1 LGV licence as a sideline for work related matters. I do the odd weekend to keep my hand in so to speak. So I am in the position of seeing it from both sides.

What never ceases to amaze me is the average car drivers approach to large vehicles. An example is cars joining motorways, every time I drive an LGV at some point I am usually forced to slow down by a car entering the motorway who is completely oblivious to the lumbering giant in the slow lane. I can and do move to the middle lane if traffic allows but come on, surely the average driver understands the need to be aware and sympathetic of traffic already on the motorway, especially something that cannot easily move out of the way. Also having seen regular comments on this column how much dislike is published about LGV's daring to use the middle lane, causing great offence to the MLOC, I try to avoid going there. ;-)

I am not chosing sides either but I would say your average truck driver has a better awareness of the road than a car driver, any day of the week.

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Alby Back
They are big. They are driving in a foreign country on the "wrong" side of the road. Ther will be those who disapprove of them being here but for now they are here.

Give them room, drive defensively. It won't avoid all incidents but speaking for myself I try, as much as possible, to keep well away from non-UK trucks. I never come alongside them on their blind side at roundabouts for example. I always hang back.
Good advice Humph - although on that occasion he was actually stationary at the lights when I pulled up alongside him and was in front of him when we pulled away.
Must've been scary madux. An elderly aunt of ours was side swiped in similar circs only recently. I don't suppose there was much you could have done to avoid your guy. I just try to keep well away when possible although I accept it is not always practical to do that.
I just try to keep well away when possible although I accept it is
not always practical to do that.

I have never been so frightened in all my life! I had to take the rest of the day off as I couldn't stop shaking. All I could hear was him changing gear as he pushed me sideways towards a lamp-post........ To add insult to near-injury they docked my pay for going home early.
I think, on reflection, that the only way I could have avoided that shunt was if I had accelerated harder instead of dawdling along.

Give them room drive defensively.

Good advice Humph, but you're not normal..;)

What i mean is you are not the average car driver who uses their car to go to work, pop to the shops, visit Mum etc.
You are a very high mileage pro car driver, and you see whats happening on the roads daily, so you see and read the road situation as well as any good truck/coach driver, just from a lower seat.

Its not the same for someone who travels 10K a year and probably only a few major trunk road trips a year, they can't be expected to summarise the foreign-ness of every truck they approach, half the time car drivers are just trying to navigate their way around the increasingly congested road and find their way about, they can't really be expected to fine tune progress up the middle lane of a motorway assessing each truck as they approach to forward guess its potential for side swiping them.

I don't have any answers for this problem but i can forsee some govt knee jerk reaction when someone important gets wiped out (thats a deliberately cynical jibe at politicians, not meant at anyone here who rightly regard all of us as equally important), probably along the lines of banning trucks from overtaking or something equally idiotic thereby penalising all for the stupidity of the few...as usual.
You are a very high mileage pro car driver

Aw shucks GB, you say all the right things.......

;-)

( never claimed to be normal, but that's another story.....) tick tick tick.......
Dave E, you are missing the point completely, the driver of the truck is supposed to be a pro and should have complete awareness of whats going on around him/herself at any time regardless, and as a pro should be capable of taking all necessary precautions as well as making reasonable safe progress.

Its not a car drivers responsibility to make allowances for the cumbersome nature of a truck, thats the truck drivers sole purpose, if anything the truck driver should expect and be able to respond to anything a car driver is likely to do, many car drivers will not be long term experienced and won't have the foggiest idea what makes a truck tick.

As to the subject of middle lane use, well if more truck drivers used their loaves a bit a were just a little more courteous and restrained and patient and didn't carve so many car drivers up we wouldn't get quite so much flak.

On this forum i believe most anti truck comments have been fair, i post fairly regularly and most regulars here know what i do for a living, i think its pretty well balanced as a rule, and even the most ardent trucky must cringe sometimes at the antics that many truck drivers, British and otherwise get up to on the roads.
As with everything it takes one plonker to undo years of goodwill.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Dave E
Its not a car drivers responsibility to make allowances for the cumbersome nature of at truck thats the truck drivers sole purpose if anything the truck driver should expect and be able to respond to anything a car driver is likely to do <<

GB

I thought I gave a balanced view of what was being said. Clearly not, or are you missing the point?

I have to disagree with most of your response. The above quote underlines the ongoing problem on the roads in general. Yes, a professional driver should be aware of what goes on around him on the road and drive accordingly which I think is more or less what I said but that rule applies to ALL road users. You are making excuses for the idiots that drive as thought the road belongs to them and damn anyone who does not get out of the way. That is more akin to the daily dog eat dog traffic conditions on British roads. For me as an occasional trucker and what I see going on in front of me, it never ceases to me amaze me that there are not more accidents involving LGV's and cars. And to repeat, I am on the side of LGV drivers.

ps I don't know what you do for a living, you will have to enlighten me.
That is more akin to
the daily dog eat dog traffic conditions on British roads.

