I Have A Question - Volume 273 [Read only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 274 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 273. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2009 at 16:58

Bathroom Fan Heater Electrical Regulations - bintang
Does anyone know what these are please? An elecrtician told me he could not install a replacement shower without installing an outside switch, as pull swictches are no longer legal in bathrooms.
Bathroom Fan Heater Electrical Regulations - Rattle
He is right according to this

bs7671explained.com/17thEdition_SpecialLocations.h...l

Only switches that are built into fixed electrical equipment, the insulated pull cords of pull cord switches and switches of SELV circuits not exceeding 12v ac or 30v dc are permitted in zone 1. The SELV transformer and isolator must be outside zones 0, 1 & 2. No other switches or accessories are allowed. 701.512.3

However I am not sure if the cord is allowed in zone 2, if it is then your bathroom may be large enough to have such a cord but it depends on zones. I would have thought that adding an external isolator switch is not a massive job. I would be more worried about your consumer unit, if its old he may well refuse to do it unless this is replaced depending on the shower needed.

Bathroom Fan Heater Electrical Regulations - henry k
Beautifully explained :-)
Any other sources that explain things in simple terms?
I can't post the link but if you post DIY and 17th edition into google you will find a lot of people who can answer this question in plain english. In breif bathrooms are seperated into zones I cannot remember the distances but things such as a push cord has to be within a certain distance to a bath or shower, in a small bathroom that won't be possible so an external isolator is required.

Interestly is now legal to have plug sockets in a bathroom provided in its zone 4 I think and its protected by the usual RCDs.

There is plenty of information on google about the IEEE 17th Edition wiring regulations.

Edited by Rattle on 07/02/2009 at 14:07

Bathroom Fan Heater Electrical Regulations - Stuartli
>>.. in a small bathroom that won't be possible>>

Surely it would be more possible, unless you mean outside a certain distance to a bath or shower?
Yep it has to be a certain distance. I used to know the exact distances etc (for no real reason) but its a long time since I have read up on it but the information is freely on google you just need to some digging. There is bounced to be a sparky or so on here too.

All I can say is it sounds like the sparky is correct but its impossible to know unless we have the exact measurements of the bathroom. It is not in the interest of a spark to bloat a job out anyway as it gives them a bad reputation.

In my job I always do the easiest and simplist job even if it means I don't earn as much money the client is a lot happier.
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - Nsar
We have a new dog, another rescue.

He's a bit bonkers and whilst largely well trained, he has seemingly come from a home where they let him up on the furniture. We are working to train him not to but he is a headstrong little blighter.

Do these spray deterrents actually work and if so, which works best?

Thanks
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - Altea Ego
Do these spray deterrents actually work and if so which works best?
Thanks

for a bonkers dog mostly not. patience and keep working on the training. Find out what drives him (ie what he wants more than anything in the world, food/tuggy/toy/hugs) most and use that to treat him Be carefull not to treat him for getting off the furniture as this becomes a fab game.
Good point that last one, thanks.

I think he most wants a hug which if you knew me would be proof positive that he is doolally.
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - FotheringtonThomas
No.

Battery. Flasher unit. Capacitor (condensor). Coil. Keeps children and visitors off, too.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 08/02/2009 at 23:15

Er, thanks. Can I have that in English please?
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - oilrag
`Punishment` is a stronger reinforcer (avoidance) than reward. Soloman and Wynne`s 1955 experiments with dogs were the sort of `gold standard` for understanding that.

Edited by oilrag on 09/02/2009 at 07:21

`Punishment` is a stronger reinforcer (avoidance) than reward. Soloman and Wynne`s 1955 experiments with dogs

Absolute tripe and typical of 50 years old ignorance. Positive renofcement produces dogs with much better temperaments and much more drive than negative reinforcement which produces windy, sly, resentful curs.

Ask the police. In fact ask northants police who's best dog ( a malinios) was trained by someone I know who mostly uses positive reinforcement.
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - nick
Agreed AE. Getting a dog to want to please it's owner more than doing what it originally wanted to do is the basis of good training. Punishment will do nothing to promote a healthy master/dog relationship.
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - FotheringtonThomas
Ask the police. In fact ask northants police who's best dog ( a malinios) was
trained by someone I know who mostly uses positive reinforcement.

