2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - scouseford
The mechanism for releasing the bonnet catch involves involves inserting the ignition key into an opening in the centre of the radiator grille, giving it a quarter turn anti-clockwise (which partly releases the bonnet) followed by a half turn clockwise which completes the release. The second phase has ceased to work and I cannot now access the engine compartment.

Any suggestions?
2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - spikeyhead {p}
give the bonnet a good thump as you're turning the key
2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - jim holland
I had the same thing happen and got a bit desperate but all you have to do is push the bonnet down at the front while turning the key. Then listen for the click.
It happens most times but I'm not bothered about it now.
Thanks, guys. It's pretty unfriendly outside here at the moment and my problem is not exactly super urgent so I'll try both possible remedies tomorrow morning.

Jim, I like your statement 'all you have to do is ---'. They are the sort of remedies to which I can relate.

I'll report back on Tuesday morning.
I'm afraid that neither remedy worked so I've had to take it in to my local independent this morning.
2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - Peter
I had the same problem om my 54 Reg TDCI and my local garage had to damage & replace the front grill to gain access. Removal and replacement of the lock mechanism as per the Haynes manual and the total cost was £148.00. The fault was internal to the lock and they did not open it up see why.
2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - 'Brian'

what did you do then?

2001 2.0 P Unable to open bonnet - 'Brian'

rug on engine bonnet will not open what do i do

Tried all prevous suggestions