I drive a car transporter now, have for about twenty years and was on various other haulage for about thirteen or so years before that, that doesn't mean to say i know owt yet, i'm still learning..;)

You've stated the truth in your post, that ''a professional driver should be aware of what goes on around him on the road and drive accordingly''
thats the argument in a nutshell, you just cannot expect the normal car driver to be as competent as a high mileage experienced driver of any vehicle.

You also were correct with ''idiots that drive as though the road belongs to them and damn anyone who does not get out of the way'', to be honest i've seen that type of mentality increasing in truck driving over the years (the foreign truckers have their own standards, some good some not), we really do have to get our own house in order first, throwing stones in glass houses here.

I drive for a living, if i can't do it competently by now i 'need a good kick up in the ****'
that should be said with a fine Irish lilt and is a regular quote from my long departed lovely Mother..;)
Anyone who drives trucks for a living should be competent and safe, its what we do therefore goes with the territory and other roads users have a right to expect good predictable driving practice.

The average car driver is not a pro, their vehicle is just a means to get from A to B, their job or profession could be anything, you can't expect the same degree of expertise that you would expect from someone who covers 75K or more a year and is paid very well for their labours.
I don't expect to be as good at nursing/accountancy/selling as the pro's in those fields, so why should i expect a normal car driver to be so finely attuned to everything happening on the roads.

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - the swiss tony
The average car driver is not a pro their vehicle is just a means to
get from A to B their job or profession could be anything you can't expect
the same degree of expertise that you would expect from someone who covers 75K or
more a year and is paid very well for their labours.
I don't expect to be as good at nursing/accountancy/selling as the pro's in those fields
so why should i expect a normal car driver to be so finely attuned to
everything happening on the roads.

Agreed to a point GB, BUT.... some car drivers out there should never have got a licence!
as I have said before, I believe that as part of the learning process new drivers should (if possible) be taken out in/on all common types of road transport, or if that is not possible, they should at the very least be shown the differences in operation.
by that I mean visibility, use of available road space etc. either on a video, or inter-actively.

is it really that hard to realise a long vehicle will at times have to use more than one lane to turn?
is it really that hard to realise a fully loaded vehicle isnt as quick as a race car?

I feel the education is lacking and thats where the main problem lies.

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - klystron
I came across this video yesterday, and was absolutely stunned at the antics and irresponsiblity of this euroclown in his LHD eurotruck. The potential for killing innocents on the road goes without saying.

Any police in here that can point this towards their traffic department. Obviously not done on UK roads, but can't Interpol or someone track this guy down and prosecute him before he kills someone?

tinyurl.com/bf2m9n
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Al Sithi
"Anyone who drives trucks for a living should be competent and safe, its what we do therefore goes with the territory and other roads users have a right to expect good predictable driving practice."

And every trucker has the right to expect the same. But you soon learn to treat everyone on the road as a complete numpty if you want to stay safe.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - R75
I would say 90% of these types of accidents are avoidable by the car drivers. During some advanced training I was taught then when overtaking any vehicle on the motorway and it is in lane one then try and time your overtake so lane 3 is empty during the passing, this gives you an escape lane to get into!

But, I did once see it happen right in front of me on the M25, LHD Artic pulled a very quick lane change from lane 1 to 2, there is no way he could have looked properly. There was no chance the car could have had time to move either.

Now I saw this unfold from the seat of the artic I was driving, and told the Police what I had seen.

I have now given up moving over for cars when they join the motorway, I just keep to my speed and use my horn if it is necessary.

the standard of the average driver has gone down hill rapidly over the last few years!!!
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - movilogo
Why not make a rule that all LHD HGVs should have another qualified driver [to aid seeing] on the RHS while plying on UK roads?

Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Bromptonaut
HGV drivers should be professional enough to look out for cars but car drivers also need to heed the "if you cannot see my mirrors I cannot see you".

As a cyclist I'm very aware of the dangers of HGV's turning, even on bends in the orad never mind corners or roundabouts. On the car part of my journey to work I pass down a main road two lanes each way with a morning rush only bus lane at the kerbside. Traaffic lit junction after which main road bears right. Lorry drivers seem to keep right, either for space or due the bus lane stupidity discussed on the other thread. Every now and then a car will try and creep down the truckies nearside in the bus lane only to have to brake hard as they realise the trap is closing.

And one day I'll get details and report the drivers of the national haulier whose (UK/RHD) trucks regulalry barge in at roundabout while yacking on mobile.
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - yorkiebar
"in this case i was on a roundabout going straight ahead and from my left came an unanounced large hgv doing more than 30 mph straight across at 90 degrees to me

i was forced into an emergency stop mid roundabout cars behind me the same"

Hmmm !!!

Unnannounced but you had seen him before entering the roundabout?

If you stopped mid roundabout and he missed you, might I suggest you were venturing onto the roundabout before it was safe to do so?

I am not condoning the driving of many truckers (lhd and rhd) but I do think the average car driver thinks he has priority over all lorries and that doesnt help the situation!
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - pda
I've stayed out of this one up to now because GB ( Bless him)! seems to be holding his own pretty well!

However, there is a point or two I want to make and that I don't entirely agree with GB.