Haven't they been censured really quite recently for using training methods which the RSPCA and others found questionable, to say the least?
Not sure about northants, Dont think so - the head of the dog section there is very much into postive reinforcement and producing dogs with enthusiasm and drive. (certainly better than the yorkshire counterparts who have to CARRY their dogs over farm yard gates (laughing stock) ) I know of other forces who have been caught being prehistoric with training tho.
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - Stuartli
>>Positive renofcement produces dogs with much better temperaments >>

Wholeheartedly agree. The majority of dogs want to please their owner (he/she should ensure that the dog realises they are the pack leader) and a reward at a suitable time helps to reinforce that enthusiasm.

Anyone who punishes a dog (or any other animal) because it doesn't do what is required should be punished even more harshly themselves. Even better is to ban them from owning animals if it warrants such a step.

I'm sure the owner of this brilliant parrot, featured on a talent show, didn't use "positive renofcement (sic)" to train him:

files.filefront.com/petstar+einsteinwvx/;6141796;/...l

Deterrent to dogs for furniture - deepwith
Both our 're-homed' dogs arrived thinking that they could leap on the furniture. Both learned very quickly not to - the first one within one day of arrival. We ignored them physically - no pushing them off etc - but firmly said 'Off'. Same with jumping up at us, stand like a statue and say 'off', although the newer one will still try that on with visitors.
Interestingly, when we took Merlin back to visit his old home, several months later, he reverted to his old behaviour both jumping on the furniture and scouting for any food left out. He also went and stood by the door, asking to leave, after a very short time!
Deterrent to dogs for furniture - Jane
Our Greyhound Lurcher was allowed on the settee suite until we got a new one! In order to stop her getting up on the cushions when we weren't around we used to stand them upright so there wasn't anywhere to sit (looks messy for a while!). She eventually got the message and doesn't get up on them at all now. She does have her own chair to sit on and goes straight to that for a lie down.

It might be worth getting a bed or a vetbed fleece (get it from the vets/pet shops) to put in the lounge for the dogs to lie in and train the them to go and lie down on that with the command 'bed'. The best command to teach a dog is NO! Very versatile! The minute they put one paw on the settee to get up a stern NO should warn them that they're not allowed. Intelligent dogs should get the hang of it pretty quickly, the slightly dimmer breeds might take a while!

Good luck!
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - oilrag
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently before embarkation to France? What were the possible implications of raising an army from within the church - on the pretext of Lollard suppression?
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - Phil I
Has to be a front runner in the Way Out Question Stakes today.

Mr X views should be interesting.

Happy History revision for all I say
Phil I
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - Nsar
Lollardy, I liked most of their films but Charpliny was a lot funnier.

Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - smokie
@Phil I

"Mr X views should be interesting."

He isn't even contributing to his topic. Your comment really isn't clever, funny or necessary. Please can people desist from trolling?

smokie, Moderator
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - adverse camber
I generally take the view that religeon is an excuse rather than a prime cause. People prefer to claim to be fighting for the one true god rather than for personal power. All of the stuff about repression of heresy is about power imo. Lots of people did very well out of suppressing the heretics.

Remember also that Richard II had recently been deposed, there were other families with better claims to the throne of England. The descent into civil war over the next hundred years and the destruction of the Percy and Neville families only underlines how this period represented pretty much a free for all.

Many history books look back on the French campaigns as being England vs France, I'd prefer to see them in the context of the families and alliances. Which I suspect is more how things were seen at the time.
As an afterthought, I'd have to look it up, but wasn't there a choice of popes at this time? All calling each other heretics?
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - Alanovich
>>The descent into civil war over the next hundred years and the destruction of the Percy >>and Neville families only underlines how this period represented pretty much a free for all.

Is Neville Neville the true King of England? Gary and Phil the next in line? I think we should be told.

