Keep your hands where the cops can see them - uk_in_usa
When people ask me about driving in the USA I usually limit my advice to 'if you get pulled over don't do anything to make the officer nervous'.

Here's a good example of why

tinyurl.com/aeyf66

Police opened fire on an unarmed couple during a routine traffic stop late Tuesday night because one officer "thought he was shot," a high-ranking Salinas Police Department official said Thursday. "He saw what he perceived as a threat and thought he was shot, and based on that both officers discharged their firearms," said Dino Bardoni, commander of investigations.

In spite of that, fortunately,...

No one was hurt in the 11:24 p.m. incident at North Sanborn Road and Freedom Parkway, but the couple's SUV was riddled with bullet holes and its rear window was shattered.

Keep your hands where the cops can see them - Lud
Funny that. I thought I had been shot in the off-licence the other night and fired all seven rounds of SSG out of the chromed cut-down 10-bore Mossberg pump I keep under my coat. But although Oddbins was busy I am such a useless shot that no one was hurt. The damage came to about two and a half grand for alcohol (still waiting for the shopfitter's quote) but my black Amex card coped with that.

Phew! Quite embarrassing really.
Keep your hands where the cops can see them - FotheringtonThomas
Hell's bells. What are they *on*? At the end of the article:

(last year) Maria Irma Del La Torre, 45, of Salinas (was) was shot and killed when officers mistook a knitting needle for an ice pick and said she lunged at them

Pffft! I'm glad I don't live there!
Keep your hands where the cops can see them - Old Navy
When I was a youngster on my first visit to the USA I made the mistake of getting out of my car when stopped for a minor speeding offence. I turned round to look down the wrong end of a gun barrel. Rapid learning curve!
Keep your hands where the cops can see them - madux
police Chief 'Daniel Ortega'. That name rings a bell.
Keep your hands where the cops can see them - uk_in_usa
police Chief 'Daniel Ortega'. That name rings a bell.

The brass plate on his desk probably has his name and beneath in smaller letters

"(No relation)"

It's an easy mistake to make though. How often during the day do you find yourself thinking, "whoops I just got shot" and then realizing you're ok.
Keep your hands where the cops can see them - Chris White
Not excusing this at all, but the city of Salinas has some real problems with violent crime, gang violence and unemployment.