We are all responsible for our own safety, and as such need to be aware of when we are putting ourselves in danger.
Car drivers need to be made aware of blind spots and taught to minimise the time they are in them.
So often they want an escape route (lane 3) on the motorway, and as long as that is there, they are happy to ride along , halfway down a lorry trailer doing the same speed for miles, yet completely unaware that they are blocking the lorries escape route.

To the person who hasn't had any problems with lorries recently, yes, it is because you are a good driver and aware of what is going on around you.

To the drivers that have had problems then yes, there are a lot of bad lorry drivers out there and maybe you have found them, but it is still in your best interests to be aware of what they can see and what they can't.
And to the fraternity that say ( lorry drivers and car drivers) that there is no such thing as a blind spot with properly adjusted mirrors, I am happy to argue that point!

Pat
re "If you stopped mid roundabout and he missed you, might I suggest you were venturing onto the roundabout before it was safe to do so?"

yes I saw him, but I reasonably expected him to stop and give way to traffic from his right as per the basic rule of roundabouts, if you didnt operate with this assumption you would hardly ever be able to make progress on a roundabout

it is down the defensive way I was driving that allowed me to stop in time, many old dears would have gone into him

I agree defensive driving is a good idea, and give lots of room when you are approaching from behind etc

BUT i think the deaths on our roads from LHD trucks is going too far, and we are far too lenient on the drivers from abroad driving badly here

etc
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Cymrogwyllt
sticking to the roundabout issue I was taught never to be alongside a heavy, or indeed large due to the cut in of the rear wheels. (That was by a police class 1) Given the tendancy of 'drivers' to straight line the roundabout rather than following the lane the same goes for cars where possible.
And to the fraternity that say ( lorry drivers and car drivers) that there is
no such thing as a blind spot with properly adjusted mirrors I am happy to
argue that point!

Argue away Pat..;)

I'll think of something tomorrow, and i'll ring me sis for ideas, she manages very well with a left hooker by choosing a overtaking vehicle and allowing chosen vehicle to 'sweep' the section beside her truck then she knows that the blind section (for want of a better word even though it isn't despite no fresnel lens, she is a proper driver and i'm immensely proud of her but don't tell her) is cleared, but off to bed now got to be up at 3.
I'm up at 3am too but that's exactly the way I do it on the nearside too!
It must be a woman thing:)

The blind spot I had in mind was the one caused my my offside mirrors which makes cars dissapear on roundabouts.

Fit more mirrors?....I don't think so.

Pat
The blind spot I had in mind was the one caused my my offside mirrors
which makes cars dissapear on roundabouts.
Fit more mirrors?....I don't think so.

Drat and double drat i was looking forward to a good row/discussion over the (lack of) n/s blind spot and you've burst me bubble..;)

I agree 100% on fit no more mirrors to the drivers side, 1 sensibly sized convex as fitted to our Scanny's is plenty, as for the other Scandinavian truck, what berk decided on wardrobe size mirrors in even larger casings being only 2 ft from the drivers head and full window height...field of vision blockage or what?
It helps not having 2 sq ft of daintily angled tassled curtain hanging over the glass too..
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - adverse camber
Of course the best answer would be for the uk to start driving on the other side.

//sits back to enjoy the popcorn....
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - David Horn
Not a LHD problem but want to have a rant about HGV drivers tonight regardless. At motorway junctions where lane 1 becomes the sliproad with the opportunity to join it later on from lane 2, why do HGV drivers ALWAYS set up a rolling roadblock?

tinyurl.com/annoying-hgv

If there were continuing on the motorway it's not a problem, but on 4 occasions today they blocked the road for a mile or more, leaving queues of traffic behind them as they then run parallel all the way up the sliproad.

Also, if you're going to change an overhead lightbulb on the M6, 4pm is not the time I'd choose to do it.
It's not something I do, or something I approve of, but it is something that works for us regardless of my feelings.

When a lorry driver does that, all of a sudden the inside lane starts to flow again.

So many cars ( and HGV's) insist on barging in at the last minute of the lane drop, that the inside lane comes to a halt completely.

Now, bear in mind that our tacho's are ticking away recording every minute sat there, and add to that the booking time for delivery we have to meet, it makes it easier to understand.

Pat
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Statistical outlier
Oh I don't know Pat, I think it's worth condoning and indeed applauding. Partly because it makes the traffic flow much better than it would otherwise, and partly because of the apoplexy to which it reduces many aggressive, push on drivers :-).

Note that I'm being careful not to stereotype any particular car brand here.
If you look closely, you will see that the two lorries bot have their windows down and are swapping local gossip, pork pie with bits of ginger cake, and making each other cups of coffee too!

But as a true professional I always make sure I am inside lane when all this happens!:)

Pat
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again! - Old Navy
Nearly killed by a LHD HGV again!

Didnt learn from the last incident by the sound of it. On a daily basis I see car drivers put themselvs into dangerous situations with HGV's, probably totally oblivious to the danger. If all drivers were trained to the standard of UK HGV drivers a lot of these incidents would not occur. A combination of poor driving standards, and blame culture account for most complaints about HGV drivers here.

Edited by Old Navy on 10/03/2009 at 20:15