Edited by Alanovich on 09/02/2009 at 13:27

It`s a serious question by the way. I`m reading in this area at the moment - hence the interest in others views.
I mean to say, it`s not my question that`s considered trolling, I hope?
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - rtj70
Oilrag. Reference was nothing to do with you.
what do you mean by raise an army from within the church? Sure many leaders of the church were there by virtue of birth/family rather than holy intentions, and were trained warriors, but the body of the church were clerics. Or do you mean a crusade or inquisition type thing? As I said the church itself was in a bit of a mess and I would think that they like the crown were really in a process of consolidation. If anything the church/pope sided with the french in the 100years war didnt they?

I`m writing from memory and am just about to start a new book - (on the 100 years war) after having read up specifically on the Agincourt campaign.

I understand that lollardy posed a threat to the Crown at the time and that Henry raised a call to arms within the church itself - before embarkation for France with his supporters that formulated the actual campaign army.

It seemed the church was only too ready to comply (Lollards being their main threat) and with presumably the law requiring Longbow practice of all adults - including the clergy?
It seemed almost what would be called the `Home Guard` in the second world war.

But I wondered about the full extent of risk to the realm - the Scotland issue and Spain for example and whether `the church` was sort of brought to arms under a Lollardy pretext..
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - L'escargot
Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently before embarkation to France?

Is this another of your quizzes? What's the prize for knowing the answer?
;-)

Edited by L'escargot on 10/02/2009 at 14:51

It`s just my current reading area L`Escargot ..

Why? Would you like another surreal Photo quiz ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 10/02/2009 at 15:03

Did Henry V suppress Lollardy sufficiently? - commerdriver
Why? Would you like another surreal Photo quiz ;-)

You mean you have photos of Henry V? ;-)
Allegedly his grandmothers desicated remains were in a rough wooden box for centuries in Westminster Abbey and were kissed by Samual Pepys..

Quiz? No it would be a separate issue in the `motoring dept` ;-)
Ok.... a mini quiz (if ok with mods)

What does Henry V and a Scimitar engine have in common?

Its a factual - decent and honest answer - with due respect.

Edited by oilrag on 10/02/2009 at 15:52

charity quiz help! - billy25
ok quiz lovers!

see if you can solve these for charity (B.H.F)
they are "doing" my head in! there were 50, but these are the ones i have left and need new views!!

1.16 b starring b.w
2.1919 year that L was B
3.LVB PS23 is known as A
4.There are 33 L in the R.A
5.1947 o.w f ck opened in N.Y
6.M holds 6 L of W
7.H 49 starring V.W

any help gratefully recieved!
cheers
Billy
charity quiz help! - VR6
Ludwig Van Beethoven Piano Sonata 23 is known as Appasionata
charity quiz help! - ifithelps

Methuselah holds six litres of wine - might expect that to be champagne, but I think the rest is too much of a coincidence for it not to be right.
Excellent ;-)!!!
keep 'em coming thanks!
i knew i needed fresh thoughts - you tend to get one line of thought stuck in your head, and you cant shift it!!

ta
Billy
charity quiz help! - RichardW
4: 33 letters in the Russian Alphabet
charity quiz help! - SpamCan61 {P}
#2 1919 liberace was born
charity quiz help! - Chips with everything
5.1947 o.w f ck opened in N.Y

Orson Wells featuring(?) Citizen Kane opened in New York.

Seems to be the wrong way around though.
charity quiz help! - ifithelps
Chips,

A possessive apostrophe might help us here....

Orson Welles' film Citizen Kane opened in New York.

Edited by ifithelps on 10/02/2009 at 16:25

charity quiz help! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Respect to you Brainboxes!!!
charity quiz help! - VR6
Housewife 48 starring Victoria Wood
16 Blocks starring Bruce Willis

Must admit - both above from searching for 48 and 16 in imdb.com
Absolutely Brilliant!!! - Thanks!

been at these for two days now and the backroom solves them in 10 minutes!!
next time you'll get all 50!!! ;-) (only kidding!)

big grins

billy
New Street "Furniture" - Armitage Shanks {p}
South West of London (Reading/Bracknell) I have seen a new device, usually near a major junction or roundabout. It consists of a metal pole a bit taller and thicker than the average lampost and painted white.About 8ft up it gets a bit narrower, stepped if you will, and at the top there is a thicker section about 8ft high which looks as though it might be a covered aerial, different texture. At the base there is a grey slatted box, next to the pole, but not attached to it. I don't think it is traffic master etc as there are no visible cameras of any sort. Some sort of police comms network equipment perhaps?
New Street "Furniture" - Alanovich
Glad someone asked this. I saw a team of chaps installing one of these in Emmer Green a few wekes back, whilst shuffling down Peppard Road in the usual queue. Absolute mystery to me. Wish I'd wound the window down and asked them at the time.
New Street "Furniture" - rtj70
Is it not a mast for a mobile network. Although aren't they meant to be deploying a new comms system in London for the emergency services that can be used down in tube stations.
New Street "Furniture" - FotheringtonThomas
Telephone mast.
Where to put unexpected money - PoloGirl
One for the financial experts/watchers...

I have unexpectedly (and legally) received £5k. And I've no idea what to do with it!

I have a masterplan, kick started by my current uncertain work situation (hence the money being very welcome). I need to do something with this money that will make it grow by the most amount possible by September 2009.

Where would you put it? I haven't put anything in my Nationwide ISA (started as a Portman one) this tax year, but the interest rate isn't much good, and when I was saving for my flat the best option was to use a cahoot savings account, but that doesn't seem as good now.

Where to put unexpected money - daveyjp
Anything over 4% on such a small amount over a short time is now very hard to find.

The biggest growth potential in terms of cash is Premium Bonds - 5000 chances of winning a million every month, but the probability of winning is small.

You may pick up a few small wins over the year with a few thousand bonds.
Where to put unexpected money - rtj70
For somewhere safe to put £5000 that may see a return I'd say premium bonds. But I have more than that in bonds and in the last year got less than I would have done in an ISA. With interests rates now so low I'll leave it.... might win big on 1st March.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/02/2009 at 20:05

Where to put unexpected money - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am NOT giving financial advice - I am not qualified and it isn't legal for me to do so! However, as a suggestion Google for ZOPA.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 12/02/2009 at 20:16

£5K would give PG 10000 chances of winning a million - there are 2 x £1 million prizes per month according the Relevant website. Still long odds though I agree.
Where to put unexpected money - David Horn
Buy Euros?
Where to put unexpected money - Stuartli
I used to have £2k of Premium Bonds and, on the first day of one particular month about eight years ago, when I checked the winners on Channel 4 text, realised that I had the initial part of the winning million pound number.

That meant a fairly reasonable chance of the big win but, after checking, I found that I was about 140,000 odd numbers short of the winning combination (so someone had bought their bonds very shortly before me).

The feeling was so depressing that I withdraw all the £2k worth of Premium Bonds and spent it on a pile of new computer equipment, including some for the offspring, and felt very, very much better afterwards.

My feeling was that if I had come that close to the £1m without winning, it was a waste of time retaining the Premium Bonds, and that I might as well enjoy the benefits of spending the money.

Ironically, the chance of winning these days, even small sums, is drastically reduced.
My wife has got more in winnings in the last 12 months than she would have got interest in a bank account. Lots of £50 and some £100 prizes.
Where to put unexpected money - drbe
This site normally gives very sound advice.

tinyurl.com/5ewjm

Edited by drbe on 12/02/2009 at 20:49

Where to put unexpected money - jbif
Investing £5k for around 6 months.

Following is not advice, just what I would think about and consider doing myself, and all IMO:

1. If any debts, pay those off, beginning with highest interest charges first [unless it is a tracker mortgage].

2. decide level of risk I wish to take, then have a flutter as below.

3. low/zero risk, go for premium bonds, which on average luck may yield about £100 over 6 months. If very lucky, a lot more. If less than average luck, then zero return but capital is safe.

4. high risk, then stock markets investing in low cost ETFs, but over a period of 6 months is a pure gamble.

5. medium risk, go for gold. At least you are unlikely to lose too much, and it is possible you will make a good return.
Again use ETFs. [ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange-traded_fund ]

To buy/sell Gold at minimum dealing charges [ overall should be 1% or less, i.e. £50 total ], get an ETF from an online dealer such as Selftrade.co.uk . One popular ETF is:

uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=2y&s=GLD&l=on&z=m&q=l&...I

www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/01/02/top-stock-picks-.../

finance.aol.com/charts/spdr-gold-shares/gld/nys/cl...s

The risk is that everyone is piling in to Gold now, and this may be creating a bubble waiting to burst. Also, Gold is priced in Dollars, so there is a currency effect.
Say you buy x amount of Gold for $y:
If $ goes up in value, your x amount of Gold, goes up in £ value.
If $ gets weaker, then your x amount of Gold, goes down in £ value.

Edited by jbif on 12/02/2009 at 20:52

Premium bonds - I've got loads and hadn't thought of that. Hmmm!

Don't think I'm brave enough for gold! Aiming for low risk, because this will either be used for a new car if I have to change jobs and give the golf back, or to make an advance payment on my mortgage so that I can take a payment break and retrain.

Thanks all (and don't worry, I am due to see the IFA again in the next couple of months because my mortgage fixed rate is running out...)

Premium bonds - I've got loads and hadn't thought of that. Hmmm!

Probably because you haven't won - like me.

There is a maximum though - £20k?
Where to put unexpected money - FotheringtonThomas
If you have a mortgage, what are you paying in interest terms now, hm? What you *are* paying is of course an opportunity cost.
Where to put unexpected money - madux
Let me invest it for you and I'll turn it into £25000 in six months.

Signed

B. Maddoff
>>Let me invest it for you and I'll turn it into £25000 in six months.>>

I've got £55k to invest if you are interested...:-)
Where to put unexpected money - madux
I've got £55k to invest if you are interested...:-)

Meet me at the Old Abandoned Warehouse at midnight tomorrow. I'll be carrying a rolled-up copy of The Telegraph and wearing sunglasses. Cash, of course.
>>Cash, of course.>>

When do I get the £25k back though?
Where to put unexpected money - L'escargot
Regular (i.e. monthly deposit) savings accounts, funded by a standing order, currently pay in the region of 5% to 6% AER gross.

For example the "Halifax Regular Saver" pays 5% AER gross. It has a maximum monthly deposit of £500 (minimum £25) so £5000 could easily be paid into it during its 12 months duration. The amount of the standing order can be changed at any time ~ maximum £500 per month, minimum £25 per month. At the end of the 12 month period the balance plus interest is transferred to another (nominated) account that you have with Halifax, and the regular savings starts all over again for another year. If you make a withdrawal or miss a payment the account is closed and the interest rate is reduced to something like 0.5%.

Barclays "Monthly Savings" pays 6% AER gross, but there is a maximum deposit of £250 monthly and the rate reduces to 3.03% AER in a month that you make a withdrawal.

Martin Lewis is currently recommending these types of accounts in www.momeysavingexpert.com, and recently on TV.
Where to put unexpected money - L'escargot
Martin Lewis is currently recommending ...........

He's also recommending that in the current financial climate you should review your savings monthly and move your money about as necessary to get the best rates of interest.
Where to put unexpected money - ifithelps
Can I second the snail?

I did some limited research on this subject a couple of weeks ago and the regular savings accounts emerged as among the best on offer at the moment.

Barclays is the one to go for, according to what I was told.

Where to put unexpected money - Altea Ego
Hello Miss Pologirl

My name is Dr Nikodo Umbunga. I have 5 million dollars ($5,000,000) in a bank acount lodged at the First Bank of Nigeria.

Send me a western union money order for £5000 uk stirling and I will use this to open an account to transfer the 5 million dollars ($5,000,000) into an account in your name.

My god brighten your path

please respond quickly.

Dr Nikodo Umbunga
Where to put unexpected money - Mapmaker
Seriously, 5k on deposit for 6 months it isn't worth worrying about too much. At 6% after 20% tax, that leaves you with £120 interest; these days you'll be lucky to find much over 3%, which is going to earn you £60...

tinyurl.com/aw3jcw - link to list of best buy accounts - I'd go with the A&L if I were desperate enough to try to earn an extra tenner. It's a lot of hard work opening a new bank account... what with money laundering regulations.

I quite like the Premium Bond idea. But note that bonds don't go into the draw until one full month after purchase.
Yup - so chuck it in as an extra mortgage payment (if no penalties).
I have an A&L Pemier 50 account which charges a £10 a month fee but pays 8.5% gross on a £2500 balance. This fine but after 12 months the fee contunues and interest drops to Base Rate minus 1% which is soon going to no interest so I must remember to downgrade the account and stop the fee. There is a similar one year good deal with Abbey but you won't be accepted for it from A&L as they are both part of the Santander Group
It is a lot of faff to set something up for six months which wont earn decent interest. The more I think about it, the more I fancy the premium bonds.
Where to put unexpected money - smokie
Go for High Risk, do some share dealing. I've been playing with £5k since Christmas and, sticking with bank shares (as they are very volatile and can move many percentages in a day) I'd made it up to £6.9 k on 3 buy/sell events. Lost a few bob on Lloyds on Wed (£400) and another £350 on RBS the same day, but made back £250 yesterday, currently showing 27% up. And that's dealing with the share dealing arm of a well known bank - who are reasonably expensive per deal.

Just glad I didn't have any (Lloyds) shares today.

But then - I've had time on my hands - and I've got very lucky - in fact my problem has been that I bail out too soon when the shares are on a roll. Could have made 30% on RBS inside one day recently - I'd bought at a good price but got out when I was 12% up, in just hours. Also would not have lost the £350 if I'd had a bit more bottle. Most deals are only over two days max.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd have the nerve to try to make a living at it, and I can imagine it would take serious time and commitment. I prefer watching greyhounds or horses but have been more successful at this form of gambling...

Edited by smokie on 14/02/2009 at 01:03

Where can I get *instant* share deals at a high street bank?
Where to put unexpected money - nick
Where can I get *instant* share deals at a high street bank?

There are plenty of online sharedealing services. I use First Direct, £10 per deal.
You are unlikely nowadays to make good return.

I've just dumped some cash into my mortgage. Now I don't have to pay so much interest.
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - maz64
When listening to the TV in the kitchen with the digibox off, BBC1 is much louder than the other channels, and almost sounds distorted (it's a small TV). I've tried retuning it, and on digital BBC1 it's fine.

I emailed the BBC who said they're not aware of any reported faults with the Crystal Palace transmitter and that distorted sound is usually an indication of poor signal strength. But there's nothing else that indicates a weak signal - other channels are fine, including the digital ones.

Has anyone else noticed this, particularly in the Reading area? BTW I'm not sure our signal comes from Crystal Palace - we get BBC South and Meridian if that's relevant.

F
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - rtj70
You should be able to check your transmitter using this link:

www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe?
You should be able to check your transmitter using this link:

Thanks- Hannington is listed first, and IIRC that name crops up when I retune the digibox. Might try contacting BBC again.
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - SpamCan61 {P}
Yes Hannington cross ( between Basingstoke and Newbury) sounds most likely for your location.

I haven't checked the frequency allocations for analogue and digital for hannington but maybe there's a slight chance there is some weird interferance going on between them that is upsetting your TV.
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - SpamCan61 {P}
Are there other TVs in the house fed from the same aerial that are not behaving in this way? My first thought is that BBC1 analogue on this TV is slightly off tune.
Are there other TVs in the house fed from the same aerial that are not
behaving in this way?

I should have checked that- will do tonight. Thanks.
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - rtj70
If it's okay on digital (and analogue will be turned off) then I might just leave it.
If it's okay on digital (and analogue will be turned off) then I might just
leave it.

Well yes, but no point wasting energy using digibox when not needed, and I'm curious to know what's causing it.
BBC1 very loud (analogue) - Stuartli
Normally it's ITV's sound that is much higher than the BBC or other channels. I use my integrated TV's menu setup's automatic level control (ALC) to save having to continually adjust the sound, but not every TV may have this feature.

In the case of Freeview set top boxes, it's usually the radio channels that prove very much louder for any given TV sound setting.
Credit cards. - 1400ted
Just read a story in the paper that elderley folk are having their credit limits reduced in case they die owing the bank lots of money.
That story made me notice something else.....my bill arrived yesterday, and being a good boy, I settled down to write a cheque this morning to clear it off. The amount owing was just under £35.00. While reading the bill and looking, out of interest, for the'settle by' date, I noticed that the minimum payment to be made was £25.00. I have no credit problems etc and wonder if anyone else has come across this. I would have expected the minimum on my balance to be £5.00 as it has always been.
I wonder if the banks are now trying to increase their monthly income in this way ?
If you owe them £3500.00 are they going to ask for £2500.00 minimum?
Ted
Credit cards. - ifithelps
Minimum payment on mine is £5.

The balance was zero and I spent £470 on it this month.

The estimated interest for next month is £6.60.

So if I make only the minimum payment, I'll get deeper and deeper in debt.

I'll be clearing the balance, but it goes to show credit cards are a very expensive way of borrowing, even with base rates where they are now.

Credit cards. - Stuartli
>>Minimum payment on mine is £5.>>

The normal practice is a percentage of the amount owing (in the case of my credit card it's two per cent with a minimum of £5) - not quite the same thing....:-)
Credit cards. - Rattle
I owe them £600 and £80 of that is for tyres for my old car :( my minimum is £16 a month but I tend to pay back at least 40.

I don't really understand any of it. I am using my credit card to buy a car as it will work out a lot cheaper than a car loan due to my circumstances, 26 living at home and self employed is risky for the banks even though I have good credit history and a good APR with my credit card.
Credit cards. - rtj70
What I noticed happening fairly recently is whereas if you used to settle the bill in full you paid no interest, some cards charge interest anyway.

Rattle, are you going to pay back the credit card a lot quicker (i.e. more per month) if you get the new car. That could be a costly way of borrowing the money. APR make it easier to compare deals but I hope the actual interest rate is below a bank loan rate.
Credit cards. - Rattle
its 11% APR and I intend to pay off between £80 and £150 a month, the great thing is it gives me the flexibility some months I earn a lot more than others. I only need to borrow upto £800 on the card, I have the rest in cash.

I doubt I would get a loan of less than 30% APR from a bank. My ex wanted to buy a car privately so she had to get an APR of 100% from some barely legal sharks in Stockport. She soon got a much lower rate and paid it all off but even so.

All the dealers have told me that I would not get a decent car loan for a car over 5 years old so my credit card is the best bet, but I guess there is no harm in trying my bank to see if they can do any better but they don't seem to be lending anything atm.
Credit cards. - Fullchat
Isn't this to some extent what the credit crunch is all about? Credit card being 'maxed' and payments only paying off the interest? A nation living off long term credit.
I appreciate that they can be convenient and suit some peoples circumstances more than others.
Credit cards. - ifithelps
...The normal practice is a percentage of the amount owing (in the case of my credit card it's two per cent with a minimum of £5) - not quite the same thing....:-)...

Mine is the greater of £5 or one per cent.

So with a balance of £470-odd I have, by chance, spent nearly as much as I could without triggering the percentage charge.

I'm no arithmetician, but I think the anomaly of the interest being greater than the minimum payment would still stand, whatever the balance.
Credit cards. - hxj

They all vary mine include:

£5 + any interest and charges

£25

£5 or 2.25% of the balance

£10 or 3% of the balance

etc etc

Given that we are apparently a nation of credit card junkies I find it amazing that as a country the value debit card transactions exceeds that of credit card transactions by about 3:1
Credit cards. - 1400ted
All very interesting. I have about 5 Credit Cards, probably about £30.000 available...they wish ! Only use for derv/petrol...Shell card. Grocery delivery...Asda card. Just keep a few pounds on the others, maybe one small purchase a month just to keep them alive and always pay off in full before the 'fine' kicks in. Got a letter from one to say 0% interest til September...handy, cos it's got a £10.000 limit and I'm just about to buy and install a new kitchen, etc. Will use their card now instead of writing cheques everywhere.
Incidentally, the letter informing me of 0% interest, which must have been sent to a million other customers, had my full card number at the top...WHY ?
Rattle, get a 0% card if you can and keep transferring balance when it runs out.
Ted
Credit cards. - drbe
I have direct debits set up to pay mine off each month. Saves messing about with cheques and/or squeezing payments in when you are on holiday etc.

If you can't afford to pay it off in full each month, why not set up a direct debit for the minimum amount and then top that up with whatever you can afford. Then you are covered against penalty charges if you forget or the cheque is late for any reason.